Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Eco-System Saving me money

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Just ran some numbers on our energy use since April 2021

- April 2021 : Solar & Tesla Powerwalls installed
- May 2021 : Smart Meters installed
- Sept 2021 : Tesla M3P Car arrived

Anyways...

The Solar Array has generated 4.49 MWh = £737 saving

The Smart Meters, Octopus Go Tariff and Battery Storage = £434 saving (downloading at night 00:30 - 04:30)

Plus 2000 miles in the car at £0.00 (Tesla Referral) saving = £342 (from what I would've spent on Petrol)

Plus 4000 miles in the car at 290wh/m at 5p per 1kWh saving = £600 (from what I would've spent on Petrol)

So according to my man-maths... our £100,000 Tesla Eco-System has saved us £ 1,513 in 9 months (so about £2000 per year)

Only 50 Years to Go... woohoo

Last edited:
I think savings calculations are extremely difficult and you have to also make sure that you are not comparing apples and pears.

Your Tesla eco system investment was £100K of which (say) £50K was on the M3? If you had not done the investment in solar would you have bought a new car in any case? If yes, the comparison should really take out the cost of this alternative car and the payback would be higher.

The cost of investment in the solar and power wall also seems very high. Were there cheaper alternatives in which case you might have been able to get a better payback?

However - one consolation factor - electricity costs are only likely to increase in future years so whatever baseline you use to compare, your savings will increase!!

I think savings calculations are extremely difficult and you have to also make sure that you are not comparing apples and pears.

Your Tesla eco system investment was £100K of which (say) £50K was on the M3? If you had not done the investment in solar would you have bought a new car in any case? If yes, the comparison should really take out the cost of this alternative car and the payback would be higher.

The cost of investment in the solar and power wall also seems very high. Were there cheaper alternatives in which case you might have been able to get a better payback?

However - one consolation factor - electricity costs are only likely to increase in future years so whatever baseline you use to compare, your savings will increase!!

Indeed... the £100,000 figure is very much rounded up, to include full electric home conversion and getting an EPC Rating of 'A'

So it'll be very interesting in 2022 to get a full year of complete data... 🤔😁

Overall it just makes me happy.
I think this would be the thing that would make me really look into getting solar + battery storage, more so than the cost savings overall because of the time it would take to break even. If we do decide to move house in a few years however, I'll be looking for somewhere that already has solar installed (and will remain as part of the sale)

Reactions: PITA
As someone who’s also spent a king’s ransom on eco kit, I applaud the OP. My car fuel and electric bills are now pocket money and the capital was earning next to nothing. Overall it just makes me happy.

Yes indeed, makes me extra happy when the sun shines...

Interestingly, I always hate Jan/Feb time (don't like the cold weather and 'normally go abroad on holiday)... but watching the blue skies and sunshine filling our house with free energy is a real 'pick me up'... even if it is 1 degree outside 😍

January 2022 has been good so far...

I think this would be the thing that would make me really look into getting solar + battery storage, more so than the cost savings overall because of the time it would take to break even. If we do decide to move house in a few years however, I'll be looking for somewhere that already has solar installed (and will remain as part of the sale)

Yep, I think EPC Ratings will factor in more and more now...

I see some housing stock in terrible condition... dread to think what it's like in a cold damp house, no matter how fancy the price tag or location.

Reactions: browellm
Just ran some numbers on our energy use since April 2021

- April 2021 : Solar & Tesla Powerwalls installed
- May 2021 : Smart Meters installed
- Sept 2021 : Tesla M3P Car arrived

Anyways...

The Solar Array has generated 4.49 MWh = £737 saving

The Smart Meters, Octopus Go Tariff and Battery Storage = £434 saving (downloading at night 00:30 - 04:30)

Plus 2000 miles in the car at £0.00 (Tesla Referral) saving = £342 (from what I would've spent on Petrol)

Plus 4000 miles in the car at 290wh/m at 5p per 1kWh saving = £600 (from what I would've spent on Petrol)

So according to my man-maths... our £100,000 Tesla Eco-System has saved us £ 1,513 in 9 months (so about £2000 per year)

Only 50 Years to Go... woohoo
You are including the capital cost of the car purchase into that. Presumably, if you opted to buy an ICE car then you would have spent an equivalent amount, which you haven't factored in. This is massively skewing your figures,

Secondly, what was the point of buying the car? If it was to purely save money, then it seems like an expensive way to do so. Continuing with your previous car would have meant zero capital outlay. Or use Bangernomics and buy a cheap old diesel and run it on used chip fat from your local chippy. Low capital cost, low running cost and you will smell like fish'n'chips anytime you drive somewhere.

