Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Door Handles - Child Safety Test !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zas

Model X 90D
Dec 24, 2012
Toronto
For those concerned about the Tesla Door handles with children - you need not worry - see below video of my 4 year old having the door handles retract while her hand is holding them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. This video could have gone horribly wrong! I trust the Tesla team as much as the next guy but I hope you knew what you were doing! Cute kid tho!

LOL, No, it couldn't have, I tested it myself several times...as this was a concern for me when buying the car, the video shows how effortless it is to remove your hands, that even a child could do it...so that's why I posted the video.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried to close her in the trunk yet? :wink:
- 1/2 way in

No, and nor do I have any plans to !!!

Only thing I've seen is if you leave just a little bit of a finger in there, not enough to fully register with whatever is registering pressure, you get a little pinch. Not painful enough to be painful, too painful to be ignored. The medical term is annoying.

With or without the optional seating, putting a child in the trunk should be no problem.

I survived as a child, when I had a space in the trunk of our station wagon (remember those?) on a trip out west one year, where I'd go during the long drives to read or nap or whatever. ;-) Jump seats, now...what a luxury! Actually we had a wagon with jump seats, too, at one point when I was a kid; probably not as safe or comfortable as Tesla's, though--I don't remember padding or seat belts. . . .

1. Great video. Puts the issue to rest. Hope the medical deductible was low if not.
2. Frunk has a child release in it and, of course, when I showed my son he became thrilled with the idea of climbing in. He may be in the running for the Darwin Awards, I am hoping not.
3. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE INTERIOR HANDLES WORK IF THE CAR IS SUBMERGED? This, The only question I get from a friend waiting years to see my Model S. While I may buy him a snorkel for the next ride, it is a good question.

3. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE INTERIOR HANDLES WORK IF THE CAR IS SUBMERGED? This, The only question I get from a friend waiting years to see my Model S. While I may buy him a snorkel for the next ride, it is a good question.

IIRC, pulling on the interior door latch releases the pressure on an internal spring allowing door to open. It's not dependent on power. You can test it by sitting in the car, have your wife lock you in the back seat, wait for two hours till it goes completely to sleep (assuming you don't have v4.2 firmware yet) and then let yourself out.

Be sure to come back and write up your experience once you've tested it.:wink:

Front doors have mechanical override (pull the handle all the way).
Rear doors have a separate override pull-lever below the seat.

Don't think so, if I'm not mistaken the only tension to overcome is that of a spring. You can see her pulling the handle out as it retracts.

Very interesting! I wondered how Tesla would implement retraction safely and the spring makes complete sense. Might have to go try it myself now that I've seen the video and heard about the spring. Hey, if a 4 year old can do it....... ;)