Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, I totally get the frustration....BUt I also feel like if you are splurging 100k-130k+ on a Plaid...you KNOW this was going to be a money losing proposition...it's not going to be a collectible like the outgoing Vipers or other discontinuing sports cars....it is a LUXURY item that you lose money on because you choose to enjoy the insane performance of a Plaid that the only other cars can even touch are hypercars that only the 0.1% can afford (Bugatti Chiron, etc.)

I'm glad I'm been waiting to buy a Plaid...I was slightly tempted by their end of Q2 sales push...but now that a new PLaid is less than 90k new AND all colors included...I am more tempted but I am going to continue to wait to see what Tesla rolls out at the end of this month (end of Q3) and then I'll see what its like December to see if they can even slash price of a Plaid even more.

You do have to commend and be impressed by how much Tesla is able to make in terms of profit margin on the Plaid...going from 130k to 89k and STILL making a profit on each car.....

If anything, I'll bet Tesla overcorrected and will bump prices back up $5K to $10K. They did this with the X/S plaid briefly dropping to $104K before raising them back up to $109K about 3 weeks later. This could simply have happened because a rush of order filled their production pipeline for months to come and they raised them back up to slow down order that they couldn't fill fast enough anyways. Then they burned through all the customers who would buy at $109K, made all those cars, and now the production line is under capacity again. They then lowered the price again to try and bring in those buyers who'd only buy at an even lower price.

Seriously? Almost new 2023s are $80K with MSRP of $106K.

22s are in the sub-$70K range. The joke on Leasehckrs is the second you drive off the lot... your entire 3-yr lease payment is gone on the GT lol. The same applies to EQS which had $30-40K discounts. Those who bought at full price in 2022 must be PISSED.

View attachment 970142
View attachment 970141

$106K MSRP - sub 2K miles - $81K Used 2023 Audi e-tron GT For Sale at Audi Lakeland | VIN: WAUFJBFW0P7001548

MSRP doesn't have anything to do with what those cars actually sold for new. I got my 2019 Prius for $10K under MSRP.

This was a very surprising good news for me but I totally relate and understand how people who bought recently feel. I got loan offer going down and I was letting SR about the price discrepancy then I checked the webpage and saw it. I could have pulled the trigger 3 weeks ago and be done already. This discount plus FSD transfer make this a good deal and time for me to refresh. Plus I was getting a red car. For the same LR price I can get Plaid now, that's insane since plaid was 150K almost when it came out but I will try to be responsible and restrain myself. ( I was getting a red car s
Tesla introducing SR S then removing it and doing this discount in a very short amount of time is insane. Will anyone get those short range cars I wonder. Is this because of the 3 leak? Last quarter rush?

Dealers are probably shatting their pants right now...I'm looking at used Plaids on autotrader and their prices are dropping like a rock...bunch of them in the 70s now....

Yea, those that are actually trying to currently sell are the ones that are taking a real hit. The ones that aren't, it's just psychological unless you were about to sell soon and buy something OTHER than a Tesla, otherwise you're actually ahead since percentage wise, the dollar drop on your used Tesla is less than the dollar drop on a brand new one. So if you were in the market for a new Tesla and haven't yet sold yours, you're STILL better off now than before yesterday. The only way to have been even better off was to already have sold your old Tesla and then place the order today after the price drop.

It's a bit self destructive. The MXP has dropped $49K since February, so if you bought one in before the first price drop it's already down more than 50% in the first 6 months. Those buyers will never touch the brand again. I'm really thankful I dodged that bullet.
The model x plaid at 89k says buy to me, especially in all black 😍

Tesla isn't really any better. They jacked up prices last year which is similar to adding dealer markups. The difference is Tesla owns its dealerships while franchised dealers are largely independently owned.

Tesla has now essentially removed those markups (and more). The starting price of an MS Plaid at the beginning of the year was $137,440 and is now only $91,630. A drop of over $45,000 or 33% in just nine months! 😲

The MXP is down $49K or $52K if you factor in the now free Ultra Red.

Show me a car that drops 40% after being driven off of the lot.
Found one!

IMG_0993.jpeg

LOL, no, other established brands do not change the MSRP of vehicles quite like Tesla does. They use other methods that are much less shocking to used car markets.

