Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finalized today or tomorrow (by 11/24) - last minute fears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karen, and Steve, I'm another Minnesotan here.
First, congrats to you both:)

I had a Sig 85 without the winter package (as there was no such thing at the time).
I traded in for a 70D, with the winter package. I would NEVER buy a car without a heated steering wheel now. It is absolutely fantastic.

The preheating is very nice, but the steering wheel gets cold quickly and preheating isn't always an option for most.

My Sig had the air suspension, my 70D has springs. I haven't bottomed out with it yet, and it is one less thing to go wrong. I'm quite happy without the air suspension.

Yet one more Minnesotan. But I missed Karen's deadline. Yikes!

In the end your car will be awesome no matter how you option it out. You've gotta just decide what is best for you.

I personally went with subzero package for the heated steering wheel but more importantly for heated wiper blades and washer nozzles

One of the worst parts of winter for me is when the washer fluid is frozen in the nozzle and I can't spray it, and when my wiper blades gunk up with ice chunks smearing my windshield. I'm hoping that the subzero will help with this because frozen wipers and a smeared windshield are dangerous

But I have to park outside for work. If you have work garage it's a lesser issue.

The most important "option" I got are winter tires from Discount Tire.

Hi all. I'm in Minnesota and ordered this Tesla:

Model S 60D
All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint
Sunroof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Figured Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
Black Alcantara Headliner
Supercharger Enabled
Enhanced Autopilot
Premium Upgrades Package
Subzero Weather Package

Anything you'd recommend I think twice about?

Cool! Similar to mine(took delivery early July). I didn't choose AWD, Premium Upgrades or Subzero tho. Red is mental btw...a show stopper!

I am happy with my 60D for now. I just couldn't justify adding a few more miles for so much more money. It is my expectation (hope?) that the battery price will come down with time. Right now, most of my driving is around the Twin Cities so 60D will be fine. For my cabin (NE of Duluth by 40 miles), I will probably take the Sequoia most times anyway as we have 2 dogs, 3 cats and two semi-adult kids + all paraphernalia. In a couple of years we'll be smaller and can reassess the situation with the level of self-driving availability, battery & charging availability/speed, etc. (I do love a good road trip, and could see loving driving the S on one, but I almost never take them anymore with HS son's schedule. And right now, for our current lives, paying twice as much base price for 100 more miles doesn't seem smart.)

@JRMW I don't leave my car outside much, but man - I did love that heated steering wheel! JP showed it to me, and it was SO cozy.

I will have to investigate more about what to do about tires in the winter.

Thank you, again, for all your thoughts.

Last edited:
Discount Tires isn't bad. (I've used Bloomington store)
They have Nokia Hakka and Michelin Ice

If you buy wheels and tires together they will swap out the wheels every Spring and Fall for free for life of the Tires

Much cheaper than Tesla winter tires/wheels.
More importantly the Tesla winter tires are not good
Hakka and Ice are great

I've done this with my AWD Infiniti and Lexus and been very happy

Reactions: e-FTW