Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I am not sure how correct this article is but it appears that the proposed effective date is May 24, 2021... Lot of confusion on this credit..
That is an old piece of legislation, from May, that is dead.

I have the Performance ordered right now (EDD later this month). I'm seriously considering going with the LR, which I assume would be Feb/Mar delivery. I'd get the tax credit and save about $6-$7k on the car (depending on wheels)... just saving the $7k wasn't worth it for the wait time, but doubling that would mean I could get the LR and keep my current car for the same price (I love my Maxima, it's just too much gas money every month).

Could anyone that has a Tesla and kept there old car comment on if they still drive their old one still or is the Tesla just too much fun to drive?

I am not sure how correct this article is but it appears that the proposed effective date is May 24, 2021... Lot of confusion on this credit..
That article was written on May 28, 2021 and references some standalone legislation that was voted out of a committee. The bill has some similar provisions to the ones being proposed now, but I would not rely on the article for analysis of the current reconciliation bill being negotiated in congress.

So many conflicting reports. Anyone know the likelihood of getting a tax credit if one delays delivery to 01/22? Assuming M3 is just under (white) or over (blue) $40k.
Depends if this or a marked up version makes it into the reconciliation package and gets the needed votes. I think the likelihood is that a reconciliation bill will pass but not at $3.5T, some cuts will be made to get Dem moderates on board. The current proposal has a price cap of $55,000 on EV sedans, not $40,000.

Depends if this or a marked up version makes it into the reconciliation package and gets the needed votes. I think the likelihood is that a reconciliation bill will pass but not at $3.5T, some cuts will be made to get Dem moderates on board. The current proposal has a price cap of $55,000 on EV sedans, not $40,000.
Any insight on when will it votes

If I bought mine in May ‘21 would I be eligible for the tax credit?
Not in the currently proposed legislation. The purchase date would have to be Jan 01 2022 or later, however the bill is not yet law so this could change. Seems to me the best solution would be to make it immediate to not disrupt logistics and quarterly financials for Tesla/Ford etc.

Reactions: acat
Not in the currently proposed legislation. The purchase date would have to be Jan 01 2022 or later, however the bill is not yet law so this could change. Seems to me the best solution would be to make it immediate to not disrupt logistics and quarterly financials for Tesla/Ford etc.
Being that I could sell mine and gain $5-7k I could just always re-order a new one.

I have a Prius Prime. It gets 30 miles on electric and 60-70 mpg on my commute. The car is a 2017 and has 200k miles, with no issues. I will always have a Prius in some form, even with multiple Teslas.
How much maintenance has been required over 200k? Genuinely interested as a possible 2nd vehicle since it looks like it still qualifies for $4500 in Fed tax credit. That could make it a good EV commuter car.

Last edited: