Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced to open superchargers to unlock billions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt most non Teslas will use this unless it’s a fire situation. I don’t plan on using it unless EA is dead and that cord would have made it not sure why they did it the way they did.
This will mean CCS owners can now be like Tesla owners. "I'll TRY that CCS charger and if it fails or is full, I'll run to the Supercharger as I know it will always work"

Started a thread on using the Superchargers on CCS vehicles now that they are open in the US to try:

What's the life expectancy of the equipment? At some point, it will become cheaper to just replace all of it instead of making repairs.
That would be the time to rebuild a site. Which will probably require a complete tear out and rebuild. (Even the buried conduit will likely need to be replaced, unless they design retrofit hardware for the sites, as V3 has 4 stalls per cabinet vs. the 2 stalls per cabinet for V2. Even with retrofit hardware they will need larger wires between the cabinet and stall, and the buried conduit might not be big enough to support that.)

What's the life expectancy of the equipment? At some point, it will become cheaper to just replace all of it instead of making repairs.
With the modular electronics it's probably not a lifetime issue, they can just keep bringing new charge cords and new charging modules forever. At some point it might not be cost effective to redesign the parts, make more efficient more modern electronics and continue to support established stations. The cabinets should last decades, perhaps it will come down to property owners not renewing the contract for a site for whatever reason.

Eventually these things should be everywhere, 50 miles between chargers is for the birds

Reactions: buckets0fun
Only Tesla knows. My guess is that they won't be retrofit or upgraded. It would be better to just build a new V3, or V4, site nearby.
Simply situation would be to replace one or two pedestals with ones that also do CCS with those locking adapters. I assume it's not difficult to make one of those work with the older SC cabinets.

Maybe retrofit that one pedestal that's usually off to the side? I think the other point is that if a SC is busy with Teslas, it would be difficult for a car to fit in there and make the short cable reach if there's only one parking spot open and the car does not have a Tesla-equivalent plug location. Might work with those ones where the plug is in the midle front, but that's Leaf Chdaemo not CCS?

Seems like each time they open a new SC they seem to switch between back in and front in.

I've always wondered how they choose each. Given where they are located it's not always the logical choice for what they installed. I will say the front in has the ability to do angled or straight in; while obviously the back in is really only intended for straight in.

I will say I prefer the front in vs back in.

Look at the Bandon Oregon SC site. Eight chargers, four pull-through lanes with two charging stations next to each lane. Seaside Oregon SC is similar.
That layout looks easy and versatile for most charge port access

Attachments

• A5A6A481-DE02-4CF5-BE59-FCC79A87E91A.jpeg
    A5A6A481-DE02-4CF5-BE59-FCC79A87E91A.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 64
Only thing I prefer is if the chargers are in a row on one way direction. That way everyone can just cue up for the next open charger. I rarely see these though.

Example below. Chargers on one continuous single direction of travel in and out. Hard to see but there is (faded) directional arrow in photo. Stalls are also at angle to further prevent coming in wrong direction as well as make it easier to pull in stead of hard right in a narrow lane.

o.jpg

Only thing I prefer is if the chargers are in a row on one way direction. That way everyone can just cue up for the next open charger. I rarely see these though.

Example below. Chargers on one continuous single direction of travel in and out. Hard to see but there is (faded) directional arrow in photo. Stalls are also at angle to further prevent coming in wrong direction as well as make it easier to pull in stead of hard right in a narrow lane.

View attachment 928419
This is similar to the Santa Rosa, NM Supercharger which is at a hotel (except it is a V2 Supercharger that is quite useful while traveling, not a slow Urban Supercharger). The is the arrangement where one drives head-in to the stall with the Supercharger pedestal at the entry to the parking space so the Supercharger is at the back of the car. It has 2 major benefits:
1) A vehicle can pull in with a trailer without having to unhitch. The trailer sits out in the road but there is room to drive around behind albeit only one lane.

1018764.jpg

2) Being in a hotel parking lot without enough charging, it gets ICED by overnight guests at the hotel. However! One can pull a Tesla up behind the cars ICING the parking spaces and still be able to charge when you arrive late at night or early in the morning when all spaces are filled with ICErs and the Hotel refuses to wake up the ICErs and make them move.
EV despite ICEing!

This is similar to the Santa Rosa, NM Supercharger which is at a hotel (except it is a V2 Supercharger that is quite useful while traveling, not a slow Urban Supercharger). The is the arrangement where one drives head-in to the stall with the Supercharger pedestal at the entry to the parking space so the Supercharger is at the back of the car. It has 2 major benefits:
1) A vehicle can pull in with a trailer without having to unhitch. The trailer sits out in the road but there is room to drive around behind albeit only one lane.

2) Being in a hotel parking lot without enough charging, it gets ICED by overnight guests at the hotel. However! One can pull a Tesla up behind the cars ICING the parking spaces and still be able to charge when you arrive late at night or early in the morning when all spaces are filled with ICErs and the Hotel refuses to wake up the ICErs and make them move.
EV despite ICEing!

I can see the point here for drive though. As long as it's setup so that the drive though only has the charger on one side so the trailer doesn't block any SC on the drive through.

I think point among posters is there are better ways to put the chargers in so that everyone benefits without setting on use by anyone else.

I can see the point here for drive though. As long as it's setup so that the drive though only has the charger on one side so the trailer doesn't block any SC on the drive through.

I think point among posters is there are better ways to put the chargers in so that everyone benefits without setting on use by anyone else.
Good point. Santa Rosa does require one to back out. It isn't pull through so its a spatial challenge when pulling a trailer.

Ogallala, NE is great for that. It has a row of back-in Superchargers but paved roadway going behind them all. Not trailer pullers can back in normally, but trailer pullers can drive through behind and use any pedestal that is free!
768135.jpg