Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave 1 day to schedule delivery and then cancelled order, contract says we have 3 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered our Model Y Long Range on 6/16/2021 at 52.5k base price. Estimated delivery was originally September 2021 but they kept delaying at no fault of ours. Finally, estimated delivery landed on late December and we planned a vacation to Colorado at that time so we put it on hold until 1/1 as that was the day that we would return. On 12/2, Tesla emailed us to release hold or they would cancel order so we released the hold on 12/8 expecting a January delivery date. On 12/9 at 7:32 PM, they notified us through text that car was ready and VIN was assigned. We called them on 12/10 afternoon to delay the order due to our prior vacation plans and they told to have someone else take delivery for us and talk to our local sales manager. We emailed and called our local sales manager but he didn't respond. Contract says we have 3 days from when they notify us that car is ready to schedule delivery so we planned to schedule on 12/11 after my son's ACT because we didn't want to stress him out before his big exam. However, at 8:41 PM on 12/10 night, they said to take delivery by tonight or car would move on to next customer. I already was asleep by this time as I had to wake up early the next morning to drop my son for his ACT exam and didn't see the message. By 12/11 morning, within 40 hours of the first notification, we received a text that the car moved on to next customer and our order was automatically placed on hold until April 2022. One week later, they automatically cancelled the order without telling us. When we called, they claimed that they gave us 3 days to schedule delivery and we didn't respond to their messages when we actually did reply to their email notifications and leave multiple messages to our local sales advisor. This was supposed to be a gift for my son to drive to school. Now, he has a parking pass for school but no car and he is very disappointed. What should we do? We have screenshots proving that we had less than 40 hours to schedule delivery and our order was automatically placed on hold on 12/11. We also have proof that we replied to both of their email notifications and that our local sales manager didn't reach out to us or respond to our calls and emails.

I wonder, in the case you cannot not be physically present, if it could have been possible to wire the full payment amount,
or even to have a cashier's check been sent by a carrier to the delivery center, and may be pay for an additional storage fee?

Otherwise, would a home delivery would have been possible, as this was quite common during Covid,
where the car could have been left on your driveway, even if you were not present?

• Disagree
Reactions: StoXto3toY
Same thing happened to us. They sent an email 3 days ago on the 22nd around 4pm stating our LR M3 was ready to be delivered and to choose a delivery date by 9pm or the car will be assigned to another buyer. The only choice provided was the 23rd for 11:30am..the next day. Being on holiday already I could not choose that date and found it odd we had 5 hrs to make this decision much less get our $ to Tesla in time plus be able to add insurance.

We lost the car and now are waiting again for Jan. This is pathetic business practice…

What’s sad is if they asked what date I could take it would have been the 29-30-31st anytime. 15 second call or text. 🤦🏽‍♂️
Would have met their quarter end regardless.

Now my date says Jan 27th-Feb 21st
Ok oddly received a call from Tesla yesterday stating they found me a model 3 VIN for Dec 29th! Do they read these forums??
The rep was super helpful, professional and made the process easy. Ok…so blk/blk M3 LR to pick up tomorrow :)

Same thing happened to us. They sent an email 3 days ago on the 22nd around 4pm stating our LR M3 was ready to be delivered and to choose a delivery date by 9pm or the car will be assigned to another buyer. The only choice provided was the 23rd for 11:30am..the next day. Being on holiday already I could not choose that date and found it odd we had 5 hrs to make this decision much less get our $ to Tesla in time plus be able to add insurance.

We lost the car and now are waiting again for Jan. This is pathetic business practice…
But at least you didn't lose the order; that's what I'm afraid of. I'll be glad if I can make it into the new year then I think they'll be reasonable again.

We ordered our Model Y Long Range on 6/16/2021 at 52.5k base price. Estimated delivery was originally September 2021 but they kept delaying at no fault of ours. Finally, estimated delivery landed on late December and we planned a vacation to Colorado at that time so we put it on hold until 1/1 as that was the day that we would return. On 12/2, Tesla emailed us to release hold or they would cancel order so we released the hold on 12/8 expecting a January delivery date. On 12/9 at 7:32 PM, they notified us through text that car was ready and VIN was assigned. We called them on 12/10 afternoon to delay the order due to our prior vacation plans and they told to have someone else take delivery for us and talk to our local sales manager. We emailed and called our local sales manager but he didn't respond. Contract says we have 3 days from when they notify us that car is ready to schedule delivery so we planned to schedule on 12/11 after my son's ACT because we didn't want to stress him out before his big exam. However, at 8:41 PM on 12/10 night, they said to take delivery by tonight or car would move on to next customer. I already was asleep by this time as I had to wake up early the next morning to drop my son for his ACT exam and didn't see the message. By 12/11 morning, within 40 hours of the first notification, we received a text that the car moved on to next customer and our order was automatically placed on hold until April 2022. One week later, they automatically cancelled the order without telling us. When we called, they claimed that they gave us 3 days to schedule delivery and we didn't respond to their messages when we actually did reply to their email notifications and leave multiple messages to our local sales advisor. This was supposed to be a gift for my son to drive to school. Now, he has a parking pass for school but no car and he is very disappointed. What should we do? We have screenshots proving that we had less than 40 hours to schedule delivery and our order was automatically placed on hold on 12/11. We also have proof that we replied to both of their email notifications and that our local sales manager didn't reach out to us or respond to our calls and emails.
@agooditguy I would suggest going to the service center - trying to get an answer on the phone is hell.
I know you ordered a Model Y but you can also go on Existing Inv and watch for a model 3 in your area to pop up, they come available often, and buy it now, at least he will have a car. I am waiting for my Model Y and bought a model 3 until then - the car is fun to drive, a lot of room except for the trunk space is smaller because of not being a hatchback. The Model Y is only 10 inches longer and 2 inches wider but has about 30 miles less range.

