Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla does not offer Yoke Steering retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joey D

Apr 28, 2023
NJ
So I'm *this close* to purchasing an inventory Model S with the current discount going of $7500 (plus $1000 additional for using a referral.) Configured exactly the way I want except it has the round wheel and I would prefer the Yoke.

I'm surprised to learn that while you can buy a Wheel retrofit for yokes...Tesla does not offer it the other way around?

I'm really not keen on 3rd party yoke options...but is there any other option?

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
So I'm *this close* to purchasing an inventory Model S with the current discount going of $7500 (plus $1000 additional for using a referral.) Configured exactly the way I want except it has the round wheel and I would prefer the Yoke.

I'm surprised to learn that while you can buy a Wheel retrofit for yokes...Tesla does not offer it the other way around?

I'm really not keen on 3rd party yoke options...but is there any other option?
I would imagine there are plenty of people who would swap their yoke for your wheel. I'm not sure if there's any programming that would need to be done to accomplish this. Maybe someone with a steering wheel retrofit can comment on whether the tech has to program for the wheel when they swapped it?

Reactions: Joey D
You can do a software reload from the Service menu to get the airbags swapped, but you need the Tesla computer to change a setting to tell the car it has the other wheel. That change will make all the icons switch on both dash screens and the mobile app. Now whether or not making that configuration switch has any other affect, I have not seen any evidence of that.

So in summary, it appears a DIY job, except changing the graphics, which is not that big a deal in my mind to have the wrong graphics.

Now finding someone to trade a wheel for their yoke would be Taylor Swift's inbox on the first day if she joined Match.com. 🤣

Reactions: Joey D
Thanks, guys. I agree the "wrong graphics" is not a big deal if in fact that is the only downside to doing my own swap. I will see if I can confirm with Tesla that doing my own swap would not have any warranty implications. It does seem like should be fairly easy to find someone who wants to swap their yoke for a wheel....even an essentially new yoke with no wear.

This is the reason why when I bought i got the yoke, since I can always pay 700 to switch but the other way isn't possible at this time. Given they charge 250 for yoke, I won't be surprised if it's offered in future

This is the reason why when I bought i got the yoke, since I can always pay 700 to switch but the other way isn't possible at this time. Given they charge 250 for yoke, I won't be surprised if it's offered in future
I hear ya. I just couldn't pass up the 7,500 incentives for taking delivery of an inventory VIN. Everything was configured exactly how I wanted it...just lacking the yoke. I will either live with the wheel, or find a way to swap it out. I'm hoping that once the "new yokes" come out (rumored to be mid july), I'll be able to order a swap. No guarantees of course.

In the same boat, I asked the sales team, they contacted service and said I could get the wheel swapped for a yoke. But they won't cover the cost.
I am leaning toward purchasing a Tailor Made SecretEV yoke at this point. Costly ,but better materials and can customize.

Until Tesla addresses the peeling yoke materials issue I would be hesitant to pay to swap for one of them. (Rumor is in July Tesla will have an "updated" Yoke.) So basically, I'm planning on waiting until mid July-ish...and if Tesla releases a new Yoke I'll weigh my options. If Tesla's new yoke is nowhere to be seen, I'll likely go with the SecretEV.

I will be doing a self-install...but to be clear I do not know if Tesla will install a customer supplied yoke if requested.

The process looks pretty straightforward actually. Only thing that I would not be able to "set", is the internal setting that will show the icon for a yoke instead of a steering wheel on the displays. But the process is basically:

1) Turn car off
2) Pop out Air Bag (requires 2 allen wrenches)
3) Remove electrical connections
4) Remove Wheel (requires 10 mm Hex key, easiest with breaker bar or torque wrench)
5) Install Yoke (reverse steps 4,3,2)
6) Turn car on...then possible need soft reboot.

Here's probably the most useful video I've found:

I’ve thought long and hard about a third party wheel, but one thing keeps me from doing so - crash testing results. Tesla redesigned the airbag in the round wheel and the airbag for the yoke and the steering wheel are different. I’m not comfortable putting my yoke airbag into a third party wheel it wasn’t geometrically designed for.

Hence I’ll be happy to trade someone my yoke/airbag for their matching set.

I’ve thought long and hard about a third party wheel, but one thing keeps me from doing so - crash testing results. Tesla redesigned the airbag in the round wheel and the airbag for the yoke and the steering wheel are different. I’m not comfortable putting my yoke airbag into a third party wheel it wasn’t geometrically designed for.

Hence I’ll be happy to trade someone my yoke/airbag for their matching set.
I was told (by Secret EV rep) the yoke from secretev comes with the yoke specific air bag. I may need to send in my OEM wheel and airbag after the swap for credit...not 100% sure how that works.

I agree that I would not mismatch yoke and wheel air bags.

To be clear, the secretEV yokes are genuine Tesla OEM yokes (to my knowledge) ...but re-wrapped.

Last edited: