Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Gas Savings" estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always thought the the Tesla 'Gas Savings" has been a gimmick and wonder why they even subtract it when configure a car. I know I might save some money but was more concerned about emissions.

The fact is that gas costs far less than $2.85 where we live. Like a $1.80 or less. Comparable ICE Sedans get between 30-38 mpg not 21 mpg. And kWh costs nearly $.15 not $.12. There just is too much variation in these costs depending on where one lives. Today in order to come up with the $5,500-$8,200 number you are talking about 250000-300000 miles not 60000-75000 miles over 6 years using numbers in our area.

Now I got free supercharging when I bought which would be great if the nearest supercharger wasn't 80 miles away :).

Thoughts?

M

Tesla Statement:

"Electric vehicles are less expensive to fuel than gasoline powered vehicles. The average person drives between 10,000 and 15,000 miles and spends between $1,300 and $1,900 on gasoline per year. In comparison, the cost of electricity to power Model S over the same distance is up to four times lower. Over the six year average length of car ownership, that's between $5,500 and $8,200 in gasoline savings.

We've assumed a fuel economy of 21 miles per gallon for a comparable gasoline powered premium sedan. We've also assumed the national average of $0.13 per kilowatt-hour for electricity, 10% charging on Tesla’s Supercharger network and $2.85 per gallon for premium gasoline over the next six years."

Reactions: AMPd
g. And kWh costs nearly $.15 not $.12.

Consider yourself lucky. Peak usage here (12-8pm M-F) I pay $.3798/kWh and $.1675/kWh off-peak.

. Comparable ICE Sedans get between 30-38 mpg not 21 mp

What comparable ICE sedans are you using? BMW 5-series get 25/33 mpg and MB E-class gets 23/30 mpg.

The BMW M/ MB AMG versions of those cars get even lower MPG - the 2020 M5 is 15/21 and 2020 AMG E63 gets 15/23 mpg. Given the performance of the 2020 non-Performance Model S 0-60 is 3.7s, and the 2020 BMW M5 is 3.6s, these BMW M/ MB AMG ICE versions are the closest comps in terms of MPG.

the fact is that gas costs far less than $2.85 where we live. Like a $1.80 or less.

That's regular fuel, not Premium. Maybe you know a secret place to buy gas, but according to Gasbuddy.com, the range of prices for Premium gas I can find in Destin, FL is $2.46 to $3.19. Link Looks like Tesla's 'average' of $2.85 is spot-on.

upload_2020-10-14_8-15-43.png

I use to buy at Sam's Club. Good point if you compare Premium as the last I seen was 2.20 and I get back 5% on my club card. Another good point is I was looking at luxury sedan highway mileage, not combined. If you compare performance then the mileage goes down.

Good points, thank you for the reply...

M

I agree that the gas savings part is a bit gimmicky but you can easily ignore it and just focus on the purchase price, especially if your circumstances don’t match the criteria they use for the gas savings calculation.

I also think the mandatory $1,200 destination & doc fee should be included in the "purchase price" as while the base price of a Model S is $71,990, the actual retail price (before options) is $73,190.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
California here so gas/tax/fees is on the high end as well as the electricity cost. While the EV still produces overall savings the increased registration fees on the electric vehicle further reduce the benefit. What I value the most is not having to drive 20 min out of my way twice a week to get to the gas station just pull into garage and plug in. Sometimes this 20 min is the difference between a 50 min commute and a 2+ hour commute due to rush hour gridlock.

The fact is that gas costs far less than $2.85 where we live. Like a $1.80 or less. Comparable ICE Sedans get between 30-38 mpg not 21 mpg. And kWh costs nearly $.15 not $.12. There just is too much variation in these costs depending on where one lives. Today in order to come up with the $5,500-$8,200 number you are talking about 250000-300000 miles not 60000-75000 miles over 6 years using numbers in our area.

Others have already discussed the math here, and the whole apples-to-apples thing. When I got my M3 last year I did a very careful analysis to compare it to my previous ICE car (an Infiniti G37x). In the PNW, where electricity is cheap, I'm getting the equivalent of 134 MPGe compared to my previous car. So yes, there are real savings in $$ for fuel costs. Of course, to your general point things vary all over the place, and the PNW is particularly Tesla-friendly with low power costs (lots of hydro) .. which is course is one reason you see a LOT of Teslas around here (the other is the concentration of tech companies of course).

Tesla numbers are pretty dead on for us. We are charging at night super off peak @ $0.12 per kWh and we replaced the BMW X5 which was about 20 MPG (15 city/21 hwy) with premium gas. I can't tell you how much is premium gas right now as we have not been to the gas station in 3 years LOL. I think it was about $3.75 to $4 per gallon 3 years ago. At the highest, it was up to almost $5.. but dropped down.

