Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fails to Get My State Tags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They seem to feel that customers want the car so badly that they will put up with any treatment.

Yep, that's what it is. There's no real competition. If you want one of our cars, warts and all, shut up and get in line. You want expeditious service and parts? Get in line, and wait. Model 3 owners will be in for a rude awakening, the vast majority of them know nothing about any of the issues discussed on this board.

Fl dealerships can sign up with the Florida DMV to issue tags/registrations at the time of sale. I bought my Bolt a couple of months ago and drove away from the Chevy dealership with the tag installed and registration in hand.

Since Tesla isn't technically a "dealership" I'm not sure if they're allowed to do this. This is one of many very real benefits to the dealership franchise model that Tesla wants to avoid.
When I traded my tesla in at Orlando they were able to xffer the tags from old car to the new car

Tesla can definitely email you Temp Tags for you to put on yourself. Thats what they did for me here in NJ since the car was delivered to my house before the temp tags. The actual plates showed up from Tesla about a week later. This was all happening out of the Paramus, NJ service center
When I bought my first tesla the delivery was in Springfield nj and the had a temp tag on the car.

When I took delivery of my MS on Aug. 24 here in Florida I was told that I would receive my permanent registration within 2 weeks. It has now been 4 weeks and my temporary tags expired 9/22, 3 days ago. I have tried to call Tesla of Orlando several times and only get their voice mail. I have received NO return call yet. I had this same problem of no return phone calls before delivery but at delivery, they assured me there would be no similar problems in the future. Now my tags are expired and I can not get return phone calls to find out what is going on. Tesla has serious problems with communication with their customers. What can I do to get my tags?

Tesla told me that I had to pay all registration fees and sales tax up front at delivery and they HAD to get the registration/tags for me, that I could not get them myself.

I just called the national Customer Support line where I was told it would take up to 48 hours for them to research this and get back to me. WTF?
Contact your state Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) or Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). Stop screwing with Tesla. I don't go back to a car dealer after buying a car because I haven't received my license plates yet, I go to Arizona MVD and ask where the hell are my plates????

Reactions: RayW
Living in Florida, I disagree. We were not Puerto Rico. Our state did not shut down for the month it took for Tesla to secure my tags and get them for me. The Gen Mgr is supposed to call me as of yesterday. He has not called yet. One thing Tesla of Orlando has is excuses. I heard them prior to my delivery, between June and andAugust and I hear the same ones now - we are very busy, we are having a problem with our phones, we didn't get your message. I left a phone message with Delivery, Serice, and Sales hoping to reach a human; no such luck. I finally got a call from Orlando late yesterday, subsequent to my call to Tesla Hqtrs yesterday. After listening to more excuses - I don't know why we in Service were called but I'll get with Delivery when they are free and see what can be done. I finally got a call from Delivery who used the same excuses as above. They were busy but they will do what they have to to get my tags sometime in the indefinite future. I told them this was unacceptable, that I needed to drive my car now (3 days after the tags expired). He checked further and came back on the line saying they would send another temp. tag out and I would have it by 10:00 tomorrow (today). I said this was unacceptable - how was I supposed to drive to work tomorrow? After more behind the scene discussion, I was advised that there was a man who worked in Service who lived near me who would drop off a new temp. tag on his way home. He did drop it off several hours later.
Why do I have to put up with so much unconcern for customer satisfaction? Because they have what I want, there is nowhere nearer that I could go (they are about 60-70 miles away), and they are apparently unconcerned about their image. They seem to feel that customers want the car so badly that they will put up with any treatment.
I have my new temp tag now, and will see how long it takes to get my permanent plates. I can not get a toll sticker for the car until I get my permanent plate. I will wait.

Sadly I had this same experience in the year end rush in 2014 (in Tampa). Like you I eventually got to talk to a human at the SC and was promised a replacement temporary tag by mail in 2 days. To my pleasant surprise, what came instead (via FEDEX) were my plates ! Hope you have as much luck ...

Well, today I received a Fed Ex package with my new FL. tag. Seems like while they could not get my new tag to me until after my temp. tag expired, my complaining to the Gen. Mgr (who finally called me), the tag showed up. It is sad to have had to listen to all their excuses for not doing their job. Apparently, no one at Orlando Tesla has had the slightest managerial training in customer satisfaction or supervising employees. Nothing was their fault at Orlando Tesla, it was always someone else who dropped the ball. If only they had a human in Sales, Delivery, or Service who could answer phones a lot of grief could be avoided. They prefer to allow 100% of phone calls to go to voicemail where they are promptly deleted. They never admit having received the phone calls. Anway I now have arm wrestled the plate away from them.

