Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long term government incentives will not only encourage more buyers to select EVs, it will also provide an incentive to build factories in the US and employ US workers. The Union bonus is simply pandering to Unions that send most all their political contributions to Democrats.
I agree, government incentives will encourage growth for new manufactures getting into the EV game and will expand new EV car ownership. I was referring to Tesla, we don't need any more incentives. Folks buying Teslas are going to buy these cars with or without any incentives. Obviously, we're all above the poverty rate even considering buying these cars.

Reactions: 45thParallel
Different take. The incentive is for EVs. Just because you can afford a Tesla also means you can afford a Chevy Suburban. The point of an incentive is to get people buying EV not ICE. People that can afford Teslas are also probably frugal so an incentive to get them to buy an X over an Surburban accomplishes the goal.

BTW I am against and happy the BBB got killed. Let the companies stand on their own. Promote EVs and get people to buy EVs because it is a better choice for them (if it is a better choice).

Quote:
... I cannot explain the sweeping Build Back Better Act in West Virginia and I cannot vote to move forward on this mammoth piece of legislation. ...
/quote
Related articles:
  1. Sen. Joe Manchin Says He Won't Vote for ‘Build Back Better' Bill in Blow to President Biden
  2. The White House slams Joe Manchin and charges him with 'a sudden and inexplicable reversal' for effectively sinking Biden's social spending bill
  3. Manchin says he won't vote for Build Back Better Act
  4. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/12/19/white-house-statement-joe-manchin/
  5. Liberal pundits react to Manchin's 'no' on Build Back Better: 'A lot to process'
Quote:
"This is a no on this piece of legislation," Manchin said. "I have tried everything I know to do."

Last edited:
Moderator Note: Some have been moved into this thread from an existing discussion. Just a reminder that TMC is not the place for political and ideological discussions. Politics can be discussed as they pertain to EVs or Tesla, but not in a broader sense. There are plenty of places to practice hobby politics, but this is not intended to be one of them. Thanks for understanding.

My opinion is that a smaller package will be passed in January / February. I think the smaller package will include climate change related issues, including some kind of EV tax credit. It will still be effective 1/1/22.

A bigger unknown is that the current House version of BBB does income tests on the prior year as well as the current year (in the case of taking delivery in 2022, they would evaluate you on 2021 and 2022 income) - if EITHER one is over the designated limits, it will reduce the credit you receive. Will they keep the 2 year income test? What will be the phase out limits? These are unknows...
I doubt they would get the progressive caucus to agree to smaller bill, some have already said they won't settle for significantly less than they agreed to and feel shafted by Manchin, not to mention they have to go all the way back to square one in an election year now, EV credits are a long shot now, if anything has a prayer it will be a stand alone child tax credit bill but even that is a long shot and the dems can only pass one reconciliation bill after that it will be a different congress. EV credits aren't a big deal to most, its not controversial so its easy to cut.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time wrapping around the idea of a tax credit when we're spending well over $60K for a car. If Tesla buyers can afford the car they don't need a tax credit. Inflation is already bad enough and we sure as hell don't need more.
Well when you consider the vast amounts of tax dollars going towards keeping gas prices artificially low (compare US to other countries) giving massive tax credits to families who buy trucks rather than cars, and lets not even get into institutionalized scam that is Ethanol, well EV tax credits really seem like the very least the government could offer.

Well when you consider the vast amounts of tax dollars going towards keeping gas prices artificially low (compare US to other countries) giving massive tax credits to families who buy trucks rather than cars, and lets not even get into institutionalized scam that is Ethanol, well EV tax credits really seem like the very least the government could offer.
Two wrongs making a right is not the way, but that news seems to have skipped the elected making the wrongs.

Two wrongs making a right is not the way, but that news seems to have skipped the elected making the wrongs.
I think a lot of tesla buyers were only considering EVs due to the tax credit lowering the price down to a range that they were comfortable with. The RIGHT thing to do is to fix this environment from going to he77. If that means giving the tax credit to get us to a greener environment, i think we should ALL be for that. I don't think the child tax credits should be extended because there is no need for that. People didn't have kids knowing they would get tax breaks. If anything more people in the world creates more pollution.

For all those saying it's dead: The door definitely opened again when a coal mining union asked Manchin to reconsider. Supposedly more talks ongoing as I type this. So yes, probably still dead, but there is at least a bit of hope. A fool's hope.
It's not dead yet!