After 3 year, we put 36,000 miles on the Model X. According to the trip meter, we are getting about 3 miles per kWh (334 Wh per mile). That seems a little high to me, so I am going to use 2.5 miles per kWh. I am going to use $3.00 per gallon for premium gas averaging for the last 3 years.

Model X: 36000/2.5 * 0.12 = $1728
X5: 36000/20 * 3 = $5400

Gas Saving for us in 3 years = $5400 - 1728 = $3672
Projected Gas Saving in 6 years = $3672 x 2 = $7344

Our Model X actually has free supercharging and there is a supercharger 2 miles from our house. We just charge at home because it is so easy and we installed solar since we got the X.

Reactions: dark cloud
Not having free supercharging and having to pay for the extra accessories (chadmo adapter etc) eats into those savings as well. Wall charger at your house if you want to have better than 14-50 charging our wall outlet charging.

Well if you are going to go there.....

Regarding my car with its mileage quoted above, with either of my previous vehicles (Honda CRV, Infiniti QX50) I would be getting to the point where spark plugs and a timing belt are required. For the CRV that is approx. $200 and $400. I am sure the Infiniti is more. Not to mention the 7 oil/filter changes that I would have done myself, and with Mobil 1 synthetic still costs me $50 each, add another $350.

Taking it to another level, with 140,000 km on my car if it were an ICE, I would think about trading it in while it still has some value, and would therefore lock in and absorb all the depreciation in the vehicle, then buying a newer lower mileage one and starting the cycle all over again. Every 3-5 years rinse and repeat. With a Tesla I have no issue keeping it for many more years. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars here.

Of course there would be other repairs and service, but there are those who have had to do some on their Tesla as well. All cars; ice and ev, need a brake fluid and an air conditioner service.

Not going to work it all out to the dollar, but I think we could easily call it a wash.

Additionally, I could always sell those electrical accessories at some point in the future, and they all hold their value very well. Some people have actually MADE money selling their accessories.

Well if you are going to go there.....

Regarding my car with its mileage quoted above, with either of my previous vehicles (Honda CRV, Infiniti QX50) I would be getting to the point where spark plugs and a timing belt are required. For the CRV that is approx. $200 and $400. I am sure the Infiniti is more. Not to mention the 7 oil/filter changes that I would have done myself, and with Mobil 1 synthetic still costs me $50 each, add another $350.

Taking it to another level, with 140,000 km on my car if it were an ICE, I would think about trading it in while it still has some value, and would therefore lock in and absorb all the depreciation in the vehicle, then buying a newer lower mileage one and starting the cycle all over again. Every 3-5 years rinse and repeat. With a Tesla I have no issue keeping it for many more years. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars here.

Of course there would be other repairs and service, but there are those who have had to do some on their Tesla as well. All cars; ice and ev, need a brake fluid and an air conditioner service.

Not going to work it all out to the dollar, but I think we could easily call it a wash.

Additionally, I could always sell those electrical accessories at some point in the future, and they all hold their value very well. Some people have actually MADE money selling their accessories.

Yeah I was not bringing up repair costs with a Tesla since it would loose the game as the mileage goes up depending on model. A model S after 4 years / 50k miles or 100k miles and you have left warranty outside of the powertrain. Which means the MCU / the door handles that fail at 1k a pop / charge port etc, it starts to add up. Hopefully your on the 19 inch tires since the 21 inch tires get obliterated on a pot hole due to the curb weight etc.

Yeah I was not bringing up repair costs with a Tesla since it would loose the game as the mileage goes up depending on model. A model S after 4 years / 50k miles or 100k miles and you have left warranty outside of the powertrain. Which means the MCU / the door handles that fail at 1k a pop / charge port etc, it starts to add up. Hopefully your on the 19 inch tires since the 21 inch tires get obliterated on a pot hole due to the curb weight etc.

Wait a sec, your repair costs are too high.
Door handles are down to $400 and the most common MCU fix is $320 (or $500 if you have to pay for a diagnostic).

I have 86k miles and just fixed my 2nd door handle. One was $10 or so and the other was $40 (DIY). My MCU is original.

I have had about $1100 other repairs out of warranty. So per mile, that isn't bad. I challenge the MB/BMW comparison. Now Toyota or Honda would surely be less on average.

I have had about $1100 other repairs out of warranty. So per mile, that isn't bad. I challenge the MB/BMW comparison. Now Toyota or Honda would surely be less on average.

On average perhaps, but one anedocte: My previous 2 Honda's; an Element the Civic I gave my daughter, have both had repairs more than that before 86K miles (140K km). Both went though air conditioners which cost $1300 and $1100 respectively (CDN), as well as a few other small items (window regulators, window switches etc.)