Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Don't Replace Windshields?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I got my answer in the form of a text from Tesla after I scheduled service...

"Hi Shawn, this is Tesla Service. We are actively reviewing upcoming appointments and see your vehicle is scheduled for a windshield replacement on 2/28. We would like to make you aware of the two options available:
Option 1: Glass replaced through Tesla. At the completion of the repairs, the total amount will be due in full prior to your vehicle being released back to your possession. If you choose to seek reimbursement through the insurance, you will have to submit the paid invoice on your own time. Cost is $1500 + tax.
Option 2: Glass replaced using insurance/third party glass company. Simply contact your insurance company, who will then recommend an approved glass company. They will work with Tesla to order replacement glass, with your insurance for payment, and with you to coordinate a date and time to have the glass installed. This is the method a large majority of clients use.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed. Thank you!"

I then went through my insurance company and scheduled a windshield replacement through Safelite AutoGlass, who made me click a "waiver" indicating that I understood that my vehicle has behind-the-glass cameras and will require re calibration before being able to safely utilize the cameras. So I texted the following question to Tesla and got this response:

"Will attempt going through insurance and Safelite AutoGlass. Is camera recalibration required?"

"Thank you for your response! No, they are self-calibrating cameras."

"Cool, thanks!"

So, there you have it, just in case someone else comes along with similar questions.

Driving on back roads today a truck launched a rock into my windshield, leaving a generous chip. Ugh.

Curious, did you ask for OEM glass from Safelite? How does new windshield look? Recalibration go uneventfully?

Thx.

Driving on back roads today a truck launched a rock into my windshield, leaving a generous chip. Ugh.

Curious, did you ask for OEM glass from Safelite? How does new windshield look? Recalibration go uneventfully?

Thx.

Safelite called today and told me that the windshields for the model X are too large to transport from Scottsdale, Arizona to Prescott, Arizona. The only Safelite facility in Arizona that installs model X windshields is in Scottsdale. So they gave me a new appointment for next Friday in Scottsdale. They get the windshields directly from Tesla.

Safelite called today and told me that the windshields for the model X are too large to transport from Scottsdale, Arizona to Prescott, Arizona. The only Safelite facility in Arizona that installs model X windshields is in Scottsdale. So they gave me a new appointment for next Friday in Scottsdale. They get the windshields directly from Tesla.
New service center had a grand opening in Richmond TX last weekend. They offered a service tour. Back in the area where glass repair is done was all different cradles of windshield for various models. What I found intriguing was the area where the cameras goes on each windshield was already adhered like a tray inside to the glass. Some appeared to have small fans attached and some had other wires running from it. So, if it's a glass that is coming form Tesla, I think the camera mount will snap into the correct location, especially on a MX. The recalibration option under service should work the same as if the car was new.

My insurance is always trying to get me to have Safelite do the windshield and I'm like no you clowns Safelite CAN'T do it because the camera needs to be recalibrated. So then I go to Tesla and it's like $1600 out the door and they get pissy but they always pay anyway. On the older cars like mine the AP camera needs to look at a specific QR code looking thing from specific distance and such, Safelite ain't about that life 😂

My insurance is always trying to get me to have Safelite do the windshield and I'm like no you clowns Safelite CAN'T do it because the camera needs to be recalibrated. So then I go to Tesla and it's like $1600 out the door and they get pissy but they always pay anyway. On the older cars like mine the AP camera needs to look at a specific QR code looking thing from specific distance and such, Safelite ain't about that life 😂
That's weird since Safelite says they say they do calibration...

Think as you may, but Safelight has sucessfully replaced thousands or Tesla windshields.

no camera calibration was needed at least on the refresh S
I do believe I said old cars. AP1 is superior in driving but it can't calibrate itself like the new cars do.
Think as you may, but Safelight has sucessfully replaced thousands or Tesla windshields.
McDonald's has served billions of burgers that doesn't make them good. Safelite is trash

Reactions: blodg1 and morbidz