Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla design chief Franz von Holzhausen on Roadster 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I think if you can just extrapolate the performance and the usability of a Plaid Model S, and you can imagine where that could go, then I think your imagination takes you where we're headed as well, in the capability and how much better the Roadster will be and the weight will be absolutely worth it. If you think about it, a Plaid Model S, it basically hits all the metrics that we said the Roadster could do, which seemed impossible for a car at that time. So imagine. Let your imagination run a little bit."

Reactions: Lindenwood
What Roadster 2.0?
It's the Next Gen Roadster that Tesla is collecting deposits for. I don't know why they call it Roadster 2.0, however for this purpose, it's the Next Gen Roadster that was introduced in 2017, but is still under design/development and will one day ship to those who have placed deposits for it.

It's the Next Gen Roadster that Tesla is collecting deposits for. I don't know why they call it Roadster 2.0, however for this purpose, it's the Next Gen Roadster that was introduced in 2017, but is still under design/development and will one day ship to those who have placed deposits for it.

Heh, I didn't ask what IS roadster 2.0 :D I just asked "what roadster 2.0" - as in, it's been promised for years now and still hasn't been delivered. I have my doubts that we'll ever see a product.

Another Elon scam intended to get him a zero interest loan from the Bank of Gullible Suckers.

As cool as the Roadster is, it’s a concept. A prototype. Huge, huge, huge difference between building a prototype and a production vehicle - even a limited production one.

I doubt this ever seriously sees the light of day. I’m wagering this project will be killed and refunds quietly trickled back once Cybertruck finally comes online (two years late) and Tesla has a new, real revenue stream.

Another Elon scam intended to get him a zero interest loan from the Bank of Gullible Suckers.

As cool as the Roadster is, it’s a concept. A prototype. Huge, huge, huge difference between building a prototype and a production vehicle - even a limited production one.

I doubt this ever seriously sees the light of day. I’m wagering this project will be killed and refunds quietly trickled back once Cybertruck finally comes online (two years late) and Tesla has a new, real revenue stream.

If they have the Cybertruck at scale, it would imply they can do the Roadster.

The Roadster is one of the vehicles hit by the 4680 delays. The Roadster would be the test vehicle for the high-nickel 4680.

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
If they have the Cybertruck at scale, it would imply they can do the Roadster.

The Roadster is one of the vehicles hit by the 4680 delays. The Roadster would be the test vehicle for the high-nickel 4680.
How do you figure? The tooling for the CT and Roadster would be completely different. Are they really going to pay millions of dollars to create the tooling, allocate production capacity and factory door space for the Roadster? I’m skeptical. Maybe, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I hope they do get it into production but the Y, 3 and CT are the heavy hitters as far as run numbers go. S and X behind that.

Then again, they are making Semis now, so I suppose it’s possible. Fingers crossed but I’m not super optimistic.

How do you figure? The tooling for the CT and Roadster would be completely different. Are they really going to pay millions of dollars to create the tooling, allocate production capacity and factory door space for the Roadster? I’m skeptical. Maybe, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I hope they do get it into production but the Y, 3 and CT are the heavy hitters as far as run numbers go. S and X behind that.

Then again, they are making Semis now, so I suppose it’s possible. Fingers crossed but I’m not super optimistic.

I don't think it has anything to do with design or manufacturing. I think it has everything to do with demand and being cost effective.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Gah. Why can't they just put a new body on the Plaid, cut some weight here and there, upgrade the battery to 21700 cells with about 120 kWhr to handle higher peak discharge rates, and ship it. That would be great. It would be quite a bit faster than the Plaid, get about 400 mile range, and look great. Who cares about the rest of the garbage they've talked about? Just give us a fast convertible EV. That's it. 600 mile range is ridiculous and won't happen. There's no room for that many cells. And you don't need it. Gas thrusters are a bunch of hot air (literally) and a waste of time. Give me big tires, big brakes, four motors and let's go.

The name Roadster 2.0 is a bit confusing since that was already used for a version of the original, circa 2009, Roaster that had various changes primarily to reduce the cost of manufacture. The 2.0 was really supposed to refer to the drivetrain 2.0, but then they had a Roadster 2.5 which was just a cosmetic facelift on the nose. Later, even Roadster 3.0 was used to refer to a battery upgrade.

Regarding the delay on the next gen Roadster, I believe them that it's about priorities. Even at that high price, the low volume means getting more Ys out means more profit, and getting the Semi out the door has a larger environmental impact. I guess the Cyber truck is in the middle there somewhere.

Gas thrusters are a bunch of hot air (literally) and a waste of time.
Cold air actually. And I agree it's a bit silly. You'd need an LN2 source and a pressure vessel in the car which introduces some safety concerns.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
I think there's too many people that are promised the free Roadsters from referrals, that they will perpetuate this forever.

I bet the actual cost of giving away those 80-something free road stars is a drop in the bucket for Tesla at this point. The thousands that they would sell would more than make up for it.

It's fun to think about though. I think Tesla is just resource constrained. Once the CT and Semi have stable production lines, I'm guessing the Roadster will happen. And the "Model 2" some people speculate about.

The 600 mile range was likely not real. Unlikely they fit that many batteries in there.
It's not necessarily about cells, but the energy density of the cells that could fit in that small package... The new cells are larger, and their density is greater than it's size, so it's possible depending on if they achieve the correct chemistry to give them the energy density with the larger cells...

Let's see what happens.

Tesla-4680-battery-cell.jpg