Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Customer Service ...... IS HORRIBLE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said this before, but they will not improve until there is a viable strong competitor on the market to give them a run. The only way they will start looking into customer service experience is when sales start dropping. So far there is no indication of that so current way of doing things will continue.

Sadly, by the time most companies wake up to notice that, it's already too late to repair the damage.

I've said this before, but they will not improve until there is a viable strong competitor on the market to give them a run. The only way they will start looking into customer service experience is when sales start dropping. So far there is no indication of that so current way of doing things will continue.

Ford, VW, Nissan, Cadillac, and others all have competition in the next year or so. They will have full tax rebates, standards based nav (Apple Carplay, Android Auto), heated steering wheels, standard charge ports, buttons, instrument cluster, and more. Hopefully Tesla grows up soon.

Ford, VW, Nissan, Cadillac, and others all have competition in the next year or so. They will have full tax rebates, standards based nav (Apple Carplay, Android Auto), heated steering wheels, standard charge ports, buttons, instrument cluster, and more. Hopefully Tesla grows up soon.

I thought GM had burned through the tax rebate (and Nissan must be close?).

Reactions: cwerdna
After owning the Model Y for 11 weeks I've given the service some thought and I agree it would be nice to pick up the phone and talk to someone. The problem with that is the associated cost to pay and train a person in each location. In business that is passed on to the consumer. As it is Tesla doesn't have dealerships to aid in keeping the costs down and making their cars as affordable as they can. How many naysayers have said that Tesla would never make it. Would never make a car at a profit? So far I'm impressed.
I am not pleased with what they do or how they do it but as has been said "when they have something to report, they do."
From what I've seen, experienced and read there is no other company that matches the Tesla product line and if you add in the huge investment in the supercharger network they are way ahead of the field.
That said, every time I go for a drive I marvel at the Model Y and just what it is.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
Most of us don't have this problem with our SC. My only problem is that they are 115 miles away and what little problems I have are hardly worth making an appointment for getting fixed. I have only needed service once in over 200,000 miles of driving. Let's hear it for gas cars. Anybody?

Tesla is selling more cars than they can build. I would recommend that owners take their cars to local body shops or mechanics for things like tires or window glass, and only use Tesla for actual Tesla problems. They are barely able to service the hundreds of thousands of cars they have on the road. I don't see Ford or GM cutting into their business model.

Personally, I have never had many problems. The car runs like a dream. The one in the picture is my fourth. And since nothing goes wrong with it, who needs the service center anyway?

Unlike GAS BURNERS, there is hardly anything that can go wrong with the car. Electric motors don't have oil or filter problems and batteries don't develop pings or knocks or loose bearings. The car is a better mode of transportation. For those of you who can't see that, there's always Honda.

They better improve quick. Mainstream car buyers will not put up with this. It's something that can kill a brand faster than anything else.

Mainstream car buyers buy Toyota or Ford, Chevy or Nissan. Electric car buyers buy Teslas. Electric car buyers WILL put up with this because they understand growing pains and they understand a better type of vehicle when they see one.

It's the WOKE attitude of SOME Tesla owners that I find really off putting. Yes, ICE cars aren't the future, but you do realize that not everyone can afford an electric car, I hope. The ICE helped drive the Industrial Revolution and helped create this great country of ours, and all the benefits we take for granted thanks to the economy the ICE helped FUEL.

Yes, we are learning that we must move on from oil burning, and it will happen, but change happens slowly.

Get over the high and mighty attitude.

My car has been in the local SC since Aug 5th, took delivery on July 28th. Trying to speak to a human and get any real info has tried my patience and has just about worn out my enthusiasm for Tesla. I had two paint/body issues I wanted fixed found during my delivery inspection (actually the bumper was damaged in-transit and a small paint chip in the right front fender that was clear coated over) and this has been a journey of frustration. I received a Customer Survey two weeks after I took delivery and I said this. "Tesla needs to grow up and stop acting like a high tech start-up in some parents garage" regarding customer service and communications.

My friend that took delivery of his MY that had no less than 5 warning error messages on the screen and finally had to drive to the SC and grab a tech as they walked by since they weren't answering phone calls, responding to e-mail, or text messages.

What's sad is my Y was one of the better one's delivered and I gambled that trying to make it PERFECT wouldn't be so hard. Boy was I wrong. But I have high hopes that when I get it back it'll be PERFECT and I'll look back on this as a bump in the Tesla road. At least that's my hope. Tesla don't let me down.

I wasn't comfortable that my delivery issues were recorded properly for my upcoming service appointment, and no one was answering the phone at the SC. So, I drove and spoke with them. Feeling a little better now.

However, little things kinda feel weird. Like, our SC is really a dump. Weeds growing everywhere on the walk in. Temporary folding tables set up where they greet you. Just not what I was expecting, I guess.

They better improve quick. Mainstream car buyers will not put up with this. It's something that can kill a brand faster than anything else.

I can not think of any “mainstream” car manufacturer that is any better. At least in our experience. GM for us is far worse. I would also never keep a GM outside of the warranty period.
Just sayin.

I can not think of any “mainstream” car manufacturer that is any better. At least in our experience. GM for us is far worse. I would also never keep a GM outside of the warranty period.
Just sayin.
I remember when I too was a fanboy.

It’s hard to think of any that are worse at customer service. All of the Asian manufacturers are far better. The Germans are better, and the premium on many of their cars aren’t more than the Tesla premium. American brands aren’t great, but they make up for it sheer infrastructure and cheap availability.

LR-Jag is better in customer service, and they need to be given the poor reliability (as much as I like their cars, I’m done with their finicky personalities).

I remember when I too was a fanboy.

It’s hard to think of any that are worse at customer service. All of the Asian manufacturers are far better. The Germans are better, and the premium on many of their cars aren’t more than the Tesla premium. American brands aren’t great, but they make up for it sheer infrastructure and cheap availability.

LR-Jag is better in customer service, and they need to be given the poor reliability (as much as I like their cars, I’m done with their finicky personalities).

Depends on ones experience I suppose. Our Nissan Leaf was very reliable but the recall and tech bulletin were handled poorly by the dealership. Mercedes was worse and never not ever was there a courtesy car available. GM. Don’t even get me started.

We haven’t had our Tesla long enough to give a good review. Ask us in a year or two. Meanwhile, the minor issue we did have was fixed in our driveway by a ranger. I can’t recall any other manufacturer with this service. To each his own I suppose.

I had an issue with my Model Y’s door thinking it was open on Saturday, obviously no service then, so called and got an appointment for Weds Afternoon at a more remote SC (~30min away), the other 2 locations only had appointments almost a month out. They did not tell me in advance how long they would need the car. They gave me $200 in Uber credits with a <24h expiry. When I texted for an update, I got no response. When I called the first time, I was told the car was being worked on, and the door was disassembled, and it would be ready Friday afternoon, but to call back around close-of-business to get a better update. Called back, and was told that they actually hadn’t looked at my car yet, and they couldn’t say when it would be ready, but they would give me an update this morning. After asking, they extended my Uber credit for a few days.

Not so pleased with this experience. If they need to keep the car until Monday, I sure hope they provide me with a loaner or rental car; Uber credits kinda suck during a pandemic, and when you want to go hiking. I’ll only have the car back for 2 days if they return it to me on Monday, my appointment for my delivery issues is on Wednesday!

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
Update: texts to the SC seem to go to /dev/null, however after calling them once or twice a day for a status update, they got the car back to me on Friday afternoon. The fixed the tail light, claimed they inspected the door and re-sealed the connector, and addressed a rattle in the rear seat. The rattle in the front passenger side remains. The new hatch tail light now rubs against the other tail light in the body... I’ll bring these up for my body shop appointment on Wednesday.

OMG, are you and Uncle Paul related? Lol.
If Tesla vehicles are so problem free, why are service centers so overwhelmed? Doesn't take much browsing around this very forum to see real owner reports of the problems.

Exactly. If cars were so problem free, the service centers would not be overloaded. Seems to me by the way service bays are full that they have as many issues as ICE cars.

Most of us don't have this problem with our SC. My only problem is that they are 115 miles away and what little problems I have are hardly worth making an appointment for getting fixed. I have only needed service once in over 200,000 miles of driving. Let's hear it for gas cars. Anybody?

Tesla is selling more cars than they can build. I would recommend that owners take their cars to local body shops or mechanics for things like tires or window glass, and only use Tesla for actual Tesla problems. They are barely able to service the hundreds of thousands of cars they have on the road. I don't see Ford or GM cutting into their business model.

Personally, I have never had many problems. The car runs like a dream. The one in the picture is my fourth. And since nothing goes wrong with it, who needs the service center anyway?

Unlike GAS BURNERS, there is hardly anything that can go wrong with the car. Electric motors don't have oil or filter problems and batteries don't develop pings or knocks or loose bearings. The car is a better mode of transportation. For those of you who can't see that, there's always Honda.

About to take the first vacation in a year and need to drive extended miles and my GF 3 has AP failure. Reboot does not work and no one can help on the phone as they are not qualified to login like the old days. Service appt is two weeks put. I am confident a qualified person could remote login and fix the issue.