Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla created secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madmolecule

Supporting Member
Dec 28, 2022
Duluth, GA
wow mind-blown, how can this be, not Tesla, must be woke mind virus.

Tesla’s secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints

lightX.png

The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. I'm sure Tesla chose the optimal range measurement, but the real-world experiences didn't match. The "secret" team was meant to stop owners from seeking useless repair solutions without causing a PR nightmare.

It was made out to be more nefarious than it seems.

yes, overblown and it was only Tesla not wanting to confuse ignorant customers, that were so stupid, they thought their car was not working properly and needed service. I thought my BMS needed recalibration as the shills on the forum were saying, and as an Electrical/control engineer that made sense. In fact they increased the Range from the time I purchased mine to 310 miles. I am sure the marketing dept made that announcement at the end of a quarter. I should have know it was just marketing hype and my car was working perfectly, except for a $2,000 software bug fix to enhance acceleration.

As it has been pointed out here every car manufactures lies and avoids explaining the lie to the consumer. I put the blame on Reuters. I sure they were going to do another "Tesla FSD game changer article", but this one must have slipped through.

As a relatively new owner with <3,000 miles on my 2022 long range MY (Austin, TX build), I've been pretty unimpressed with the range I'm getting. Not that I have any solutions here, but just to commiserate, I bought the long range model in hopes of getting to Boston without having to charge, which is ~200 miles for me. Sadly, after charging up to ~95% I still need to stop at a supercharger when I'm about ~150 miles into my trip because the battery will be at ~15% SOC at that point. The route has some hills and I'm generally doing 65 MPH and never more than 70 (trying my best to maximize range without going too slow).

Attached is a picture of where things were at on another recent 143 mile trip from the Cape up to a supercharger in NH. I left with 93% on the battery and arrived at the supercharger with 16% left. The entire route is quite flat, I drove my usual 65 MPG, encountered no traffic that caused a speed change below 50 or above 65, and as the picture shows it was a sunny 43F degree day. So, basically it took 79% of the battery's charge to drive 143 miles, which represents ~43% of the 330 miles I should get under the most ideal driving conditions (my conditions were pretty good aside from the chilly but not frigid temps).

I've run the battery diagnostics and have a little over ~3% degradation already, which seems fairly typical at this point (I mostly charge at home to 80% SOC each night, but 25% of the total charging I've done has been on superchargers because of these trips).

To add insult to injury, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to make it 200 miles to Boston without charging, but my neighbor with a Chevy Bolt makes that trip routinely and has NEVER had to stop and charge before reaching his destination.

All things considered, I'm incredibly disappointed given that the primary reason I went with the Tesla was for the range, and it simply can't deliver on its promise. Alternatively, I can get a car that actually delivers on the range I need for half the price and almost zero wait (I waited 7.5 months for my MY!).
Has everyone seen this news?! Tesla’s Real-World And EPA Range Significantly Different: Recurrent Data

Analytical findings from 12K vehicles showed that Teslas achieve ~60% of their advertised range in 70-90F temps, and only ~45% in 30F temps.

That gives you - AT BEST - 200 miles of range in a Model Y, which explains why the guy I know with a Chevy Bolt routinely outdistances me, and why I can't get more than ~200 miles myself. RIDICULOUS!

To add insult to injury, "Tesla allegedly rigged its range-estimating software by writing algorithms for the range meter that would display optimistic projections for the distance the vehicle could cover on a single charge" (source: Tesla Set Up Secret Team To Stifle Thousands Of Range Complaints: Report).

My blood is boiling about this and I was surely one of THOUSANDS who made inquiries with Tesla after discovering this issue and was told nothing was wrong with the vehicle despite my vehicle's data showing otherwise.

I'm seriously considering a class action suit against Tesla for this. False advertising and outright fraud.

Teslas, by default, show "miles remaining" simply based on EPA rated for mixed driving. At least it seems to adjust it for actual pack capacity. Drive on the highway at speed and you'll not make those numbers. Drive conservatively in the city, and you might best them. What of the average consumer? The car says right on its screen it can go 351 miles... why should it go any less!

Other manufacturers provide a range estimate based on recent and current driving conditions. I've always thought Tesla's choice in the matter was a terrible shortcut that ultimately results in people overestimating the range of their cars in real world driving. That EVs have less range on the highway is counterintuitive to people used to ICE vehicles. Further, that cold weather can cut range in half is one of those fine print things new drivers are simply not expecting. Companies selling EVs would rather not mention it for fear of losing the sale. Today's profits at the expense of repeat customers.

We keep our car set to Percentage. The Rated Range display is not in the least bit useful, unless you're doing an EPA Range Test.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The headline is completely misleading. It wasn't about suppressing complaints; it was about taking care of their requests remotely and preventing the service staff from having to deal with nuance requests where there is nothing for them to service. (Customer education.)

Even the one guy they quoted that refused to cancel his service appointment ended up saying that they were correct and there was nothing wrong with his car, he just didn't understand that he wasn't going to get the EPA rated range in all driving conditions. (Tesla used to have a widget on their site where you could put in your speed and temperature and it would give you an estimate for how many miles you could actually drive, but they got rid of it.)