In summary, you aren't strictly comparing like for like.

Reactions: init6
You are including the capital cost of the car purchase into that. Presumably, if you opted to buy an ICE car then you would have spent an equivalent amount, which you haven't factored in. This is massively skewing your figures,

Secondly, what was the point of buying the car? If it was to purely save money, then it seems like an expensive way to do so. Continuing with your previous car would have meant zero capital outlay. Or use Bangernomics and buy a cheap old diesel and run it on used chip fat from your local chippy. Low capital cost, low running cost and you will smell like fish'n'chips anytime you drive somewhere.

In summary, you aren't strictly comparing like for like.

Yep... I bought the car because it seemed like the logical next step... dragging our household into the 21st Century.

Then... my YouTube obsessed eyeballs couldn't escape from the Tesla Model 3 Performance video's

So I just decided to treat myself... with my Wifes 100% blessing.

Theres no way I would have spent any more than £20k on a car normally (happy to spend £25-30k on a motorcycle), but not a car...

Tesla changed my view...

Yes indeed, makes me extra happy when the sun shines...

Interestingly, I always hate Jan/Feb time (don't like the cold weather and 'normally go abroad on holiday)... but watching the blue skies and sunshine filling our house with free energy is a real 'pick me up'... even if it is 1 degree outside 😍

January 2022 has been good so far...
Winter has always been poor for me, maybe 1 - 6 kWh daily, because of the trees to the the south of my property. However, come February, we’re pollarding half of them that will help double the input.

Attachments

• 6AF2948A-525D-42BB-8B3D-6846B25341FC.jpeg
    6AF2948A-525D-42BB-8B3D-6846B25341FC.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 57
Winter has always been poor for me, maybe 1 - 6 kWh daily, because of the trees to the the south of my property. However, come February, we’re pollarding half of them that will help double the input.

As I say to myself about winter generation, if I could double f-all output it would still be f-all. I also like most of our trees and so does the wildlife, except bar one that I wouldn't mind seeing the back off. Ironically, the worse culprit is a few doors up the road so outside our control. It also doesn't add anything to the local ecology as its pretty low grade so I wouldn't be unhappy to see that one replaced with something better suited to the environment along with next doors house...

Last edited:
I think the move to solar and battery storage although expensive to initiate is looking at the bigger picture and long term future.
Many years ago I bought a house that was wooden windows and single glassed - so plastic double glazing was put in, new patio doors were also fitted as the old one were aluminium double glassed - but the runners were worn out, Loft wasn't insulated but the wall cavity was - so I did the loft.
I took out ever incandescent bulb in the house, garage and shed and replaced them with LED - which were very expensive at the time.
I'm no eco warrior and only did it all to save on bills - I saw it as investing to save.

My boiler was about 30 years old but working perfectly fine but i had a new Worcester Bosch condensing boiler fitted and Hive controls plus thermostatic radiator valves.
At this time we were in the last couple of months before solar FIT was to be abolished so I ordered 12x 365W LG Neon R solar panels that came with 25yr warranty on construction and a guaranteed output capacity of 92% after 25yrs service, and all panels have their own optimiser fitted to ensure maximum output even if one panel gets shaded or perhaps develops a fault (without optimisers if one panel is shaded or has a fault all panels are restricted to the lower output)- this was November 2018, I also had 3x 4.5Kw Solax triple power batteries.

The savings since this date have been - and this includes the FIT tariff payments i receive quarterly is £2584, The system didn't save me anything for the first three months as the electrician had connected things up wrong and it took 2 months for me to know for sure something wasn't right - once the installing company were informed though they got straight onto it and rectified it within a couple of days. I created a spreadsheet and each month i input the meter readings and the generation meter so I'm on top of the system at all times.