Did Tesla not even file the paperwork until you started calling? Because the DMV is slow on a great day and tags take 2 weeks or so; considering Florida's problems as of late they were probably slower. It seems amazing to me if they had never filed the paperwork until after you called Tesla, for the DMV to somehow get the tags done and mailed to you in under 1 week! In other words, hostility towards Tesla here seems inappropriate. The General Manager of any non-state-government store is not going to be able to force DMV employees to do their jobs. If Tesla was negligent, you'd likely still be waiting. Especially with the backlog from an evacuated and stagnant state entity still catching up with all those tag requests that were already filed before the evacuation.

Tesla's handling of calls and emails is *always* worth some hostility though. Communication is definitely not great, and is more on par with software developer startups than luxury retail.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Did Tesla not even file the paperwork until you started calling? Because the DMV is slow on a great day and tags take 2 weeks or so; considering Florida's problems as of late they were probably slower.
based on what did you come to this conclusion? FLA was up and running (excepting the keys)almost immediately after the storm, I've never experienced any slow service from them.

I'm sure they were up and running immediately AFTER the storm, that doesn't mean they worked though it or had zero down time, so you were either slowed by recent news or you had the fastest post-storm DMV response in FL history.

How many license plates has the state delivered to you in less than a week? It's been a while since I was in Florida but in my time there they were like every other DMV I've also experienced, and at that time were definitely not the fastest DMV in the nation but I'm willing to accept that they might be as of this week if otheres are getting their plates in 4 days as well. If so, that is an astounding turnaround, not just in mail time but in the physical mechanical creation of the plates and always-slow bureaucratic paper trails that have to happen first as well!

Have any other new Tesla (or non, the DMV doesn't care) owners her seen sub-1-week plates issued this month? Post your positive experiences!

I'm sure they were up and running immediately AFTER the storm, that doesn't mean they worked though it or had zero down time, so you were either slowed by recent news or you had the fastest post-storm DMV response in FL history.

How many license plates has the state delivered to you in less than a week? It's been a while since I was in Florida but in my time there they were like every other DMV I've also experienced, and at that time were definitely not the fastest DMV in the nation but I'm willing to accept that they might be as of this week if otheres are getting their plates in 4 days as well. If so, that is an astounding turnaround, not just in mail time but in the physical mechanical creation of the plates and always-slow bureaucratic paper trails that have to happen first as well!

Have any other new Tesla (or non, the DMV doesn't care) owners her seen sub-1-week plates issued this month? Post your positive experiences!
that's some diatribe, I'd be willing to bet that the tags where in the mail before the op's temp ran out and his service center is just a bit on the clueless side. as for dmv services I cannot comment on what happens in his part of the state but where I am the services are delivered in proper fashion.

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
I'm curious about that too. It's been a little over 2 weeks now since I received my temporary registration here in PA and I'm still waiting. How long does the process usually take?

you get 90 days on the temp tags. I got what I needed to go to PennDOT after about 30.
Be prepared to spend some time convincing the super genius at PennDOT what type of car it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: futurem3owner
It took me about 3 weeks to receive tags from Tesla. I took delivery of the car on September 1st and received tag on September 28th. This was all in the middle of Hurricane Irma.

I was able to periodically check if the vehicle was titled or not and estimate shipping time by checking the site below. Once I saw car was marked as titled I received tag in mail two days later. Note site only applies to Florida.

Although I picked up car from Tesla in Orlando the tags came from Dania Beach (Tesla Motors DMV Team) which I assume handle this process.

https://services.flhsmv.gov/mvcheckweb/

Maybe it's different in FL than most other states, but the tags are usually sent from the DMV. Tesla's only involvement is sending a form and money (electronically on the day you drive away, I would assume) then the matter becomes the responsibility of the notoriously inefficient civil servants at the DMV (my apologies to any efficient civil servants who may be offended).

Cleveland, Ohio

I think I'm beating most of you. Purchased my car on August 8th and had to resign the forms in early September (after trying to contact Tesla twice about this) because my temps were about to expire and the local rep blamed Fremont for losing the paper work. My local delivery rep stated that my registration would come soon and not to worry as there is a "30 grace period with no penalty" if your temps expire.

Get pulled over on September 30th for expired plates but the officer let me go after I informed him of how crappy my experience has been and he just told me to get new temp tags. Purchase new temp tags out of pocket and now over 2 months later I still don't have any clue when the registration will arrive.

This is on top of me telling the delivery rep that they messed up my first deliver where I had to purchase 2 temp plates and 3 sets of license plated because they messed up the transfer of my old plates, ordered new basic plates, then had to order another set of "local decal" plates. This was an out of pocket expense of around $300 and they assured that the delivery of this second car would be great...

Who at the national level can I contact?