Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla decided to re-route to a supercharger mid-drive when I didn't want it too!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe what googlepeakoil is saying is what hit 10% and then 5% was not the current SoC, it was the car's estimate of the SoC at the destination, 100 miles away. The car estimated it would have less than 5% left at the destination, which is why it re-routed to go via a supercharger.

Ohh hold on, maybe I misunderstood...lets go back and look...

Ok so this was the first 6 words of your OP...good for you so far...

Umm ok, so Were you at 10% or 5% when you were 100 miles from home? what is the range of your vehicle again?

Glad you were intelligent to know that at the charge level you were at and the distance you were at, that you knew that you didn't need to detour in order to get home!

Hey, I thought it started routing to a supercharger and preconditioning when it "hit 5%"...but you got home with 5%...how far from home were you again at 10% and 5%?.

And to be clear, the ONLY reason I am responding to you like this is because you tried calling me out for not reading, but the data provided in your OP, post #1 does not support a "ridiculous" claim in my opinion.

Either you are in error of your "ridiculous" claim, or your DATA supporting that claim is in error, either way, it was your post that you wrote so if you want to correct your errors that is fine...but you can't just say you were 100 miles away because that doesn't match with what you wrote in your OP.

And yes I was triggered by the word "ridiculous". :)
I did say "% range expected" - key word expected. When on a route, eg. "home" Tesla tells you what % battery it expects you to get home with. I didn't say I was 5% battery and 100 miles from home! But due to adverse weather it dropped from 7% to 3, to 0% in a matter of 10 miles and started routing me to the supercharger. Again, I didn't want it going off-course somewhere. I wanted it to ask me before re-routing and stopping me somewhere I felt was unnecessary... and it was - but I had to do a lot of button pressing while driving.

Hi, maybe it's different for other regions but doesn't the option already exist? You could just turn off trip planner in settings and it won't route you to any superchargers. So this is probably what you want to do.

Alternatively even if you have it turned on and it does route you to a supercharger because you are low.. you can just remove the supercharger from the route. You know this one but I don't think you need to end the route like you said and add it back just to select remove chargers. I will try it on my car later but I think I've removed stops before while driving somehow.

"To remove Supercharger stops and display directions only, touch Remove all charging stops at the bottom of the turn-by-turn direction list. If you remove charging stops, the turn-by-turn direction list may display an alert indicating that charging is needed to reach your destination. To add Supercharger stops back to the turn-by-turn direction list, touch Add charging stops."

Last edited:
I have recently had issues with the navigation on the same 6 trip hour that I make all the time. Everything went fine for a year and a half doing this trip as far as having me stop once for a 25-30 minute charge, or twice for a 25 minute and maybe a 10-15 minute charge. Everything was pretty predictable. All of a sudden recently with no real weather or road changes, navigation wants to me to charge literally 40 minutes into the trip and says battery is conditioning, etc. I refuse to do that thinking that's ridiculous.....and go on to my usual charging location 3 hours into trip (where there were plenty of chargers available). I charge to about 80% and the message comes up: "enough to continue the trip" , totally expected. Then....10 minutes later driving I get notice to stop again for charging (for a 5 minute stop). I think what, crazy?! No. I continue on. I go ahead and give in the second/third time it tells me to stop (and the notice says battery is conditioning for faster charging). I stop and do the 5 minute charge (that gave me 30 miles apparently which I don't really think I needed). While sitting there charging, it says "next time navigate to the charging station for optimal charge/battery" etc. WHAT? is going on with the navigation system?? It's completely whacked out. Any advice? My car is a 2018 Model 3 long range. Maybe I need a new computer!

I refuse to do that thinking that's ridiculous.....and go on to my usual charging location 3 hours into trip (where there were plenty of chargers available).

Maybe the new Navigation algorithm needs some tuning when predicting:
- the arrival of several car around the same time at the same supercharger
- or using historical data?

In my case, I was driving recently from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA and I was planning to use the Tacoma Supercharger,
but I was redirected to the Lacey Supercharger because of a congestion warning, which was in fact a good advice.

Last edited:
I'm months behind on FSD firmware, but I thought I remembered reading something about changes to navigation to account for anticipated congestion (ie, current supercharger location status plus known cars navigating there), not just current congestion? Maybe a factor?