Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced to open superchargers to unlock billions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. Santa Rosa does require one to back out. It isn't pull through so its a spatial challenge when pulling a trailer.

Ogallala, NE is great for that. It has a row of back-in Superchargers but paved roadway going behind them all. Not trailer pullers can back in normally, but trailer pullers can drive through behind and use any pedestal that is free!

I've noticed some new SC wont work like this. In some installs I've started to see them install plexi in the SC hole so the cable would have to ho out and around the SC and thus not have enough length to reach the back where you're officially not supposed to be plugged in.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I've noticed some new SC wont work like this. In some installs I've started to see them install plexi in the SC hole so the cable would have to ho out and around the SC and thus not have enough length to reach the back where you're officially not supposed to be plugged in.
Interesting. I haven't seen any of these yet. Of course, I haven't done a road trip for a while. Where would some of those be?

Interesting. I haven't seen any of these yet. Of course, I haven't done a road trip for a while. Where would some of those be?

The new Lakewood, CA one that was put in a few weeks ago had this if I recall correctly.

One side is regular parking and the other side is SC parking. They don't want a Tesla parking in regular spot on other side and causing issues with Tesla owner trying to park in official spot with charger being using in wrong place.

This could be a request of Tesla, the city, or landlord. Who knows.

The new Lakewood, CA one that was put in a few weeks ago had this if I recall correctly.

One side is regular parking and the other side is SC parking. They don't want a Tesla parking in regular spot on other side and causing issues with Tesla owner trying to park in official spot with charger being using in wrong place.

This could be a request of Tesla, the city, or landlord. Who knows.
Makes sense. Land is a lot cheaper in Ogallala than Lakewood. They need those spaces behind the Superchargers for other parking in Lakewood. Not so much in Ogallala.

Well we now know how Tesla plans to meet the NEVI 150kW minimum output requirement with V3 chargers:

They have three different options depending on the site:
  • Add additional charging cabinets (More than 1 cabinet per 4 posts.)
  • Install fewer charging posts
  • Apply software limits to ensure that the NEVI funded posts can always get 150kW
And we can see one of their first plans for how to do this at the Las Vegas, NM V2 Supercharge that they are going to upgrade and make it a NEVI site:

They will:
  • Keep the existing utility infrastructure which provides the site with 774kW of power
  • Rip out the existing 6 post V2 Supercharger installation.
  • Install a new site with V3 chargers and 8 V4 posts.
  • 5 posts will be NEVI funded while 3 posts will not be NEVI funded
That means if you plug into one of the non-NEVI posts, when the site is empty, you will get up to 250kW. But if 5 other cars arrive and plug in to the NEVI posts and need to charge at 150kW or more, you will get dropped down to 24kW. Another 2 cars arrive and connect to the non-NEVI posts, and all three of them are now at 8kW. The first car on the NEVI posts departs, the non-NEVI ports jump to 58kW each, but then another car arrives and plugs into the vacant NEVI port, so the non-NEVI ports drop back down to 8kW each.

Yes, that is probably a very rare situation, especially with the current vehicles on the road, but I think it will become more common over time.

It will be interesting to see how, if, they label the NEVI funded posts.

It appears that they are doing this at all of the New Mexico sites, with each having some non-NEVI funded posts:
1710698345404.png

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how, if, they label the NEVI funded posts.

It appears that they are doing this at all of the New Mexico sites, with each having ssuome non-NEVI funded posts:
1710698345404.png
These sites are a terrible waste of federal money. Those places are already well covered with Superchargers and CCS. Personally, I think this money should go to places along US 60 or US 180 in the west end of NM, maybe Apache Creek or Quemado, or Pie Town (how can you not like that place), where there are complete charging vacuums.

These sites are a terrible waste of federal money. Those places are already well covered with Superchargers and CCS.
Well covered with CCS? That can't be, as there can't be another NEVI compliant station within ~50 miles. So that means that there isn't a site with 4 CCS chargers that can output 150kW on all four at the same time nearby.

The point of upgrading the Superchargers is to make them NEVI compliant, as they aren't currently, and open them to all compatible EVs.

I think this money should go to places along US 60 or US 180 in the west end of NM, maybe Apache Creek or Quemado, or Pie Town (how can you not like that place), where there are complete charging vacuums.
Are those locations along the federally designated highways?

Has Tesla received a DIME of federal money as of today?
I don't think so, at least not NEVI funding. I think the first NEVI funded Supercharger, in Maine, hasn't gone live yet. (The opening of most of the network to Ford and Rivian has nothing to do with government funds.)

They may have received some special funding for the MagicDock retrofits, but I have never seen any details on what the agreement between the Whitehouse and Tesla was on opening the ~3,500 Superchargers to all CCS vehicles.

Well covered with CCS? That can't be, as there can't be another NEVI compliant station within ~50 miles. So that means that there isn't a site with 4 CCS chargers that can output 150kW on all four at the same time nearby.

The point of upgrading the Superchargers is to make them NEVI compliant, as they aren't currently, and open them to all compatible EVs.

Not on the REV West map from 2021. For New Mexico it was the Interstates and some other highways to the east of I-25.
I

1710867057400.png

In the Deployment Plan linked from the New Mexico DOT NEVI site, survey results suggest lower priority for those as well.
The priority would be the Interstates,, US-70 and Northwest of I-40/I-25.

Figure 5: Survey Heatmap of Priority Corridors from Public Survey
1710867293662.png

I guess your key point is about NEVI compliance. I guess that's fair.
I suppose NEVI and I probably aren't fully aligned with the priorities. The areas they are going in probably still is quite poor for CCS. It is, IMHO, ok currently, for Superchargers though. I'd also rather see a few more remote areas covered before we finish with 50 mile spacing on the major corridors.
That is just my preference though. I'm probably in the minority as usual.

Reactions: Rocky_H