Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy Customer Service delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Branzo90D

Salt and Pepper
Oct 13, 2015
NorCal
As the owner of a Model S and a Model 3 as well as a 7.8 kW Solar City PV array, I'd say I am one of Tesla Energy's best customers. In any case, I cannot get them to answer the telephone, return phone messages, or respond to my emails. I am now becoming increasingly upset and am not sure how to address my service needs in a reasonable manner.

I need to replace the roofing on my home, including, of course, that under my PV array. When I purchased the system three years ago from Solar City, I was told that, should this need arise, I could get them to uninstall and reinstall the array as needed for a $500 fee. I specifically asked this question as I knew my roof would soon need replacing. Now I get no response after two weeks. This includes two emails and two phone calls. When I leave a phone message, the auto answering system tells me I will receive a call within 48 hours. It has now been over a week since my first call and over a week since my email was sent.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, can you give me any guidance as to how to escalate this service need to management? The rainy season starts here in NorCal in about two to three months and I have to get this done to prevent water damage to my home.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was told it would be $1000 to remove and replace in case I needed them to. So I just replaced my roof before I installed solar even though I had about 5 years left. I figured the solar is going to protect my roof from the strongest sun anyways so I might as well do it.

You could probably get any solar company to do it too. Maybe even your roofer knows a good company.

I had a situation, not with Tesla but my original installer didn't return my phone calls regarding moving my panels to accommodate a reroof of my flat roof. I found a small solar installer who did it for $0.25 per Watt. It took him 8 hours in total to remove and replace 4kW. In my case the standoffs remained but the roofer also charged me $50 per standoff (30 standoffs) To provide and install prefabricated flashing. The roof replacement was paid for by my HOA. I now have a 30 year TPO membrane roof warranted by the roofer. I had previously had the original installer out twice for leaks. It ultimately evolved into a finger pointing situation regarding leaks in the original roof. This is entirely different than the OP's situation but is offered for others in a similar situation.

As the owner of a Model S and a Model 3 as well as a 7.8 kW Solar City PV array, I'd say I am one of Tesla Energy's best customers. In any case, I cannot get them to answer the telephone, return phone messages, or respond to my emails. I am now becoming increasingly upset and am not sure how to address my service needs in a reasonable manner.

I need to replace the roofing on my home, including, of course, that under my PV array. When I purchased the system three years ago from Solar City, I was told that, should this need arise, I could get them to uninstall and reinstall the array as needed for a $500 fee. I specifically asked this question as I knew my roof would soon need replacing. Now I get no response after two weeks. This includes two emails and two phone calls. When I leave a phone message, the auto answering system tells me I will receive a call within 48 hours. It has now been over a week since my first call and over a week since my email was sent.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, can you give me any guidance as to how to escalate this service need to management? The rainy season starts here in NorCal in about two to three months and I have to get this done to prevent water damage to my home.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I hear your pain. I've had a power wall on reserve since day one. I remember seeing a link on Tesla's website to escalate to management. You might try it, if it's still there.

I had a situation, not with Tesla but my original installer didn't return my phone calls regarding moving my panels to accommodate a reroof of my flat roof. I found a small solar installer who did it for $0.25 per Watt. It took him 8 hours in total to remove and replace 4kW. In my case the standoffs remained but the roofer also charged me $50 per standoff (30 standoffs) To provide and install prefabricated flashing. The roof replacement was paid for by my HOA. I now have a 30 year TPO membrane roof warranted by the roofer. I had previously had the original installer out twice for leaks. It ultimately evolved into a finger pointing situation regarding leaks in the original roof. This is entirely different than the OP's situation but is offered for others in a similar situation.
Yeah, that would run $1950 for my 7.8 kW system, so the contract at $499 would be a much better deal. Of course, I do need them to actually do it...