Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Emergency Road Side Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's included with your Model S and X. Don't know for how long. They once helped me out in a huge deal. I was stuck in an area without power so couldn't charge anywhere. They got a flat bed and drove me 90 miles to the next Supercharger.

Only good for 500 miles and not for everything. Does not cover, for free anyway, running out of electricity or iirc, flat tires. It's intended for parts or system failures - things explicitly covered under warranty. At least as written. Now, if a tire came apart due to a defect, then I would expect that to be covered at least if the tires were bought from Tesla.

And beware AAA - a disreputable dispatcher kept me waiting an extra 3 hours in the cold and then extorted $95 cash by calling a tow truck that was not based where I was headed. You see, if you read the fine print, tows back to the point of origin (towyard) are done at no extra charge. Yep. So they started with the right truck, and then changed midstream. How do I know this? The second towing company owner told me. At 4am they had kept him waiting as well, and he wasn't happy. Fortunately the tow truck himself did his absolute best - still incurred a few hundred dollars damage to the car, but that was the result of a judgement call on my part, so that's on me. Needed a half inch more clearance and we just didn't have it.

Anyway, don't run out of electricity and don't have a flat and you should be fine. Most of the places without an SvC within 500 miles do have Rangers. Except on weekends when they are not available. Not that I had to drive 1800 miles without cruise control of any kind to get to an SvC or anything. On a weekend. Phenomenal service from that SvC when I got there though. Best service from any auto facility ever.

Added: Just saw David's post - absolutely that kind of support is also stellar. I got to an SC that was dead one time; turns out the entire town had been without power for 3 hours and the ETA was "we don't know". Tesla had a flatbed to me in 25 minutes and would have towed me to the next SC. Fortunately just before we were to hoist the car, the power came back on - it wasn't great, but it was enough to get me to the next SC, and finally returned to normal the next day.

Yes Tesla provides emergency roadside assistance during the warranty period. Like other manufacturers, they contract with local tow services of varying quality. I waited 3 hours on a Friday evening at the side of the road waiting for a flat bed when my drive unit failed. Since there is no spare, they will pick up the car when you have a flat.

I have always kept AAA in addition to what Lexus, MBZ and Tesla provide. As has been said, Tesla's service has limitations you should consider over what AAA provides, and honestly is much less that what my former Lexus and MBZ offered that were more in-line with full AAA roadside assistance. AAA also offers other things as has been said -- discounts, travel service, passport photos, and here in CA, I can go to a AAA office for most DMV transactions other than drivers license itself and avoid the lines and DMV hassle, as well as if I'm a passenger in another vehicle that has a problem, I could call and get roadside assist for my friend that I'm riding with... I'd add that while everyone has a story (me too) with towing companies, in major metropolitan areas, AAA does appear to have some of their own trucks or trucks with AAA so noted on the vehicles who I've been told are first on their list to respond, before AAA goes to the secondary market others (like Tesla's service) make use of -- that varies by geography and as you get further away from the big cities, as well as if you call at peak/unusual times-of-day when wait times may be longer for any service from anyone.

If you have a flat what does Tesla roadside assistance do exactly? Do they always take the car on a flatbed to a SC? What if it's in the middle of the night when the SC is closed? And even more difficult would be if you're in the middle of a long distance road trip - it seems like you could really be delayed quite a bit trying to get a tire replacement whereas if you had a spare in the car you'd be on your way after much less time. And lastly what is the charge for something like a flat tire tow once your car is out of warranty?

If you have a flat what does Tesla roadside assistance do exactly? Do they always take the car on a flatbed to a SC? What if it's in the middle of the night when the SC is closed? And even more difficult would be if you're in the middle of a long distance road trip - it seems like you could really be delayed quite a bit trying to get a tire replacement whereas if you had a spare in the car you'd be on your way after much less time. And lastly what is the charge for something like a flat tire tow once your car is out of warranty?

Mike - I'm about to find out, having had a flat last night while out of town. Tesla RA said they will tow on a flatbed over to my preferred tire repair shop. Without going into detail, the person said I probably don't want the tow to service center given the cost (back to Charlotte from Columbia SC is outside their 50-mile limit for a free tow). If this had happened at home, they would give a free tow to the Raleigh SC. Seems elaborate for a flat tire, but I left my portable compressor at home.

Well yesterday was my "lucky" day aka the "I told you so" day. Lurking in the shadows of this otherwise pristine roadway, were back to back 2 foot sink holes. No time to react, took a dead hit and within 15 seconds my dash lit up with right front & rear tire fails. PSIs hit 19 in seconds and then flashed ---. Although I was near an SvC, roadside said sit-tight and within 20 minutes they arrived with 2 identical replacement wheels and had me on my way. The SvC followed up by phone, set an appointment for next week to check everything out, swap the wheels and take care of lingering but not material nits. They offered to have a loaner ready and then apologized when they quoted the tire replacement cost. :eek: lol

Seriously though, the service level was flawless, further proven by the BMW still waiting a few feet up the road from me. He blew only one tire but also thought he bottomed-out badly and had more damage to be seen. He hadn't got a call back yet with ETA, and I was already driving away.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 119