Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla experience was great until I ordered a car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on the Model 3 list from day 1. I ordered mid-range in October. I received a confirmation from a local "Owner Advisor". I responded to the Owner Advisor with a question, but did not receive a response. When I was next near the Tesla showroom, I stopped by. He was there. I introduced myself. He was completely disinterested. Made me feel like I was wasting his time. I did not hang around. I called and emailed Tesla with my question. I still have not received a response to my emails and customer service submissions online. Those were from late October.

After a month went by and I heard nothing about the car I ordered, I started trying to contact Tesla again. I emailed again but still no response. I called and got someone on the phone but she knew very little. I went back to the Tesla showroom again to talk to my Owner Advisor. Again, he would not give me the time of day. I left quite incredulous.

I emailed him again and stated that if he was too busy to talk to me, I would like to speak to another OA. He did not initially respond. I emailed him again with the same request. He then sent me an email with the name of another OA and CC'd the other OA.

I sent the other OA an email with 2 quick questions. No response. That was over a week ago.

Now I am very close to delivery. No one has contacted me about a pending delivery. My OA's are clearly not interested in talking to me.

I am very tempted to return this car once it arrives, just because I am terrified of their horrible customer service.

Service is atrocious right now. Cars amazing but hard to recommend.

Exhibit A
I got a crack in my windshield and made an appointment online to get it changed out. I get there today and they tell me they have no loaners but I can get a Lyft home. No problem, windshield repair is few hours tops, I'll just wait. Oh, nope, they tell me they need my car to sit there for over a week before they can get around to actually replacing the windshield. Nope, I left and made another appointment later. Why can't they bother to call me and tell me they won't be ready to work on the car and give me options?

Exhibit B
Sixty days after delivery both temp plates I was given (red flag!) were expired. Nobody called me, even though they knew the dates when they gave them to me. I called in. Was given an email address to write to. Emails went unanswered. Expired tags for over a week! Finally wrote to executive team, got a new temp tag and then someone called me and said they needed insurance details in order to register the car. They were just doing nothing on this for two months and only now after I use the nuke option they're starting???

Exhibit C
My wife had a Tesla before me. When I ordered my 3, it ended up on a different account. This meant constantly signing in and out of the Tesla app. Annoying, but easy to fix right? I wrote a request as the service center told me to, then four weeks go by and silence. I call in, they apologize and take notes and tell me I need to reply to an email to confirm the request. Email comes, I reply, then nothing for six more weeks! Out came the nuke option again. My accounts were merged within 24 hours of messaging executive team.

Exhibit D, regarding the vaporware spoiler for my P3D

upload_2018-12-12_19-9-11.png

I don't know whats going on at Tesla but I sure hope they find their way and come out the other side, because I love the cars but their service is untenable!

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-12_19-9-11.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-12_19-9-11.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I was on the Model 3 list from day 1. I ordered mid-range in October. I received a confirmation from a local "Owner Advisor". I responded to the Owner Advisor with a question, but did not receive a response. When I was next near the Tesla showroom, I stopped by. He was there. I introduced myself. He was completely disinterested. Made me feel like I was wasting his time. I did not hang around. I called and emailed Tesla with my question. I still have not received a response to my emails and customer service submissions online. Those were from late October.

After a month went by and I heard nothing about the car I ordered, I started trying to contact Tesla again. I emailed again but still no response. I called and got someone on the phone but she knew very little. I went back to the Tesla showroom again to talk to my Owner Advisor. Again, he would not give me the time of day. I left quite incredulous.

I emailed him again and stated that if he was too busy to talk to me, I would like to speak to another OA. He did not initially respond. I emailed him again with the same request. He then sent me an email with the name of another OA and CC'd the other OA.

I sent the other OA an email with 2 quick questions. No response. That was over a week ago.

Now I am very close to delivery. No one has contacted me about a pending delivery. My OA's are clearly not interested in talking to me.

I am very tempted to return this car once it arrives, just because I am terrified of their horrible customer service.

I can assure you, it won't get any better post delivery... Tesla makes transcending cars but as a business, it cannot walk and chew gum at the same time...

The only way this changes is if people stop buying the cars, then they'll be forced to address the mountain of issues they have as a company. Wall Street is so hyper focused on delivery numbers and so is Tesla as a result.

Jeff

Customer service and service centers can be GREAT, but it usually depends on a particular location and/or contact. Across the board, they are a terrible mess... Surely they will get the many kinks worked out over time. Doesn't do much for you now though when you need help...

Reactions: StellarRat
My advisor was great but he refused to do phone calls and did everything over email.

Delivery was crappy but members tell me to just ignore it and enjoy the car. I'll be honest, if the car wasn't absolutely amazing the Walmart level service and attitude I got at my delivery would have had me walk out the door. Once the tax credit fades and other automakers come up with close enough offerings, Tesla will suffer for the crappy front office - at least where I got my car.

Service advisor is awesome and on par with what I had when I had my Cayman.

All in all you will love the car and forget the crappy presale services.

Reactions: StellarRat

So what was the question? This seems like a place you could have asked the question.

I feel like I would be a fool to get into a relationship with a company that treats me like this. So disappointing.

If you absolutely must have an electric car at this point, then maybe you should roll the dice. I.m.o., there isn't another electric car that is objectively better at this time. If, however, you primarily want a CAR, then run, don't walk!

As of now, the company is grossly incompetent in every single aspect: sales, customer support, service, logistics, supply chain, inventory management. ... everything. Seemingly simple things are a huge challenge with Tesla and that can make your ownership experience very very annoying.

