Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where I'm at. Currently sitting on a delivery date of 1/2 - 1/20 for my MY.

Can anyone confirm this applies to vehicles "purchased" after 1/1/2022? I'm reading through the text but can't find anything that states the date it would apply.

No one can really confirm this till the law is passed. That being said, if the law were to have any hope of passing at all, it will have to be before the end of this year, which means that the Jan 1, 2022 date is pretty likely if the law passes since it has been fairly consistent across a number of different bills proposing EV credits. As long as your delivery date doesn't move up into 2021, you should be fine either ways. While there is still a chance that EV tax credits may not happen at all, the chances that the date won't be Jan 1, 2022 if it does pass are very very low imo, so I think you are very well poised with your current EDD.

Reactions: tangible1
It’s a little confusing, but basically it says that EV credits of some amount will be probably be available to some purchases at some point in the future. Everything else is speculation 😅
So subsections (a), (c), and (d) apply to vehicles acquired after 12/31/21
subsection (b) applies to vehicles purchased OR leased after 12/31/22

Subsection a,c, and d talk about the credit. Subsection B is Transfer of Credit. In other words, the credit goes to the name on the title of the vehicle. So if leasing, will go to leasing company - although they should pass this on to purchaser. Same if purchasing, taxpayer can elect to credit to the dealer and trhe amount can be used to form a down payment or otherwise.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I agree with you, but also want to point out that the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill has funding towards building out EV charging networks. So ideally we will have a two pronged approach.

Bipartisan infrastructure bill passes US Senate with billions for EV charging network.
"Specifically, the bill includes $7.5 billion to create charging stations all across the US, which would inevitably help spur EV adoption in the country. In addition, the bill includes another $7.5 billion to transition buses and other public transportation away from fossil fuels and to zero-emission options. Further, $66 billion goes to Amtrak to fund a backlog of repairs, and to help expand routes across the US."
Even better.

All of the arguments you make are a fantastic justification for doubling or tripling the $7.5b they have set aside from EV infrastructure. Not a great justification for spending tens of billions of dollars helping people buy PHEVs.

If this policy just benefitted BEVs, it would be tolerable. The fact that it funnels billions into companies for producing ICE cars with tiny batteries makes it a giant waste of money.

If they spent the money on infrastructure, they would have enough money to install charging stations at all the soccer fields in the country and the soccer moms would never need to worry about finding a charger.
You’re missing the point. Government works best when it seeds endeavors and then the free market takes over. I’m staying out of the relative merits of PHEV/BEV because I am not able to make a good case either way.

But I do believe that kick starting the demand by offering these incentives to consumers and kick starting supply by offering incentives for infrastructure is a sound policy decision.

Is it the only wise way to approach the problem? Certainly not. Back when we used to have healthy policy debates, there’d be other ideas. As it is now, it’s one side talking to itself and the others are just stamping their feet.

Last edited:
You’re missing the point. Government works best when it seeds endeavors and then the free market takes over. I’m staying out of the relative merits of PHEV/BEV because I am not able to make a good case either way.

But I do believe that kick starting the demand by offering these incentives to consumers and kick starting supply by offering incentives for infrastructure is a sound policy decision.
They’ve already kick started demand with the Obama era legislation. We’re way past that point in the adoption curve. We’re now hitting the upslope in the growth curve and manufactures can’t keep up with existing demand.

These incentives will have zero impact on the number of EVs bought or sold for at least another 2-3 years. Doesn’t matter if the incentive is $0 or 20k, Tesla, VW, and Ford, are selling every single BEV they can manufacture.

They’ve already kick started demand with the Obama era legislation. We’re way past that point in the adoption curve. We’re now hitting the upslope in the growth curve and manufactures can’t keep up with existing demand.

These incentives will have zero impact on the number of EVs bought or sold for at least another 2-3 years. Doesn’t matter if the incentive is $0 or 20k, Tesla, VW, and Ford, are selling every single BEV they can manufacture.
Where can I buy a crystal ball because you seem to have one. ;)

More demand is good. It’ll help manufacturers move more swiftly to an all EV fleet.

would it make sense if one is scheduled to receive their car November / December this year to just take delivery. And order another one scheduled for next year. When the new one comes in trade the old one in for a profit. Then get the tax credit for the new one and keep that one.

Where can I buy a crystal ball because you seem to have one. ;)

More demand is good. It’ll help manufacturers move more swiftly to an all EV fleet.

If the government is spending 10s of billions of dollars, there should actually be a demonstrable problem they are addressing.

You are suggesting they spend money “Just in case” demand for EVs falls off a cliff in 9 months.

You are the one pushing crystal ball based policy.

If I'm Tesla, I absolutely permit people to push deliveries into first of the year. This savings only strengthens the brand and costs Tesla nothing. If anything, many people buying will be stoked with the savings and opt to spend chunks of the believed savings on various other upgrades. I do not worry about the 4th QTR numbers much and think that the credit will only further strengthen sales in Q1 of '22. Personally, I have an estimated delivery of 12/7 - 12/31. If I am told I can't push it back and miss out on tax savings (if it comes to fruition) then I will cancel my Order and pursue other EV alternatives. I do not want to do that but I would and am sure others would follow suit.

would it make sense if one is scheduled to receive their car November / December this year to just take delivery. And order another one scheduled for next year. When the new one comes in trade the old one in for a profit. Then get the tax credit for the new one and keep that one.
Could try doing that but the market for used teslas may dry up drastically. That said, I haven't read the entire bill and not sure if the credit could be used for a non-new vehicle.

This is what I'm leaning towards too... I have another Tesla on hold (well, two but I'll probably never get the Model 3). My plan was to get the LR later next year or the year after with the credit. I was planning on going out of town most of December so no driving (so putting the order on hold), but looks like I'm hosting everyone around Christmas which means almost daily trips to the airport :rolleyes:.

I know we won't have any info with the tax credit until it's passed, but with the old one could you get it multiple times or was it just the first EV? If MYP delivery times are still January/February when it passes, I may consider hold off and get one Q1, otherwise I'm not waiting on the credit and I'll just use it on a LR model later in the year or in 2023 with new battery packs and casting.

i think you missed my point. Trade in the old one when the next one comes in next year. Then you will be eligible for the tax credit for the new one that gets delivered in 2022.
What I'm saying is the value of your trade will likely drop then compared to what you would get now. Who is going to want to pay a premium for a used tesla when they can get a new one for thousands cheaper? The decrease in price for the trade would then offset savings from credit.

If I'm Tesla, I absolutely permit people to push deliveries into first of the year. This savings only strengthens the brand and costs Tesla nothing. If anything, many people buying will be stoked with the savings and opt to spend chunks of the believed savings on various other upgrades. I do not worry about the 4th QTR numbers much and think that the credit will only further strengthen sales in Q1 of '22. Personally, I have an estimated delivery of 12/7 - 12/31. If I am told I can't push it back and miss out on tax savings (if it comes to fruition) then I will cancel my Order and pursue other EV alternatives. I do not want to do that but I would and am sure others would follow suit.
I don't think that it will be a problem to postpone the delivery by a month or so and do not think that you will need to cancel your order. My estimated delivery is 11/23 - 12/21 and I also plan to take delivery in January.

Reactions: MC_EV
I don't think that it will be a problem to postpone the delivery by a month or so and do not think that you will need to cancel your order. My estimated delivery is 11/23 - 12/21 and I also plan to take deliver in January.

I'm on the chat with someone from Tesla on their site and I'm planning on ordering the Model Y Performance. They stated that it should be fine for me to hold off delivery till May 2022.

I don't think that it will be a problem to postpone the delivery by a month or so and do not think that you will need to cancel your order. My estimated delivery is 11/23 - 12/21 and I also plan to take delivery in January.
I do not have my VIN yet but reached out via text earlier today to Tesla. I was told to contact them once I had my VIN. They said if I am not ready then I can wait until the next one arrives. It was through text but they seemed receptive so we'll see.