The reason is other brands CAN'T change MSRP like Tesla does because the other manufacturers don't sell cars to end users. The dealers do. The dealers buy the cars from the manfuacturer for invoice. Manufacturers may offer some additional kickback to sell cars to that dealers will buy more because it's the end of the model year but this world and the way the customer sees it is much slower and much less drastic.

On the other end of the scale, a dealer charges an outrageous markup on a popular model. It's not even advertised. Buyers often only find out when the go into the dealer. Dealers will even use shady tactics to imply they're selling at MSRP only for the customer to find out they didn't read the small print on the bottom of the add. They only see the markup when they go into the dealer in person. Now that model has basically had it's price raised by most dealers around the country due to demand. When demand goes down, they start lowering the markup or removing it but not all dealers do it at once so it's less drastic and less transparent.

The reality is, the customer is likely to get far more screwed by that model than by what Tesla is doing.

That is a bit of an exaggerated claim as far as driving off the lot, loses that much.

But after the first year, that is a thing. And since few people sell their car within the first year, this does apply.

It used to be a thing after a year but in the last 15 or so years it hasn't. This is why in the last 15 years, I've ended up buying new even though I started out looking for used. Year old uses haven't been lower than new buy enough to make it worth buying a used car. In fact, the last new car I bought, a 2019 prius, I got cheaper brand new than ANY of the used ones listed.

You should take a poll to see if those buyers would never touch the brand again.

Tesla will do the same with the Cybertruck in the long run as well. Long time members should be used to this by now.

FYI - Model X price in 2019 started at 72k. Todays price: 79k

Prices went way up during pandemic. Elon even stated prices were “embarrassingly high”.

Interesting idea. Even more interesting would be to see how the same people respond in say a year after the sting has worn off.

Reactions: SO16
Or maybe the reason why some are wealthy enough is because they are concerned and carefully evaluate how and where they spend their money.
So you “carefully evaluated” your money and said “yeah let’s spend $100k+ on a car?” You’re joking, right? A Chevy Bolt does the same thing and costs 1/3 the price. Spending anymore $$$ than what it takes to get you from point A to point B is a luxury. Period.

So you “carefully evaluated” your money and said “yeah let’s spend $100k+ on a car?” You’re joking, right? A Chevy Bolt does the same thing and costs 1/3 the price. Thanks for that astute financial advice!

I like the Bolt, but no it's not even in the same universe as far as "doing the same thing".

I like the Bolt, but no it's not even in the same universe as far as "doing the same thing".
A Bolt gets you from point A to point B. What does the S/X do for you other than that? You’re trying to disguise a luxury purchase as “good financial sense” and “that’s what wealthy people do.” That’s quite the hot take😂

The reason is other brands CAN'T change MSRP like Tesla does because the other manufacturers don't sell cars to end users. The dealers do. The dealers buy the cars from the manfuacturer for invoice. Manufacturers may offer some additional kickback to sell cars to that dealers will buy more because it's the end of the model year but this world and the way the customer sees it is much slower and much less drastic.

On the other end of the scale, a dealer charges an outrageous markup on a popular model. It's not even advertised. Buyers often only find out when the go into the dealer. Dealers will even use shady tactics to imply they're selling at MSRP only for the customer to find out they didn't read the small print on the bottom of the add. They only see the markup when they go into the dealer in person. Now that model has basically had it's price raised by most dealers around the country due to demand. When demand goes down, they start lowering the markup or removing it but not all dealers do it at once so it's less drastic and less transparent.

The reality is, the customer is likely to get far more screwed by that model than by what Tesla is doing.
Again, I argue that the customer knows the manufacturer's suggested price on the Monroney sticker on the window. Any mark-ups beyond that they know are Dealer add-ins, markups, etc. While it can be frustrating, you can at least argue that they know they are getting screwed a lot easier. Tesla's way of doing it is much simpler but leaves a lot to question the value of their car.

A Bolt gets you from point A to point B. What does the S/X do for you other than that? You’re trying to disguise a luxury purchase as “good financial sense” and “that’s what wealthy people do.” That’s quite the hot take😂

It doesn't get me to other states that I frequently travel to. It's not as fast. It's not as big. It's not as fun. You can still make luxury purchases and be smart about it or you can be stupid about it. At the same time, unless you're already in a position to not have a $100K purchase not be a material factor in your finances, you should probably opt for a Bolt instead. It's a perfectly fine car.

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly