Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finalized today or tomorrow (by 11/24) - last minute fears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I'm in Minnesota and ordered this Tesla:

Model S 60D
All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint
Sunroof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Figured Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
Black Alcantara Headliner
Supercharger Enabled
Enhanced Autopilot
Premium Upgrades Package
Subzero Weather Package

Anything you'd recommend I think twice about?

In the same boat - but set to auto confirm this Saturday.

Opted for the pana-roof instead of the sunroof - I plan on keeping the car for 8+ years and view the sunroof as one extra thing to break. Also as a tall dude wanted the extra head space (which I assume?) the pana-glass roof will offer.

Was on the fence about the FSD option - eventually went with it. Would rather pay the $3k now and save the $1k from paying the $4k later. High mileage driver here too so FSD is very attractive to me!

Also though seriously about the HF Audio Option but based on the poor reviews online decided it would be wiser to spend the coin on an aftermarket option (considering the Light Harmonic base-audio package $999).

Reactions: Karen in MN
Thank, Houstonian. I have dogs - one of whom (a German Shepherd) really loves sunroofs, so he talked me into that one! He's very handsome sticking his head out periscopically when I run my errands (when I'm parked!). He good vibes everybody by smiling and panting at them.) I do wish it had a cover as I frequently keep my current one covered up for heating/cooling when it's not in use. That pano is pretty cool though.

I cannot wait for FSD, and was very torn about this. My thinking was that it might not be for many years due to regulations. My state has no legislation in place. I'm also wondering if I might want to trade in once FSD is around as if it's a few years down the road, there may be some significant hardware changes. I'd be open to other compelling arguments though!

My sales advisor, PJ, had me listen to both audio options. It seemed to me like the biggest difference was on bass. Like you, I'm thinking if I don't like it I'll just do aftermarket.

One think I'm really wondering about is wheels - I haven't checked into them at all. I do know when I put an upgraded Michelin tire on my Camry hybrid, I couldn't believe the driving difference.

Thanks for the input!

I'd take away the premium upgrades and add the air suspension, these cars scrape at even the slightest incline/decline-or keep both if you can afford it. I get the whole maintenance thing but from every owner I've spoken to, no one regrets their air suspension but many regret not having it each time they bottom out. ($.02)

The reason I didn't get this is that I don't remember hardly ever bottoming out a car in recent years. I do have a cabin driveway that has some steepness to it, but I am fine in the Camry if I take it slowly. And it sounds like something that could be expensive if it breaks down. But I will read up more on it. Thanks, Watts Son.

Reactions: e-FTW
I originally wanted the Figured Ash Wood Décor...until I saw it actually on a couple of Teslas. At least on the cars that I saw it on, it looked, to me, like cheap dull contact paper. I personally prefer a gloss trim finish against all of the dull material surrounding it.

Regarding the FSD, I ordered the outrageously priced enhanced autopilot, but figure that by the time it's deployed in any meaningful way, the hardware in the car will not be up to the task. And I'd rather save $3K now to risk $1K in the unforeseeable future.

Still, before full SD, Tesla may add useful SD-like features only to owners with the FSD option. EA-only drivers will lose out. These will be marketing decisions, since all Tesla's of the current vintage have the same hardware.

For Tesla, it will be a balance between unhappy EA owners who complain that they should have the new feature vs FSD owners who complain that they're not getting anything extra for their money.

Starving EA-only owners of new features could also be a way for Tesla to up-sell EA owners to add the FSD option... even before it's really Full SD.

I'm also in Minnesota, and I just ordered. I didn't get the Premium package, nor the SubZero package. I do mostly city driving in Minneapolis, and plan on pre-heating the car before getting in. So the SubZero would only benefit rear seat passengers with the heated seats. I rarely have rear passengers.
For the PUP, that's just a matter of choice.

The reason I didn't get this is that I don't remember hardly ever bottoming out a car in recent years. I do have a cabin driveway that has some steepness to it, but I am fine in the Camry if I take it slowly. And it sounds like something that could be expensive if it breaks down. But I will read up more on it. Thanks, Watts Son.
I've had my MS60 since 2013 and now have a 90D coming next month. Been super happy with the air suspension, especially the first time it said "raising suspension due to location" since it figured out I had been raising the suspension when I got on the ferry.

