Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set my update at 9. Went out at 9:10 and it said update complete checking status. I had terrible connectivity in the garage so I backed it out. The touch screen was unresponsive on everything I couldn't push close on that status screen. I didn't get the back up camera backing out nor could I open the doors. So I got out and walked away hopefully it will finish fully.

Took about about 30 mins to install .. calibrated immediately while driving and wow oh wow .. 78 mph autosteer worked well and so did lane change ... still playing with summon ..Easter egg is super cool .. can't wait to surprise kids in the morning !!! Ap1 folks have been spoiled for a while :). AP2 getting very near parity now .. I can't wait until we even better features when they start using other cameras and greater use of neural net. Tesla has mastered using the over promise and forward looking statements to make their car platform super exciting... how boring are most cars!

Reactions: beths11
I think I missed your "point" and dont think anyone would call 14 miles "significant amount of calibration" by any means.

Let me try to be MORE clear. 14 miles where necessary to calibrate the one camera working with 8.0 and below. Thus it would take more than that to calibrate the additional 3 cameras that 8.1 apparently uses.

We can debate the definition of "significant" but you just proved it is beyond what it takes just to calibrate the first camera. It definitely takes more than 2 miles.

Reactions: ABC2D
Let me try to be MORE clear. 14 miles where necessary to calibrate the one camera working with 8.0 and below. Thus it would take more than that to calibrate the additional 3 cameras that 8.1 apparently uses.

We can debate the definition of "significant" but you just proved it is beyond what it takes just to calibrate the first camera. It definitely takes more than 2 miles.
Yes, significantly (obvious, right?) more than 2 miles. Hope i got that right.

Reactions: ToddS
So on what screen does the lumbar and headrest show up. I have every available option except Cold Weather, but I don't see it. Nor have I ever seen lumbar. I have it, but on the side of the seat.

Can someone walk me through the steps? TIA

got a few thousand mile trip coming up,
gonna FREAK out the relatives with the new Tesla.
Would like the new version running downstairs now to see if it's available.

Well nothing yet, so turned off range mode, energy saver and turned on always connected.

Last edited:
Received firmware 8.1 update (17.11.3) this evening. Road tested the update.

Auto pilot (AP2) on express way at 75 mph for 15 miles (did not hit 80 due to weather).
MX Stayed in the lane 100% of the time.
lane changes worked correctly (left and right) I DID NOT try lane changes when a car was in the blind spot.

Auto pilot verified on local streets at 35 mph. It is much better than yesterday. The car stayed in the center of the single lane road and did not move around in the lane. I had this issue on the previous release.

Summon with mobile app. works perfectly.

headrest adjustment verified. works great, Added a different headrest setting for the wife's profile.

This update is really nice for the AP2.0 users. I am planning a 800 mile round trip on friday. Will have a much better handle on the performance and limitations after the trip.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and kept us in the loop as 8.1 rolled out.

So on what screen does the lumbar and headrest show up. I have every available option except Cold Weather, but I don't see it. Nor have I ever seen lumbar. I have it, but on the side of the seat.

Can someone walk me through the steps? TIA

simple. press the circular dial on the left side of the driver seat.
the center console shows the seat and has two settings (lumber and headrest)
select the setting you want to adjust. you can then make the adjustment with the dial on the left side of the seat or the screen.
The setting window disappears rather quickly so you may have about 5 to 10 sec to make your selection.

Hope this helps.

Got 8.1 this evening and one of the new features according to the release notes is the ability to save FWD opening height at a specific location when indoors. The FWD don't open high enough for my liking in my garage with 14ft ceiling but even though I had the height setting in "Auto", I never saw the prompt to save. Anyone know how this feature works?

Got 8.1 this evening and one of the new features according to the release notes is the ability to save FWD opening height at a specific location when indoors. The FWD don't open high enough for my liking in my garage with 14ft ceiling but even though I had the height setting in "Auto", I never saw the prompt to save. Anyone know how this feature works?
I had the same situation.
Go into your garage, open the FWD from the console
on the center console, press and hold the FWD open door button, once the FWD opens all the way, the console will give you a prompt if you want to save the setting for this location. click yes. (and them bam you are done)

IMG_0490.JPG

Yea the save door setting "feature" seems to cause a little issue... notice what is missing above... and yes I called Tesla support, who had me reboot the car, and confirmed all of the updates completed without error. They are now researching the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
Are we sure that AP2 now use three cameras or is it just speculation as the car need to calibrate? Can someone maybe test to block the vision for two cameras and see if it still works like someone did with 8.0?
Right..... I've seen 'three', and 'three additional'. What additional? The two front and the rear? That makes no sense.

Is this actually documented anyway or as was said is it from the recalibration needed? The system could have needed recal in any case for the new features/limits, we don't know. ;)

Reactions: boaterva