Teslas, by default, show "miles remaining" simply based on EPA rated for mixed driving. At least it seems to adjust it for actual pack capacity.
That's also my experience. I think they should consider making battery percentage the default, and not show miles on the dash display unless you deliberately go in and switch to that. In fact. . . I think an argument could be made for getting rid of the "guess-o-meter" completely. If you want a range projection, then set a destination in the nav system and get a really good estimate.

Has everyone seen this news?! Tesla’s Real-World And EPA Range Significantly Different: Recurrent Data

Analytical findings from 12K vehicles showed that Teslas achieve ~60% of their advertised range in 70-90F temps, and only ~45% in 30F temps.

That gives you - AT BEST - 200 miles of range in a Model Y, which explains why the guy I know with a Chevy Bolt routinely outdistances me, and why I can't get more than ~200 miles myself. RIDICULOUS!

To add insult to injury, "Tesla allegedly rigged its range-estimating software by writing algorithms for the range meter that would display optimistic projections for the distance the vehicle could cover on a single charge" (source: Tesla Set Up Secret Team To Stifle Thousands Of Range Complaints: Report).

My blood is boiling about this and I was surely one of THOUSANDS who made inquiries with Tesla after discovering this issue and was told nothing was wrong with the vehicle despite my vehicle's data showing otherwise.

I'm seriously considering a class action suit against Tesla for this. False advertising and outright fraud.
Your quarrel is with the EPA that sets the guidelines for determining EV range.

The article you mention is overblown. Tesla is merely using the government-certified EPA range in their calculation.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your quarrel is with the EPA that sets the guidelines for determining EV range.

The article you mention is overblown. Tesla is merely using the government-certified EPA range in their calculation.
Well.... yes and no. Tesla uses the most liberal version of the range estimate, whereas most other manufacturers use the most conservative. This is shown out by various articles that show actual range relative to rated range. Tesla typically has a lower percent in these these sorts of tests. Google it, there are plenty of sources out there. That said, I am not complaining about my cars range. Unlike some others here, I did some research prior to buying and understood that I wasn't going to get the 316 miles my car was rated for at the time, and it doesn't bother me in the least. Keep it to percent, stop when the car tells you to stop, and get on your way.

That's also my experience. I think they should consider making battery percentage the default, and not show miles on the dash display unless you deliberately go in and switch to that. In fact. . . I think an argument could be made for getting rid of the "guess-o-meter" completely. If you want a range projection, then set a destination in the nav system and get a really good estimate.
I was thinking just that but didn't add it to my post. Perhaps much handwringing about range anxiety could be solved by a) having more public charging (L2 and L3), b) defaulting to percentage instead of miles-to-empty, and c) emphasizing the convenience of overnight charging at home or workplace charging instead of letting new owners continue to think in terms of charging stations for day-to-day.

Right now road tripping in my Model 3 is closer to flight planning that it should be. While it's kind of nerdy fun, but for most folks that's just too much math and anxiety. We should be more aiming for the "the battery is getting down... we probably should charge up at the next town, and maybe grab some lunch... hey can you look to see who's got the best kWh price and near some food options?"

Right now road tripping in my Model 3 is closer to flight planning that it should be. While it's kind of nerdy fun, but for most folks that's just too much math and anxiety. We should be more aiming for the "the battery is getting down... we probably should charge up at the next town, and maybe grab some lunch... hey can you look to see who's got the best kWh price and near some food options?"
Huh? Road tripping is incredibly easy in a Tesla. Just stop when the car says to stop, do your business and move on.... Very little nerdy planning needed.

Reactions: johnnycnote
Huh? Road tripping is incredibly easy in a Tesla. Just stop when the car says to stop, do your business and move on.... Very little nerdy planning needed.
Sure, in areas plentiful with chargers and when everything goes right, it's pleasantly straightforward. Do what the car tells you to.

However, certain segments of my WA to AZ route require charging to near 100% to make it through a charging desert. Not exactly a selling point to the other half (range anxiety is a thing). Other times we've shown up at a Supercharger and have had to wait, deal with half power at a V2, or worse, broken plugs.

All of this needs to be improved upon so we don't have to calculate "well let's see, the car says we can make it to the next charger and we'll arrive with 17%, but it was about 10% optimistic last time, so let's charge for another 5 minutes because there are ... no other options between here and there, and it's 110ºF with a headwind." That's what is too much like flight planning.

Sure, in areas plentiful with chargers and when everything goes right, it's pleasantly straightforward. Do what the car tells you to.

However, certain segments of my WA to AZ route require charging to near 100% to make it through a charging desert. Not exactly a selling point to the other half (range anxiety is a thing). Other times we've shown up at a Supercharger and have had to wait, deal with half power at a V2, or worse, broken plugs.

All of this needs to be improved upon so we don't have to calculate "well let's see, the car says we can make it to the next charger and we'll arrive with 17%, but it was about 10% optimistic last time, so let's charge for another 5 minutes because there are ... no other options between here and there, and it's 110ºF with a headwind." That's what is too much like flight planning.
Get yourself a CCS adapter (check first to make sure CCS is enabled on your car) then you can stop anywhere., And then you can nerd out and look for cheaper cost... :cool: