Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Data Leak Shows Complaints of Unintended Braking and Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this really true??? I use FSDb all the time and if my car is braking (phantom or no) at any time, for any reason, and I disagree with its braking, I simply hit acceleration pedal and it's fine. It stops slowing down while continuing to drive the car for me.
Same for me. And I also don’t launch an investigation every time it reduces the speed by 1-3 mph. Similar to how my wife doesn’t investigate ever time I decelerate.

I have had it slam on the brakes and wouldn't accelerate again until it "released" them. This has been on AP or TACC. I haven't found FSD to be worth it for me. YMMV on FSDb as I can't speak to that. This was in my Y. My S hasn't had any phantom braking issues. It had radar enabled until just recently. Then with the wheel update it was forced onto a version where radar was disabled.

I have had it slam on the brakes and wouldn't accelerate again until it "released" them. This has been on AP or TACC. I haven't found FSD to be worth it for me. YMMV on FSDb as I can't speak to that. This was in my Y. My S hasn't had any phantom braking issues. It had radar enabled until just recently. Then with the wheel update it was forced onto a version where radar was disabled.
As described this definitely is an issue that should be investigated because the system is always supposed to allow you to override the braking with the accelerator, even if the braking is emergency braking.

I gave up on it and sold the car. Most of the times it was would drop about 10-15 mph and then release the brakes. Sometimes thought it was a real heart in throat moment. One time I was on the freeway going about 80 mph, it slammed on the brakes very hard. This was at night and it was the first time it ever happened at night.

It had been a long day of driving, over 1000 miles and I was starting to get tired. Let me tell you that really got my attention. I was wide awake for the rest of the trip. It dropped down from 80 to about 40 before releasing the brakes. It felt like a full blown AEB/panic stop but without the alert the car gives of impending doom.

I gave up on it and sold the car. Most of the times it was would drop about 10-15 mph and then release the brakes. Sometimes thought it was a real heart in throat moment. One time I was on the freeway going about 80 mph, it slammed on the brakes very hard. This was at night and it was the first time it ever happened at night.

It had been a long day of driving, over 1000 miles and I was starting to get tired. Let me tell you that really got my attention. I was wide awake for the rest of the trip. It dropped down from 80 to about 40 before releasing the brakes. It felt like a full blown AEB/panic stop but without the alert the car gives of impending doom.
Unless these are “back in the days” stories not sure how valid your input or concerns are as most have been fixed. As you already sold the car sounds like your data is more or less irrelevant.

Reactions: Krugerrand
FSDb is great so get on that stack.

Reactions: Yelobird
Not sure if that is a low or high accident rate overall compared to other driver aids... the problem is the "this isn't a problem at all, your concerns are not valid" attitude from the company.

I no longer have severe PB problems myself, but back when I did it was infuriating that nothing seemed to be happening on coming up with a solution... and days after an NHTSA investigation was started a software update came out that fixed 95% of the problems I was having.

So if the OP is still having severe PB issues I sympathize... if he is still complaining about past issues I sympathize with the outlook that the company has a history of not taking care of problems until forced to do so.

Keith
What software update resolved this? I have a brand new Model Y I picked up Friday. On the 300 mile trip home, I had one PB event that took me from 70 down to about 40 VERY quickly. Fortunately no one was close enough behind me to cause a wreck, but I'm sure the people thought I was an idiot. I was on cruise, but wasn't on auto pilot.

What software update resolved this? I have a brand new Model Y I picked up Friday. On the 300 mile trip home, I had one PB event that took me from 70 down to about 40 VERY quickly. Fortunately no one was close enough behind me to cause a wreck, but I'm sure the people thought I was an idiot. I was on cruise, but wasn't on auto pilot.
The issue for me was with TACC (the adapative cruise control). It works in conjunction with AP. The first time it happens it can be a real eye opening experience, especially when it bleeds of 20 mph or more in a hurry. The full panic stop ones really get your heart going.

With one PB event in a 300 mile trip, you have what is considered "good" software. I was having dozens of PB events every day when I had the "bad" software. I agree that it is still a problem. In any other manufacturer it would be unacceptable... but compared to the past it is such an improvement that it gets a pass now (even though it shouldn't).

Keith

Reactions: pkmody
With one PB event in a 300 mile trip, you have what is considered "good" software. I was having dozens of PB events every day when I had the "bad" software. I agree that it is still a problem. In any other manufacturer it would be unacceptable... but compared to the past it is such an improvement that it gets a pass now (even though it shouldn't).

Keith
Thanks. Hopefully continues to get better.