Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla donates chargers to Parks Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird. J1772 can handle up to 80 amps, like the one up the road from me. I wonder if that’s built into the charger, or if it’s what the sites are limiting them to.

80A J1772 units retail for about $2,500. No wonder Tesla prefers to use lower current models.

For the few non Teslas that take more than 32A, some people save money by purchasing a $600 72A Tesla Wall connector and having it converted to J1772.

No, there are Tesla HPWC units with a factory made J1772 connector. I’ve seen them in Toronto General Hospital parking, for example.
Just for information, the Richmond, California, Supercharger who just opened September 16, 2019 provides also two J1772 Tesla chargers.
I wonder if this will be a new trend, allowig non-Tesla EV owners to find an additional charging station

2ae7aaec-dd7e-4de7-b67b-0499bd473832-jpeg.455541

Just for information, the Richmond, California, Supercharger who just opened September 16, 2019 provides also two J1772 Tesla chargers.
I wonder if this will be a new trend, allowig non-Tesla EV owners to find an additional charging station
The details of the Osoyoos BC supercharger said Tesla would also install L2 charging for non Tesla EVs, including some at a different site.

The details of the Osoyoos BC supercharger said Tesla would also install L2 charging for non Tesla EVs, including some at a different site.
I with they put 1 or 2 HPWC’s at the bigger supercharger areas so people can meet there or non supercharger cars can arrive early and meet with friends. Even for a cost, I would pay for 70A Level 2 charging. Sigh, I can dream.

FYI, I just learned from a knowledgeable source that there will be 24 Tesla supplied EVSE's installed at Fundy National Park (not specified if HPWC with a Tesla connector or something generic). And a similar number at other National Parks. They will be spread out in groups at different locations throughout the park.

So certainly a lot of charging options if there are 50 parks, not that all national parks/historic sites would have that many.

FYI, I just learned from a knowledgeable source that there will be 24 Tesla supplied EVSE's installed at Fundy National Park (not specified if HPWC with a Tesla connector or something generic). And a similar number at other National Parks. They will be spread out in groups at different locations throughout the park.

So certainly a lot of charging options if there are 50 parks, not that all national parks/historic sites would have that many.
I believe the majority of the donated chargers are the HPWC’s with J1772 plugs on them. Haven’t confirmed that, it’s heard from a friend of a friend.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
This is a great news, but I wonder how you suppose to park two cars?

I think it would have been preferable to use two separate posts?
My guess is the post is "on the line" between the two spaces. The charger on the left seems to be Tesla specific, with the expectation that you will back in (and plug in on the left rear of the car.) The charger on the right seems to have a much longer cable and I'm guessing it's a J1772 and lower output since the cable also appears to be much thinner. It's probably long enough to reach the far right of the space so should easily charge an EV with the plug at the front if parked front first, or anywhere at the rear (including the left rear of a Tesla) if backed in.

Numerous future charging locations that have been released by Parks Canada today:

Legend:
NP) National Park
NHS) National Heritage Site

AB:
Banff NP - Upper Hotsprings
Banff NP - Cave and Basin
Elk Island NP - Astotin Lake
Lake Louise
Banff (city)

BC:
Fort Rodd Hill Visitor Centre (Victoria)
Fort Langley NHS (Langley City)

NB:
Kouchibouguac NP - Pijeboogwek
Kouchibouguac NP - Kellys Beach
Kouchibouguac NP - Visitor Centre

NL:
Terra Nova NP - Visitor Centre
Terra Nova NP - East Entrance
L'Anse-Aux-Meadows
Gros-Morne NP - Discovery Centre
Gros-Morne NP - Visitor Centre

ON:
Point Pelee NP - West Beach
Point Pelee NP - Marsh Boardwalk
Bellevue House NHS (Kingston)
Georgian Bay Islands NP

QC:
Centre de découverte du milieu marin (Tadoussac-Les Escoumins)
Cap-de-Bon Désir (Tadoussac-Les Escoumins)

More to come as I am posting this. Be on the lookout for part 2

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick