Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think if families are relying on child tax credit to get children out of poverty, they are not going to be buying full size gas guzzling SUVs. I think the whole argument here is if you could have child tax credit OR EV tax credit, which one should you have. My argument is that don't give child tax credit, but provide free food help, rent help and do ev tax credit. giving someone money for having a child to me sends the wrong message. you don't know if that money really goes towards the child whereas if its food and rent help, that is a more guided help to the family.
Let me ask. Did we tell the corporations and ultra-wealthy who received the $1,900,000,000 tax breaks in 2018 how to spend their windfall??

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
There are always stipulation on bailing companies out. They infact paid some interest to the government. They also had stipulation on ceo pay, bonuses and others. And rightfully so.
No bailing out is involved there. Just a $1.9 trillion tax break (2018) for big businesses to get them to spend on growth which of course, they didn't.
They gave big bonuses to high-level managers.
They paid no tax on that and in fact got the tax break.
Musk believes in NO SUBSIDIES for anyone. Now, of course, that would include the $20 billion a year to fossil fuels industries.

No bailing out is involved there. Just a $1.9 trillion tax break (2018) for big businesses to get them to spend on growth which of course, they didn't.
They gave big bonuses to high-level managers.
They paid no tax on that and in fact got the tax break.
Musk believes in NO SUBSIDIES for anyone. Now, of course, that would include the $20 billion a year to fossil fuels industries.
I find it hard to believe that $20bn is all the subsidy fossil fuels get. 👀

That's just for oil subsidies:
A conservative estimate from Oil Change International puts the U.S. total at around $20.5 billion annually, including $14.7 billion in federal subsidies and $5.8 billion in state-level incentives. Oct 13, 2021

That's just for oil subsidies:
A conservative estimate from Oil Change International puts the U.S. total at around $20.5 billion annually, including $14.7 billion in federal subsidies and $5.8 billion in state-level incentives. Oct 13, 2021
Suggest you read teh report and try to isolate those tax breaks that are specific to only the oil industry vs tax breaks that are open to every industry, including solar and renewables. For example the report claims ~$1.6b in subsidies for an accounting feature called LIFO, that is open to every business and has been for decades. But over time, LIFO is only good for industries with constantly increasing prices. When oil prices tanks, LIFO becomes a negative to the business, and thus is the opposite of a subsidy. Regardless, this is just an accounting entry that is open to every mom-and-pop as well as mega corp business. Solar firms can choose LIFO as well.

Another example is the extra deduction for domestic production. It too, is open to ALL manufacturers that locate plants in the US, including the solar and renewable manufacturers.....

Not suggesting taht the US does not have industry-specific subsidies, but that $20b is not the correct number.

If I buy a MYP tonight, and it is delivered in Feb 2022, and the Biden admin passes a bill; will I be eligible for a tax credit?

I am not sure how this works; does the bill need to be signed in to office before I take delivery? This is so stupid. Why can’t congress just pass a less ridiculous bill?

If I buy a MYP tonight, and it is delivered in Feb 2022, and the Biden admin passes a bill; will I be eligible for a tax credit?

I am not sure how this works; does the bill need to be signed in to office before I take delivery? This is so stupid. Why can’t congress just pass a less ridiculous bill?
No one knows anything regarding that (language could be different by then) At this point the best metric should be if you actually want to buy a new Tesla, and you can afford to then you should absolutely do so.

Anything you receive past a car is a bonus.

Last edited:

If the bill is passed by Feb you will be eligible. It is based on the delivery date. Of course, they could include verbiage to make it retroactive, but I don't think it would go back any further than Jan 1, 2022. If it doesn't pass, just send a party tray of doggy doo doo to Joe Manchin's yacht named ALMOST HEAVEN.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes I got the same thing, my original EDD was 12/27-31st and I got my VIN assigned yesterday, contacted them and told them I'm out of town until after the 2nd, they placed a hold until Jan 1st, looked today, same as yours, but prepare for delivery 12/30-31st. Still got a few days, I plan to contact them again IF I get assigned another VIN.

Reactions: Firocity
Yes I got the same thing, my original EDD was 12/27-31st and I got my VIN assigned yesterday, contacted them and told them I'm out of town until after the 2nd, they placed a hold until Jan 1st, looked today, same as yours, but prepare for delivery 12/30-31st. Still got a few days, I plan to contact them again IF I get assigned another VIN.
You may be in the clear as you have 3 days to pick up your car. Very strange situation though with people being out of town for the holidays.

Same, hold was until 1/1 and it automatically went off hold this morning. Just checked it is still TBD. I am out of town until 31st so hopefully don't have to deal with getting assigned a VIN and trying to push it off a few days since heard they are randomly cancelling people's orders now.

Just checked and my 1/1 hold was removed as well and currently says TBD. Hope they’ll let me hold off still.
Ftr, mine said TBD for a day or two when I came off hold. Getting assigned a VIN today should still get you in the clear for a 2022 delivery even if the car is on their lot.

The Senate reconvenes on Monday. I'm not sure what they're going to work on but it sounds like they may split up BBB. I don't think EVs are top priority.

Ftr, mine said TBD for a day or two when I came off hold. Getting assigned a VIN today should still get you in the clear for a 2022 delivery even if the car is on their lot.

The Senate reconvenes on Monday. I'm not sure what they're going to work on but it sounds like they may split up BBB. I don't think EVs are top priority.
When did you come off hold and how long until you took delivery?

My hope in something passing is now pretty small. I’m not going to delay any further past the 1st and will just hope that if something passes, it keeps the current language for cars purchased after 12/31.

When did you come off hold and how long until you took delivery?

My hope in something passing is now pretty small. I’m not going to delay any further past the 1st and will just hope that if something passes, it keeps the current language for cars purchased after 12/31.
Took it off hold on December 8th because of the email telling me I had to or it would be cancelled. It immediately said TBD then changed to Feb-Mar a day later. I'll still probably take delivery and just sell if they don't pass the tax credit. I want the car but it's barely within my budget with the tax credit and the price I locked in at.