Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3353.JPG
Also have the FWD issue of the missing buttons. It appears the option of "Full Open At this Location" is now gone. That can't be intentional? It was working perfectly in my garage. Now I'll be stuck opening them on low until they fix this.

Not going to happen as a needed camera view isn't available. (The one that would show directly in front of the car.)
My old BMW had this feature with no front camera. The software did a nice job of extrapolating data and made it look like there was a front cam. You would think they could do this now with all the cameras they have. I admit after years of having it in BMW I rarely used it preferring the standard backup camera view plus reverse sensors. I only turned it on to show other people what it looked like.

Right..... I've seen 'three', and 'three additional'. What additional? The two front and the rear? That makes no sense.

Is this actually documented anyway or as was said is it from the recalibration needed? The system could have needed recal in any case for the new features/limits, we don't know. ;)

Based on the email some folks got when AP2 was announced (which contained slightly different text from the blog post on the subject,) the long term plan for eAP was to use four cameras - the standard front that more or less matches the AP1 camera, the long range/narrow field front, and the left/rear and right/rear cameras (presumably for longer ranged and more confident blind spot monitoring.)

FSDC would then add the front wide angle, the rear wide angle, and the left/front and right/front cameras, which allow low speed maneuvering and checking of other sides of an intersection.

My old BMW had this feature with no front camera. The software did a nice job of extrapolating data and made it look like there was a front cam. You would think they could do this now with all the cameras they have. I admit after years of having it in BMW I rarely used it preferring the standard backup camera view plus reverse sensors. I only turned it on to show other people what it looked like.

As MP3Mike was pointing out, the AP2 package front looking cameras are located in the middle of the windshield. That means the hood will block anything very close in front.

I'm not sure how close in the for side cameras can see, either - all the them are intended for relatively distant things.

Tesla could probably give you a realistic scaling top down vote with some effort - but there'd be a blank zone in front of the car and might have blank zones to the sides, especially in the front - unless they get really fancy and try to remember what was there.

With the processing power these cars have, that might actually work - do the 3d transform and identify objects in the frame that are recognizable, then record the images and find them again as the car moves or maybe use GPS/inertial reckoning if the image scaling is accurate enough.

It's a whole lot of processor time to close the dead zone and depends on the environment being static, but it could be doable.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Based on the email some folks got when AP2 was announced (which contained slightly different text from the blog post on the subject,) the long term plan for eAP was to use four cameras - the standard front that more or less matches the AP1 camera, the long range/narrow field front, and the left/rear and right/rear cameras (presumably for longer ranged and more confident blind spot monitoring.)

FSDC would then add the front wide angle, the rear wide angle, and the left/front and right/front cameras, which allow low speed maneuvering and checking of other sides of an intersection.
I wish they would use all 8 cameras for both EAP, FSDC and safety features. Imagine the accidents that could be avoided if EAP and the automatic safety features always used all cameras. They could still differentiate EAP from FSDC by other means, such as allowing FSDC to handle stoplights and traffic signs but EAP would still require driver interaction if used at intersections.

Are you sure it didn't have a front camera? My old 328 had two cams on the front pointing left and right so you could see traffic as you pulled out of a street/alleyway. It used those to help build the 360 view.

I wish they would use all 8 cameras for both EAP, FSDC and safety features. Imagine the accidents that could be avoided if EAP and the automatic safety features always used all cameras. They could still differentiate EAP from FSDC by other means, such as allowing FSDC to handle stoplights and traffic signs but EAP would still require driver interaction if used at intersections.

I'm sure that once they have suitable code for safety features that use more cameras, they'll roll it out to everyone.

Off the top of my head, though, the only thing I'm coming up with immediately is an anti-T bone mode - detect and identify cars closing at high rates in the forward/left and forward/right camera and arrange to be where they aren't.

The thing is, the fisheye cameras are only useful for parking and low speeds - once you get beyond a dozen feet, the objects are too small to detect reliably or draw conclusions from.

The left and right front cameras are only helpful when you're dealing with things moving in a different direction - cross traffic and intersections.

Elon has quite the sense of humour. I bet he dictated that 8.1 had to come out before April 1st, because he wanted an April Fools Easter Egg included in it. Probably added some dancing little green men super-imposed on the rear camera feed (or something like that).

Remember, you read it hear first. :D
Vindicated! ;)
rqoOARJ.png

Last edited:
Are you sure it didn't have a front camera? My old 328 had two cams on the front pointing left and right so you could see traffic as you pulled out of a street/alleyway. It used those to help build the 360 view.
Yes, it had the two cameras on the front bumper but they faced outward like you mention. I think the original quote was speaking about some of the cars that have a true front bumper camera (facing forward) to complete the 360' view. Somehow the picture looked pretty good considering there was no front camera. Their new models do have one I believe.

BMW-surround-view-X5.jpg

Yes, it had the two cameras on the front bumper but they faced outward like you mention. I think the original quote was speaking about some of the cars that have a true front bumper camera (facing forward) to complete the 360' view. Somehow the picture looked pretty good considering there was no front camera. Their new models do have one I believe.

View attachment 220523

Pretty sure this system is using a front camera. That image goes to an X5 description from 2015. Here's the X5M bersion in 2014:

BMW X5 M : Surround View

Surround View.
Surround View includes the camera systems Top View, Rear View and Panorama View. Cameras in the exterior mirrors and two wide-angle cameras, one in the front and one in the rear, enable a 360°-panorama surround view as well as a panorama view of the area in front and behind the vehicle.

In the image you provided, you can see clear clues of it, too - the front of the car is subtly boxed off with flat gray corners on the front left/right - places the single front fisheye can't see, but a reconstruction from left/right cameras would see better than straight ahead.