Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla + EZPass = uglified. Need ideas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a similar conundrum, but I think have a solution.

Currently I'm in a 2014 S, back when they had the windshield UV coating (and the "box" for transponders next to the mirror either didn't exist, or was sketchy...either way, my EZ Pass didn't work there, but I digress.....)

I ordered the "twinkie" and have it on my front plate now.

When I take delivery of my 3, I don't want to see the EZ-Pass anymore, so I am going to look into a combination of zip-ties and 2-sided tape to put it on the underside of the frunk. Out of sight, but still readable by any readers I'll pass through.

I'm in a similar conundrum, but I think have a solution.

Currently I'm in a 2014 S, back when they had the windshield UV coating (and the "box" for transponders next to the mirror either didn't exist, or was sketchy...either way, my EZ Pass didn't work there, but I digress.....)

I ordered the "twinkie" and have it on my front plate now.

When I take delivery of my 3, I don't want to see the EZ-Pass anymore, so I am going to look into a combination of zip-ties and 2-sided tape to put it on the underside of the frunk. Out of sight, but still readable by any readers I'll pass through.

Now that I would try if it works!

We use these EZ Pass License Plate mount on our Teslas (Model x and two Model 3's). They cost about 3.00 more in Maryland. Here's a picture of someone using it without a license plate.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 219
We use these EZ Pass License Plate mount on our Teslas (Model x and two Model 3's). They cost about 3.00 more in Maryland. Here's a picture of someone using it without a license plate.
yes, I have that because of the windshield on my S, and I don't feel like switching back and having the ugly white one on my windshield. It's probably easier to hide this under the frunk lid.

The frunk idea sounds great, keep us posted. Wouldn't the attached 3M locking fasteners work best? Very low profile and can be removed easily.

TexasEV said:
Y’all sure are backwards up on the east coast. In Texas we have a very small sticker with a RFID chip that goes inside the windshield by the rear view mirror.
https://www.txtag.org/en/about/basics_installing.shtml
Ya - Florida too. Much smarter!
I live in South Florida and unfortunately can't use the small sticker. I have the bulky suction cup style so I can remove it when I ride the I-95 Express lanes. I have to put the SunPass into a RFID shielded bag so I dont get charged any tolls. Luckily the express lanes are not part of my daily commute.

The I-95 Express lanes run throughout South Florida and are free if you an HOV registration. So I also have an big orange HOV sticker on the back windshield.

Why can't Florida put the HOV sticker on the license plate? Even a small bumper sticker like in CA would be better

Last edited:
Which CA? Surely not California, United States... we have 4 red stickers. Two of which are pretty big...

View attachment 323391

Here’s my right rear qtr panel. Not to mention there’s the other side and the front drivers side too.

View attachment 323392

Wow that’s ugly. If I lived in CA I wouldn’t bother and just deal with no HOV access or increased tolls or whatever else you’re not eligible for without that sticker.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
We used to have tax discs on the front windscreen of our cars in the UK. These were essentially showing that you had paid the annual vehicle licensing fee. Then someone with a brain said "but we already know their registration number anyway since they have to use that to license the car".

So now they simply did away with having discs of paper stuck to a window because they can just use a camera to read your numberplate and have all your licensing info, driver info and even your insurance info up on screen instantly. The police also use the same system to check for insurance and tax.

Surely it's not beyond the state of California, the state with Silicon Valley, to use some simple tech like that to also check which cars should be in the Express Lanes.

I may have a solution, and since I take delivery Friday, I FINALLY get to test it:

I bought "the Law" license plate bracket for my 3. They've made sure there's some clearance between the plate and the car, so I am going to try to mount the EZ-Pass behind the plate and see if it works (I have the exterior-mount Twinkie).

I've attached a pic of the setup. I plan on mounting the Twinkie below and behind the plate, which will require longer bolts. I'll report back if I have any issues with it reading.

LawUpdate4_1024x1024.png

Reactions: jsrawa
Yeah I also have the black twinkie. I don't plan to put a front plate on, but need to have a plate holder as a backup plan. "The Bandit" is the only plate holder I've seen that doesn't block cooling airflow, so I'm going to buy that one or a stonsho (so I will just leave it off and pretend I forgot to put it back on). Since I don't plan on putting on the plate holder on to start with, I can either do the "Hold out the window" method, try the "under the frunk" method, or even see if I can mount it somewhere on the dash... except that it is well the size of a twinkie! At least it is black. I am on HOV very little though, so I may just hold it out the window when needed.

Last edited:
I got the exterior transponder (black twinkie)but because I've heard people having trouble getting them to work in Tesla windshields. The exterior ones mount on the license plates, although I've heard people mounting them inside Model S nosecones with no issue. Could be a place to hide it for the 3 as well. Since I have the front plate mounted already with the stock mount, I just attached the twinkie to it. Here's a pic of it on my Model 3. It's the black rectangle on the bottom of the license plate. Not the greatest aesthetically, but the license plate already ruined things on the front....

upload_2018-8-6_9-41-28.png

I got the exterior transponder (black twinkie)but because I've heard people having trouble getting them to work in Tesla windshields. The exterior ones mount on the license plates, although I've heard people mounting them inside Model S nosecones with no issue. Could be a place to hide it for the 3 as well. Since I have the front plate mounted already with the stock mount, I just attached the twinkie to it. Here's a pic of it on my Model 3. It's the black rectangle on the bottom of the license plate. Not the greatest aesthetically, but the license plate already ruined things on the front....

View attachment 323414

Going by your sig, we are alike in our EZ Pass adventures. Tesla windshields in 2014 had a UV coating to them that interfered with radar detectors, EZ Pass, etc. So when I got the CPO S, I went with the twinkie after having a bunch of "non-reads" when going through booths.

I am getting my 3 wrapped, so I've specifically asked that my 3 NOT have the OEM license plate holder installed.

1. I don't want to deal with peeling the glue off before my PPF goes on.

2. If my EZPass twinkie can go behind and below the plate, it will be somewhat less ugly...but still pretty ugly.

stupid front plate cash-grab

:(

Going by your sig, we are alike in our EZ Pass adventures. Tesla windshields in 2014 had a UV coating to them that interfered with radar detectors, EZ Pass, etc. So when I got the CPO S, I went with the twinkie after having a bunch of "non-reads" when going through booths.

Yeah, I actually had interior transponders from MA. Was having trouble getting it to work in the Model S. I thought it was because I was leaving it on the dash. My exterior transponders are from NH (I had moved a while ago but just kept using the MA ones until I got the Teslas).

Reactions: ModelNforNerd