The car itself is somewhat OK. In some ways it's great, but beyond that, honestly, it's crap. I own the car, I tried all the other ones, I've seen the factory and, to me, it's all a very exciting and dysfunctional mess. You will hear comments from owners along the lines of "... aside from a small door misalignment, paint issues, crooked hood and water leaking inside, the car was perfect. Best Car Ever!". That's from people who, just like me, are excited with the "different" aspect of Tesla. They (I really should say "we") are ready to forgive flaws that would sink another manufacturer in no time flat. If you're cool with that and have 50K+ to gamble, then go for it. Otherwise, if you expect something reasonable, dependable and you need to be careful with your money, stay away for a little bit longer.

If you absolutely must have an electric car at this point, then maybe you should roll the dice. I.m.o., there isn't another electric car that is objectively better at this time. If, however, you primarily want a CAR, then run, don't walk!

As of now, the company is grossly incompetent in every single aspect: sales, customer support, service, logistics, supply chain, inventory management. ... everything. Seemingly simple things are a huge challenge with Tesla and that can make your ownership experience very very annoying.

The car itself is somewhat OK. In some ways it's great, but beyond that, honestly, it's crap. I own the car, I tried all the other ones, I've seen the factory and, to me, it's all a very exciting and dysfunctional mess. You will hear comments from owners along the lines of "... aside from a small door misalignment, paint issues, crooked hood and water leaking inside, the car was perfect. Best Car Ever!". That's from people who, just like me, are excited with the "different" aspect of Tesla. They (I really should say "we") are ready to forgive flaws that would sink another manufacturer in no time flat. If you're cool with that and have 50K+ to gamble, then go for it. Otherwise, if you expect something reasonable, dependable and you need to be careful with your money, stay away for a little bit longer.

85% of your post is legit...but saying the car is crap...just wow.

This is helpful. Thanks.

I've experienced the full spectrum of Tesla - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Multiple delivery cancellations, botched delivery, paint and body panel alignment issues, hours on hold, unanswered emails, delayed delivery of the correct wheels and even body repair that is still outstanding. I acknowledge the shortcomings and am critical of the deficiencies and but look beyond them because in the end, those are exceptions. Even crappy customer service reps are not the normal. Most people who have not experienced problems are not posting on the boards... I'm extremely grateful to the few dedicated people at Tesla who have worked really hard to smooth the path, and that is what I'm hanging my Tesla-branded hat on.

The car is amazing. There is NOTHING like it available at this time on the mass market, and most of the people I've encountered at Tesla are very good at their jobs and work hard to solve the problems. The real issue is that so many of the problems that you describe should have never occurred in the first place.

Honestly, if you are not happy now, any further dropout in the customer service department is going to make it worse. Personally, I have zero regrets about purchasing the car, even when I look back at the train wreckage.

85% of your post is legit...but saying the car is crap...just wow.

Well, if we apply any intellectual honesty to the current situation, then yeah, it is crap (defined as unfit for purpose in the understanding of the majority of consumers and for the usage patterns of the respective majority of new car buyers). We're a self-selected minority of people here who put up with stuff that is far outside the norm, some of us because of some form of well-intended zealotry and some because it helps justify (to oneself) a less than excellent choice. When someone expresses doubt and seeks guidance, providing feedback distorted through our own unreasonable level of tolerance is going to be neither helpful nor honest to the person seeking such guidance.

I'll try to extrapolate my experience to non-Tesla products for the sake of the argument:
How quick would you return or request a replacement for a TV that would turn on 50% of the time when you press the remote?
How quick would you give up on a refrigerator that you had use of for about 1/3 of your total ownership time and was otherwise constantly in for repairs? Would the spoiled food and all other consequences of its lack of availability be acceptable to you? Would you take a rental refrigerator or perhaps use the spare one in the garage and be ok with that?
Would you comfortably ride a bike (an expensive one at that) that had creaking struts and half-dangling brake calipers?

I could go on all day ...

Well, if we apply any intellectual honesty to the current situation, then yeah, it is crap (defined as unfit for purpose in the understanding of the majority of consumers and for the usage patterns of the respective majority of new car buyers). We're a self-selected minority of people here who put up with stuff that is far outside the norm, some of us because of some form of well-intended zealotry and some because it helps justify (to oneself) a less than excellent choice. When someone expresses doubt and seeks guidance, providing feedback distorted through our own unreasonable level of tolerance is going to be neither helpful nor honest to the person seeking such guidance.

I'll try to extrapolate my experience to non-Tesla products for the sake of the argument:
How quick would you return or request a replacement for a TV that would turn on 50% of the time when you press the remote?
How quick would you give up on a refrigerator that you had use of for about 1/3 of your total ownership time and was otherwise constantly in for repairs? Would the spoiled food and all other consequences of its lack of availability be acceptable to you? Would you take a rental refrigerator or perhaps use the spare one in the garage and be ok with that?
Would you comfortably ride a bike (an expensive one at that) that had creaking struts and half-dangling brake calipers?

I could go on all day ...

Using your TV analogy...there are 1000 TVs on the market that deliver the exact same features.

Name a single car that delivers what the model 3 delivers. No, not an aspect of it...all of it. EV, style, performance, tech and infrastructure. Name one that the model 3 is “crap” in comparison to. Using any intellectual honesty, you can’t.

So calling it crap requires a relative comparison. Saying that manufacturing quality pales in comparison to BMW, I can agree with. But BMW pales in comparison in many other areas.

Saying the Model 3 is “crap”...is intellectually dishonest. Maybe the car just isn’t for you. So find another more “reliable” car, but it won’t won’t offer everything else the model 3 does.