I got the glass roof and tan seats, no weather package but otherwise about the same as you.

I think the air suspension is one of those things you say "Doh!" about every time you scrape and don't have it. Yes, it better be under warranty if it breaks though. I went back and forth on this and added it last minute after speaking to yet another owner advising as Brian has. The sales guy brought one to our house with coils and 21 inch wheels. It BARELY cleared driving in at an angle and he reminded us that kids etc. in back might lower it even more. No other car we owned scraped our driveway-C series MB, Audi A6, Minivans...I think this car is particularly rigid and long (don't go there !) . I recommend, of you can, getting one to your driveway for test.

Thank, Houstonian. I have dogs - one of whom (a German Shepherd) really loves sunroofs, so he talked me into that one!
Dogs are great! :)

Was perusing accessories and ran across this for ~$55 at evannex. Don't have dogs myself, but seems like a useful thing to put down to protect the back area in general.

IMG_7862_048ff914-f704-4892-9e3a-6bb644c728d0_large.JPG

I cannot wait for FSD, and was very torn about this. My thinking was that it might not be for many years due to regulations. My state has no legislation in place. I'm also wondering if I might want to trade in once FSD is around as if it's a few years down the road, there may be some significant hardware changes. I'd be open to other compelling arguments though!
Regarding the FSD, I ordered the outrageously priced enhanced autopilot, but figure that by the time it's deployed in any meaningful way, the hardware in the car will not be up to the task. And I'd rather save $3K now to risk $1K in the unforeseeable future.

Still, before full SD, Tesla may add useful SD-like features only to owners with the FSD option. EA-only drivers will lose out. These will be marketing decisions, since all Tesla's of the current vintage have the same hardware.

Well said.

The allure of self-driving was enough to compel me to jump on it. In addition to a massive amount of driving around Houston, I've got family in southern Colorado and the thought of the current 1.0 auto-pilot to handle the freeway driving is great. Couple that with FSD eventually and what I guess will be the incremental updates to EAP (e.g. EAP will start to creep beyond AP 1.0 in capability before Tesla turns on FSD), and I decided to take the plunge.

Betting the $3k incremental improvement over EAP - whether or not FSD ever gets launched - will be worth it...fingers crossed on that one.

One think I'm really wondering about is wheels - I haven't checked into them at all. I do know when I put an upgraded Michelin tire on my Camry hybrid, I couldn't believe the driving difference.
Have you seen the pizza covers for wheels?

Thanks you guys! So for this moment in time, I've dumped PUP & subzero, and added suspension. Subzero I was thinking would be nice when blades ice up, but with a better heater in car I may not even have that issue.

PUP - I am going to be annoyed if an $85k car doesn't have a great quality fit and finish + I loved the change in leather on the car doors + the dynamic turning lights for better vision. But $3k is a lot of money, so dropped for now.

Yes, Houstonian, I'm going to have to figure something out on interior protection for dogs. Storm also gets excited when he's in the car and he thinks I might be about to let him out and starts batting at the door*, so I have all these scrape marks around windows in Camry. And that sueded roof will be covered with dog hair in no time. What can you do?

Haxter - it would be nice if they would offer greater clarity on various features, in particular a better delineation between EAP & FSD. I read it as any benefits of FSD will give FSD, anything else should be part of EAP.

(*Storm learned to open the levered doors in our house when trying to escape from getting eye drops, so lovely massive claw marks all down many doors and frames.)

In the same boat - but set to auto confirm this Saturday.

Opted for the pana-roof instead of the sunroof - I plan on keeping the car for 8+ years and view the sunroof as one extra thing to break. Also as a tall dude wanted the extra head space (which I assume?) the pana-glass roof will offer.

Was on the fence about the FSD option - eventually went with it. Would rather pay the $3k now and save the $1k from paying the $4k later. High mileage driver here too so FSD is very attractive to me!

Also though seriously about the HF Audio Option but based on the poor reviews online decided it would be wiser to spend the coin on an aftermarket option (considering the Light Harmonic base-audio package $999).

I'd recommend for the HF Audio Option. Light Harmonic has had issues delivering plus the stock is excellent if you properly set the equalizer to around -4, 4, -2.

