Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new X is very tempting to me, but it seems unlikely they will raise the price (without notice), so I'll wait for more info on the truck.
(price cuts do not get notice, price hikes seem to).
But I would like a X with more range than mine, But it's hard to justify the cost, when I can just plug in for a few minutes if needed.... Ugh.
For reference: a NEW X is $72.5k after rebate. Which is $10k LESS than I Paid for my X back in 2019. That's crazy.
But giving up a turn signal stalk is also crazy... so.. there's that.

I called this a while back (S/X price drop) as the S/X just aren't selling since the Y is so damn good at such a lower price.
My wife's Y is so good, you could buy 2 and still have money left over vs. a X. (Yesterday prices), and the X was just NOT twice the car.

Given that Tesla abandoned the right hand drive models, and today's price cuts, I think it's a fairly safe bet that... a new S/X is coming soon.

Predicting a new S/X showing at the CyberTruck reveal. Calling it now!
Na. Tesla decided the market is too small to waste the time on a RHD. That’s all. There’s not going to be a new S/X two years after the new S/X was released. 😂😂

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
My point is you’re making a sweeping and nonsensical generalization about “EVs” based on broad impacts that have affected the entire auto industry over the past 2 years.

Anyone who bought a Model Y at the high water price of - what was it, like $67,000? - was always in for a world of hurt. Just like any of the thousands of people who paid insane dealer markups on any manner of ICE car during the same period. We were in a bubble. It was super obvious. If you bought at the top, trouble was always coming for you. It wasn’t and isn’t a “Tesla” thing, and it’s most certainly not an “EV” thing. It’s a “US car market” thing.

Tesla’s transparent pricing model just makes it easier to measure, but the same thing was happening everywhere. To think otherwise is incredibly naive.

I also question the overall value you place on depreciation. The average American keeps a new car for 8.4 years. Yeah, no kidding you’re gonna get hosed if you buy a new car at the height of a bubble and want to sell it 3 years later. But most people don’t do that.
Exactly it just gets press because it is Tesla. Ford did same thing to the lightning, raised prices dramatically then has been cutting them back.

Really nothing to see here, the price could still fall further

Reactions: ginmqi
I’m just done with Tesla with everything I experience. Will never recommend their cars again.

Traded in my 2022 Model S LR yesterday for a 2023 Mercedes EQE AMG lease yesterday. Sold for $63,000 and originally paid around $90k for it.
I used to drives 911’s but am done with them and the Porsche discussion boards that I frequented. What would be the point of posting there?

So you are done with Teslas but are still posting here. I suspect Mercedes has lots of message boards to discuss your car.😁

As for the “loss” you suffered on your 2022 Tesla, have you ever done well trading a one year old car?

I used to drives 911’s but am done with them and the Porsche discussion boards that I frequented. So you are done with Teslas but are still posting here. I suspect Mercedes has lots of message boards to discuss your car.😁

As for the “loss” you suffered on your 2022 Tesla, have you ever done well trading a one year old car?
Still have the TMC app on my phone and getting notifications. Wanted to share my sale price more than anything. Working on deleting Tesla related apps later today so I’ll be gone soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Only dummies paid above markup on Lightnings, maybe 10%? The rest were too smart to pay above MSRP and that's why dealers are sitting on them. Ford doesn't have a cult, big difference.
Extra dealer markup has been the norm for most non-Tesla car brands on their most popular and scarce current models until scarcity and/or popularity wanes. Why is the Lightning situation different?

Extra dealer markup has been the norm for most non-Tesla car brands on their most popular and scarce current models until scarcity and/or popularity wanes. Why is the Lightning situation different?

Because they make $10k off every Lightning sold without any effort and the Lightning isn't anywhere near scarce or the best F-150 available?

I’m the same boat as you (see my earlier post in this thread). Unfortunately, I think we are SOL. I did text the dealer and they’ve replied that they understand how I feel but there is nothing they can do. I responded saying I’m not very happy right now, but they haven’t gotten back to me. I doubt they will do anything.

If it’s any consolation, at least the car is awesome.
Did tesla assign you that specific delivery date? One day prior to price shift?
I’d speak to a lawyer as that would be suspect.

Did tesla assign you that specific delivery date? One day prior to price shift?
I’d speak to a lawyer as that would be suspect.

No. I made the order, and when it was time to make the date, I asked for Sat 9/2. (They actually gave me Tuesday at first- I think that was my mistake when selecting the date). Then, they kept texting me daily that the car was on site and that I could reschedule for an earlier date. So, on Wed morning, I checked the app and was able to re-arrange my calendar so that I could pick up that afternoon.

Tempted to trade in my MS. Pieces are coming together:
  • Price about same as what I paid years ago
  • Transfer of FSD (which I remember buying for approx. $2500 for but would never pay for now but wouldn’t mind having mainly out of FOMO
Cons are the car has been wonderful and problem free. Trading in free supercharging so ideally Elon rolls out some credit for supercharging at quarter end. Also Model Y is so good that you can have it along with another $25-30k in pocket. Maybe talking myself into trading for Model Y 😀

Reactions: nativewolf
No. I made the order, and when it was time to make the date, I asked for Sat 9/2. (They actually gave me Tuesday at first- I think that was my mistake when selecting the date). Then, they kept texting me daily that the car was on site and that I could reschedule for an earlier date. So, on Wed morning, I checked the app and was able to re-arrange my calendar so that I could pick up that afternoon.
So they essentially kept pushing the earlier date on you when you had a sept 2nd date confirmed?

It’s normal practice for them to want to deliver prior to an end of month. But the fact that they did this knowing the price was changing a day later…again I’d speak to a lawyer. Have you called or emailed tesla Corp with this?

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
So they essentially kept pushing the earlier date on you when you had a sept 2nd date confirmed?

It’s normal practice for them to want to deliver prior to an end of month. But the fact that they did this knowing the price was changing a day later…again I’d speak to a lawyer. Have you called or emailed tesla Corp with this?
I highly doubt anyone at the local service center knew the price was going to be lowered the next day. You’d be surprised how little they know.