Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD changed to a 14 days window ( 11/17 - 12/1).

I talked to a SA today and asked him I wanted to delay my EDD to Jan. 2022. It called my attention that he wrote a note saying I'm not able to take delivery until Jan 2022. My acct doesn't show it is on Hold.

Am I ok??? Or should I make sure my acct is on hold ??

I talked to a SA today and asked him I wanted to delay my EDD to Jan. 2022. It called my attention that he wrote a note saying I'm not able to take delivery until Jan 2022. My acct doesn't show it is on Hold.

Did you get a VIN assigned yet? If not, don't do anything until you get one. The EDD really means nothing...the VIN means everything. Once you have a VIN, then you can put on hold until you are ready to take delivery. They will reassign that VIN to another buyer, but you will not go to the end of the line....once you release the hold, you will be assigned the next available VIN depending on your location.

It kinda sounds like he would like to axe the extra money for Union made EV's. The base $7,500 rebate could still make it (I hope), which is all us Tesla buyers were ever going to see anyways.
My hope would be to make it just "Made in America"...then we all get the $4500. This would in turn push companies to set up shop in America, develop batteries in America, etc. It would be using US Tax dollars to benefit American technology, companies and workers...all at the same time helping drive EV sales and speeding up the demise of fossil fuels. Isn't that the overall goal?

Give it a day or two and it'll propagate to your Tesla.com account in all probability. If not, contact an SA again and confirm the hold until Jan 2022.

I originally ordered MYLR in March with an EDD end of June. They called me June 22 and I delayed delivery until Sept. Have not heard anything from them all summer and I now have an EDD of Nov 28-Dec 9. This seems to be in line with July-Aug orders. So I think I was pushed to the back of the line in August. I'm fine with it, just strange how this process works. As for the BBB, I don't see it passing at all, let alone before I take delivery. Not gonna push for politics. my opinion on it

Reactions: Corndart
a)
1637083073246.png

b)
1637083108796.png

Per The Washington Post 11:44 AM EST https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/11/16/house-democrats-budget-reconciliation/

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
We should get a clearer picture by the end of this week when the CBO scores come out. The chance of something passing is a lot higher than 50% (in my view). Whether the EV tax credits stay in will depend on how it gets scored. I’m cautiously optimistic.
This is where I am at. I was a huge EV Credit skeptic a few weeks ago and figured it would be the first to go. But the fact that they survived the first round of major cuts shows they have more support than I thought. Other than Manchin's attack on the Union portion, there hasn't really been an open discussion about killing the credits all together. Looking at what's in place now, I think that makes sense. One thing to keep in mind is that the current 200,000 vehicle credit still exists. The EV credit being discussed is not necessarily a new credit but rather a modification and expansion of the current credit. Not passing a new EV credit will continue an, arguably, poorly designed tax credit. I think there is general consensus that the current credit needs to be changed.

That said, I still believe they will pass something before the end of the year. The Dems have trapped themselves in a corner and have no choice but to pass something. However, it's likely to get further watered down by both the House and Senate. At this point, the whole bill is practically useless.

Getting real tired of Joe Manchin, if this thing pushes passed Christmas that will screw all of us who have holds on our orders until January. Manchin has 'a lot of concerns' over timing of Biden climate and social spending plan
If it doesn't get passed before the end of the year, there is no point in holding anymore. At that point, it's either totally dead, or not going to go into affect until 2023 IMO. There will be no more urgency for Congress to pass it and it will get dragged out for many more months.

Let's be real, I don't think any one of us is really getting "screwed" here if this doesn't pass. I have an EDD of end of December and you can be sure I'll put it on hold if it looks like it will pass. The scenario I dread is to take delivery only for the credit to go into affect a few weeks or days later. I highly doubt any of us on the waitlist are only buying because of the credit.

At this point, if they just killed the whole thing or said they were pushing it off to next year, it would be a relief for me.

The old EV credit was capped at 200K per manufacturer and has probably cost under $10B over 10+ years. The new tax credit will cost that PER year with most of it going to Tesla purchasers (600K sold this year). When the CBO scores it, politicians will freak out at the cost.

My guess is the credit is halved and capped at 500K or 1M vehicles. And rules that make Tesla ineligible.

• Informative
The old EV credit was capped at 200K per manufacturer and has probably cost under $10B over 10+ years. The new tax credit will cost that PER year with most of it going to Tesla purchasers (600K sold this year). When the CBO scores it, politicians will freak out at the cost.

My guess is the credit is halved and capped at 500K or 1M vehicles. And rules that make Tesla ineligible.

Where are you getting the 600k sold in the US this year?

Anyways, your general point about most of it going to Tesla and them trying to make Tesla ineligible still stands and I agree. They are already trying to give GM/Ford an advantage with the $4,500 and limiting the Sedan MSRP to $55,000 since GM/Ford mainly just make Trucks/SUVs.

I was going to buy the car anyhow and I am in at $50,990 from a May order so I am already in the green with current pricing. Just irritating that one person is holding this up.
His main gripe about the EV credit is the $4,500 additional amount for Union assembled PHEVs or EVs. I agree with him on this and would be criminal to keep it in and hopefully he doesn't sign it until its removed. I haven't read the whole bill so can't comment on anything else.

His main gripe about the EV credit is the $4,500 additional amount for Union assembled PHEVs or EVs. I agree with him on this and would be criminal to keep it in and hopefully he doesn't sign it until its removed. I haven't read the whole bill so can't comment on anything else.
I agree with the gripe on the union assembled credit, but it is sounding like from the article I posted above that he is trying to pump the brakes on the entire bill.