Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops solid white as a color choice - speculation as to why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought white both to save money and for its heat reflection here in the South. Now that I have it, I am very impressed with the color. The car glows.

That said, it is hard to keep clean, and it seems to scratch and chip easily.

I saw this in the parking lot and made me think about this discussion. The car in the middle is pearl white, while the ones in each side of it are just white (solid white tesla, whatever "whitest white" or "glacier white" kia calls their version of simply white). While the car in the middle actually was the cleanest as far as dirt, from a few feet away it just looked yellowish.
pear-white-vs-solid-white.png

I am not sure. If that was the case the black seems like it would be the one they would kill since the obsidian black is not as noticeably different from the standard black as the pearl white is from regular white in my opinion.

I'm guessing the white outsells the black by a healthy amount though. Dropping the black wouldn't affect the numbers nearly as much.

That could be. It seems like I sure see a lot more black model X's than the non-pearl white ones but can't say I have paid much attention to the Model S in that regard.

I saw ~25 Tesla's when i was in AZ for a week earlier this year and they were all white except for 1. Both of the X's I saw were white as well. Makes sense being so hot there. I've only seen 4 Tesla's where I live and they've been titanium, silver, green and black, all MS's.

Here's my opinion. Tesla wants/needs to increase profitability like any company. I think a person that wants a white car really doesn't want a black car (hot and notoriously difficult to maintain) so that forces them to choose a paint color with a premium price, thus, increased profit without an actual increase in base price. Same goes for the introduction of the all glass roof for $1500 and an increase in pano roof by +$500. That price change for the Pano roof was totally unsubstantiated with the addition of the all glass roof. Besides the pending $2K bump on the 60, Tesla just added between $1000 and $2000 to the profitability of each car since the majority of people will opt for a pano roof and a color other than black. No other reason white was dropped besides profit strategy in my opinion.