Last edited:
...Contract says we have 3 days...
I'm in the same boat. Just put the $250 down on an in-stock Model 3 after confirming with online sales support and my service advisor that I had three days to take delivery and I wanted to do so 01/01/2022. Both said that was fine - in addition to it being written in the contract. I place my order and get told if I can't pick up tomorrow 12/31/21, my VIN will be released back into the system. I protested that we literally *just* discussed this and you said... I get no response and refresh my account to see my VIN's been unpaired and is back on the in-stock inventory sale page. :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. Just put the $250 down on an in-stock Model 3 after confirming with online sales support and my service advisor that I had three days to take delivery and I wanted to do so 01/01/2022. Both said that was fine - in addition to it being written in the contract. I place my order and get told if I can't pick up tomorrow 12/31/21, my VIN will be released back into the system. I protested that we literally *just* discussed this and you said... I get no response and refresh my account to see my VIN's been unpaired and is back on the in-stock inventory sale page. :rolleyes:
They DGAF

Maybe! Or so swamped w people who delayed till Jan 1 that it is even crazier
I think holds will become a thing of the past. Now everyone will start holding because GigaAusitn will be coming online, or because of a different processor, or double pane rear glass or something else. They are going to eventually just say you order a car, you take it when available or you lose your order and reorder at new price. Now the new battery packs might be coming hold again. In the contract I think it says you can hold for 90 days but people are taking advantage of Tesla's generosity on allowing longer hold times. Ive seen in other forums that there are order dates and holds for over 2 years, now they want their car and mad they got a EDD of TBD- well you TBD your date you were going to take it so it fair they TBD your date you get it.

I agree this 1 day to take it is BS - I cant get a cashiers check to me in 18 hours how do they expect you to take delivery. It took 24 hours for them to tell me what my trade in value was. I couldnt do anything until I got a final price from them.
I wonder if these take now are non-cash non-trade in orders

"underhanded"? Nope. Incompetent, and overwhelmed, yes.

No accusations from me toward the folks in this thread that are being pressed to take delivery. Seriously.

However, y'all have to consider that ever since the whisper of tax entitlements after Jan. 1, TESLA has been overwhelmed by customers continuing to extend their delivery dates. This had to have led to serious disruptions to an already overwhelmed (and sometimes incompetent?) delivery system.

It's always interesting to me that customers who manipulate the system are sometimes the same customers that cry foul when a manufacturer tries to adjust to those manipulators.

(Let the flaming begin)

You say you did not want to take delivery due to prior vacation plans but were still in town for the scheduled 12/11 date but you chose not to complete the on-line acceptance on 12/10. From Tesla's point, you were still not on vacation at that point. Your son was going to be dropped off for his ACT exam. Presumably you were available to take delivery on 12/11. I am not against anyone postponing deliveries, but Tesla is trying to get people to accept orders when their cars are ready. Not doing so means they have to ship it again to some one in the queue with the same configuration anywhere in North America. Tesla may have thought you were another person wanting to delay due to the tax rebate and was thus had no appetite for continued stone walling by customers, particularly those who once had put holds once. That said, I think once you remove your hold, you will get a new VIN in a matter of weeks. They are not going to make you wait until April.

You say you did not want to take delivery due to prior vacation plans but were still in town for the scheduled 12/11 date but you chose not to complete the on-line acceptance on 12/10. From Tesla's point, you were still not on vacation at that point. Your son was going to be dropped off for his ACT exam. Presumably you were available to take delivery on 12/11. I am not against anyone postponing deliveries, but Tesla is trying to get people to accept orders when their cars are ready. Not doing so means they have to ship it again to some one in the queue with the same configuration anywhere in North America. Tesla may have thought you were another person wanting to delay due to the tax rebate and was thus had no appetite for continued stone walling by customers, particularly those who once had put holds once. That said, I think once you remove your hold, you will get a new VIN in a matter of weeks. They are not going to make you wait until April.
That’s not our problem though, our order got cancelled altogether and we lost the price we locked in. Now we would have to pay 7k more and wait for nearly a year for the same car.

Reactions: Azone
That’s not our problem though, our order got cancelled altogether and we lost the price we locked in. Now we would have to pay 7k more and wait for nearly a year for the same car.
That is very sad. Losing a deposit is on thing but starting all over with a new pricing is another thing. BTW, the inventory is all the time showing available MYP's. Should you wish to buy one without waiting, that would be the way to go.

I think holds will become a thing of the past. Now everyone will start holding because GigaAusitn will be coming online, or because of a different processor, or double pane rear glass or something else. They are going to eventually just say you order a car, you take it when available or you lose your order and reorder at new price. Now the new battery packs might be coming hold again. In the contract I think it says you can hold for 90 days but people are taking advantage of Tesla's generosity on allowing longer hold times. Ive seen in other forums that there are order dates and holds for over 2 years, now they want their car and mad they got a EDD of TBD- well you TBD your date you were going to take it so it fair they TBD your date you get it.

I agree this 1 day to take it is BS - I cant get a cashiers check to me in 18 hours how do they expect you to take delivery. It took 24 hours for them to tell me what my trade in value was. I couldnt do anything until I got a final price from them.
I wonder if these take now are non-cash non-trade in orders
In cases where agreement says 30, 60 or 90 days. Early deliveries often pass the time limit due to production delay, then it’s Tesla taking advantage of customers’ generosity on allowing longer wait times.

So not only Sales and Delivery Operation team’s civil war sucks, the Legal team could have a much better Agreement built to clarify the rules.

Reactions: doozenberg