The bonus now is I have a Tesla, I use the 2Kw granny charger to charge it up, the reason for this is, when the sun comes out the house is being supplied for free, any excess - and there is always (nearly always) an excess even on dull days that will go into the battery storage - which when fully charged will run the house for 24 hours for free. In the summer time the batteries are fully charged by 1100hrs and I'm usually exporting energy back to the grid - and usually about 3Kws - so at this point i plug in the Tesla granny charger and therefore just over 2Kw is consumed pumping free electricity into the car and i have the charge limit set to 90% - so since April 2021 I have used a supercharger twice or paid for energy.
I haven't calculated the savings this has had in comparison to what the petrol costs would have been with my RS.
I don't have a 7Kw home charger because by drawing that amount it would exceed the solar excess and therefore I would be paying for 5Kw every hour it was in use, I am retired so to get the car fully charged over a couple of days is easy - and remains free

With energy costs going bonkers at the moment I'm so pleased i invested when i did.

I had an EPC done as required when i applied for Solar - so the Solar and batteries were not installed at the point the house was scored, which was a high B, the chap that did it said another EPC after having both installed would take me into a low A rating and the only other thing i could do would be to dig up floors (concrete) and insulate them and re-concrete, which obviously imp not going to do as its not cost effective.

The solar and batteries were £16K and i calculate about 9 years to have paid me back - or less if energy continues to rise around or above the norm of 8% per year.

• Informative
Reactions: PITA and rotor2k
I think the move to solar and battery storage although expensive to initiate is looking at the bigger picture and long term future.
Many years ago I bought a house that was wooden windows and single glassed - so plastic double glazing was put in, new patio doors were also fitted as the old one were aluminium double glassed - but the runners were worn out, Loft wasn't insulated but the wall cavity was - so I did the loft.
I took out ever incandescent bulb in the house, garage and shed and replaced them with LED - which were very expensive at the time.
I'm no eco warrior and only did it all to save on bills - I saw it as investing to save.

My boiler was about 30 years old but working perfectly fine but i had a new Worcester Bosch condensing boiler fitted and Hive controls plus thermostatic radiator valves.
At this time we were in the last couple of months before solar FIT was to be abolished so I ordered 12x 365W LG Neon R solar panels that came with 25yr warranty on construction and a guaranteed output capacity of 92% after 25yrs service, and all panels have their own optimiser fitted to ensure maximum output even if one panel gets shaded or perhaps develops a fault (without optimisers if one panel is shaded or has a fault all panels are restricted to the lower output)- this was November 2018, I also had 3x 4.5Kw Solax triple power batteries.

The savings since this date have been - and this includes the FIT tariff payments i receive quarterly is £2584, The system didn't save me anything for the first three months as the electrician had connected things up wrong and it took 2 months for me to know for sure something wasn't right - once the installing company were informed though they got straight onto it and rectified it within a couple of days. I created a spreadsheet and each month i input the meter readings and the generation meter so I'm on top of the system at all times.

The bonus now is I have a Tesla, I use the 2Kw granny charger to charge it up, the reason for this is, when the sun comes out the house is being supplied for free, any excess - and there is always (nearly always) an excess even on dull days that will go into the battery storage - which when fully charged will run the house for 24 hours for free. In the summer time the batteries are fully charged by 1100hrs and I'm usually exporting energy back to the grid - and usually about 3Kws - so at this point i plug in the Tesla granny charger and therefore just over 2Kw is consumed pumping free electricity into the car and i have the charge limit set to 90% - so since April 2021 I have used a supercharger twice or paid for energy.
I haven't calculated the savings this has had in comparison to what the petrol costs would have been with my RS.
I don't have a 7Kw home charger because by drawing that amount it would exceed the solar excess and therefore I would be paying for 5Kw every hour it was in use, I am retired so to get the car fully charged over a couple of days is easy - and remains free

With energy costs going bonkers at the moment I'm so pleased i invested when i did.

I had an EPC done as required when i applied for Solar - so the Solar and batteries were not installed at the point the house was scored, which was a high B, the chap that did it said another EPC after having both installed would take me into a low A rating and the only other thing i could do would be to dig up floors (concrete) and insulate them and re-concrete, which obviously imp not going to do as its not cost effective.

The solar and batteries were £16K and i calculate about 9 years to have paid me back - or less if energy continues to rise around or above the norm of 8% per year.

Sounds good 🙂👍