Karen,

I really liked your original configuration. Always go with your first instinct.

For me, the sub zero package is worth it for the heated steering wheel alone. I used heated gloves that plug into the 12 V outlet in my Volt for several winters. The Heated wheel is an absolute must for me, and my wife and both really enjoy the one in our S. It could be different for someone that always preheats their car and doesn't drive long distance in winter.

PUP includes the power liftgate, and I also enjoy the premium look and feel of the interior.

The spring suspension is just fine. I think it is a little higher than the air suspension on standard. You can alway go slow and attack driveways at an angle in extreme situations. People who have springs love them, just like the air suspension owners love theirs, and springs are lower maintence.

Good Luck with your decisions.

GSP

What @GSP said.

I have coils, and considered getting air because I live in San Francisco. And well, if you know anything about San Francisco, you know the hills are nuts.
In the end, I opted out of it, as the only spot where it would come in handy was to avoid light rubbing in the middle of the car when coming up and in to my garage with passengers in the back. I ghetto hacked that problem with some thick rubber mats that raise the front wheels just enough to avoid my OCD kicking in ("Oh no, the perfect finish on the underside of the car is not perfect anymore!").
Long story short: get a car to try out all the problem spots. I realized that even the steepest hills around here are not a problem, as long as I take it easy at the bottom. I think I may have scraped once, very lightly.
Devil's advocate: if you get stuck in the snow, air suspension (if not already up) may help you get out by raising the car a touch.

And personally, I would get cold-weather in your neck of the woods. It allows folks to cut down on heating by using seat warmers and heated steering wheel.

Enjoy this ride! It is fun isn't it?

Hi all. I'm in Minnesota and ordered this Tesla:

Model S 60D
All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint
Sunroof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Figured Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
Black Alcantara Headliner
Supercharger Enabled
Enhanced Autopilot
Premium Upgrades Package
Subzero Weather Package

Anything you'd recommend I think twice about?

Sounds PERFECT. Go for it. You will not regret it. Oops, make sure you get the PUP for the Auto Liftgate.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys! So for this moment in time, I've dumped PUP & subzero, and added suspension. Subzero I was thinking would be nice when blades ice up, but with a better heater in car I may not even have that issue.

PUP - I am going to be annoyed if an $85k car doesn't have a great quality fit and finish + I loved the change in leather on the car doors + the dynamic turning lights for better vision. But $3k is a lot of money, so dropped for now.

Yes, Houstonian, I'm going to have to figure something out on interior protection for dogs. Storm also gets excited when he's in the car and he thinks I might be about to let him out and starts batting at the door*, so I have all these scrape marks around windows in Camry. And that sueded roof will be covered with dog hair in no time. What can you do?

Haxter - it would be nice if they would offer greater clarity on various features, in particular a better delineation between EAP & FSD. I read it as any benefits of FSD will give FSD, anything else should be part of EAP.

(*Storm learned to open the levered doors in our house when trying to escape from getting eye drops, so lovely massive claw marks all down many doors and frames.)

Karen, Did I understand correctly? You dropped the Premium Upgrade Package? I think you will regret this action. If nothing else, its most important for the Auto liftgate. Everyone I have talked to or read about regretted not getting the Auto liftgate (settleing for manual liftgate). Its heavy, its annoying. Its not priced separately from the PUP, but if necessary to buy the PUP to get the Auto liftgate, its worth the $3,000 just to get the Auto liftgate.

OK, well if you don't need the enhanced suspension in SF, I don't need it here. Gone.

If power lift will help me re-sell, plus I really like soft leather on doors + cornering headlights - back on.

Keeping winter package off when Steve's remarks helped me realize that front seats are heated anyway! That toasty steering wheel is nice, but not really worth $1k to me.

Thanks for all the remarks, even the ones I vacillated on! Better now than later!

Since you can schedule the start time for your charge each night. And over time you will learn how long it takes to charge with each different remaining range left at your end of day, you can configure you start charging time so it ends charging closest to your morning departure time. And if you end charging close to your departure time, you have basically warmed your battery just before you unplug and depart. That will reduce the battery/range loss just warming the battery by itself. Make sense?

Pleased that you are adding PUP back to get Auto Liftgate. Yes, it will help the resale versus not having it.