Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fremont Factory is shutting down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Alameda county is not considering the factory an essential business anymore but can maintain minimum basic operations per the Alameda County Health Order.

Tesla Factory To Close After Disputed 'Essential Business' Claim Amid Coronavirus Shelter Order

Tweet from Alameda County Sheriff: Alameda County Sheriff on Twitter

The title "Shutting Down" is an order but the question is would that order be obeyed?

Tesla claims the Department of Homeland Security considers Tesla as “National Critical Infrastructure” so it is “essential business".

There are 2 sides to the story: So, is it shutting down or is it not?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JøhP and vickh
The title "Shutting Down" is an order but the question is would that order be obeyed?

Tesla is “National Critical Infrastructure” according to the Department of Homeland Security so it is “essential business".

The story you reference says that Tesla's HR director argued that Tesla is an essential business. Homeland Security is not involved as far as I have read.

What about the 10,000 people that work there and all their families? Tesla will do fine with a few week hiatus. Investors can't fault Tesla for that.

...What about the 10,000 people that work there and all their families?...

According to e-mail to employees, Elon Musk thinks the world is exaggerating the Covid-19 threat:

"My best guess, for what it is worth, based on the latest Center for Disease Control data, is that confirmed COVID-19 (this specific form of the common cold) cases will not exceed 0.1% of the US population. Moreover, I do not think, when we look back on 2020, that the causes of death or serious injury will have changed much from 2017, for example: (CDC statistic)"

Not him alone, many college students also think the threat is too small to cancel the classes and graduation ceremonies.

According to e-mail to employees, Elon Musk thinks the world is exaggerating the Covid-19 threat:

"My best guess, for what it is worth, based on the latest Center for Disease Control data, is that confirmed COVID-19 (this specific form of the common cold) cases will not exceed 0.1% of the US population. Moreover, I do not think, when we look back on 2020, that the causes of death or serious injury will have changed much from 2017, for example: (CDC statistic)"

Not him alone, many college students also think the threat is too small to cancel the classes and graduation ceremonies.

he MIGHT be right:

Elon Musk thinks this drug may help treat coronavirus - Latest News | Gadgets Now

• Informative
Reactions: JøhP and Evoforce

Tesla claims the Department of Homeland Security considers Tesla as “National Critical Infrastructure” so it is “essential business".

Agree, Elon defied a Judge's court order in Nevada...this is much easier to defy in my opinion.

Reactions: vickh

Please take this one seriously. We messed up early on and took the same position as the post above. That is no longer true. Mobile hospitals are being set up as we speak. Doctors were given permission to treat over the phone that we in the US never gave them before. Expect to “shelter in place” for 30 days and pray that your local health care professionals do not get sick. We expect upto 2 million deaths from this Virus this year and a Devastated economy.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and DOCAL
Please do some research before posting something like this. We don't "expect" 2 million deaths. That is being projected as the worst case scenario if no action was taken by the government and our population to slow it.

White House Takes New Line After Dire Report on Death Toll
3 charts that helped change coronavirus policy in the UK and US
Thank you. True this is a worst case projection. 500,000 is what is currently projected assuming the health care system holds.
Under previous models 50% absenteeism is expected due to illness and fear among NA, LVN, LPN - the folks who will man the front lines. prepare for the worst and tighten the belt. prayers for us all.

Please do some research before posting something like this. We don't "expect" 2 million deaths. That is being projected as the worst case scenario if no action was taken by the government and our population to slow it.

White House Takes New Line After Dire Report on Death Toll
3 charts that helped change coronavirus policy in the UK and US

This chart, with critical bed capacity reached by May 1st and peak in US around June 1st to July 1st is quite worrisome:
16virus-projections-03-jumbo.png

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Status
Not open for further replies.