Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave away my Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You ordered a day after mine and am guessing already have your M3. I am still going to have to wait 2-4 months... and my not even get the tax rebate.
Ok I believe you now. Sorry for the doubt and your current situation.
And no, still no car. I think they will try and make this right. I would send a tweet to Elon telling him his company gave away your reservation AFTER you had paid the confirmation fee. #elonmusk and #tesla
You may get some quick resolution there, although it didn't work for me.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Ok I believe you now. Sorry for the doubt and your current situation.
And no, still no car. I think they will try and make this right. I would send a tweet to Elon telling him his company gave away your reservation AFTER you had paid the confirmation fee. #elonmusk and #tesla
You may get some quick resolution there, although it didn't work for me.
created a twitter account just not to tweet to Elon. will update if any communication happens

Well, getting another M3 with those specs quickly isn't such a big problem, BUT the fact that you're essentially out $3500 is a HUGE problem. Tesla should be able to track where that car is going, what delivery center it was sent to or even where it is right now if they've already delivered it to someone. You might also be the victim of data/ID theft.

Well, getting another M3 with those specs quickly isn't such a big problem, BUT the fact that you're essentially out $3500 is a HUGE problem. Tesla should be able to track where that car is going, what delivery center it was sent to or even where it is right now if they've already delivered it to someone. You might also be the victim of data/ID theft.
I am sure Tesla will apply the 3500 to the new order ... Dont think that will be a problem ... it’s that they screwed up and really are not doing anything to take care of the issue

Okay, so if I understand this correctly.

Somehow Tesla lost track of your order? I don't buy that they gave anything away as that makes no sense. Once you have an order the reservation doesn't mean anything. In fact it wasn't even needed. You could have just ordered when you did without a reservation at all.

My order on 7/31 didn't need a reservation, but I had one.

If I was in your shoes I'd push them to get you a car before the end of the year.

It's absolutely insane that it would take longer than 5 months for that configuration. You definitely want to take delivery before the end of the year to get the $7500 tax credit.

If they don't then I'd just walk away, and get my $3500 back.

Tesla is busy/chaotic/etc that they can't even seem to do simple things right. Like they're being sued by Nevada for failing to pay their taxes. That issue was supposedly due to a clerical error, but how'd it get all the way to a lawsuit?

I am sure Tesla will apply the 3500 to the new order ... Dont think that will be a problem ... it’s that they screwed up and really are not doing anything to take care of the issue

With all the facts in your favor, I would really (politely) push Tesla for resolution here. They were in the wrong and should be doing everything to make things right. That is supposed to be their reputation and they should live up to it. I think escalation is your best bet now.

Okay, so if I understand this correctly.

Somehow Tesla lost track of your order? I don't buy that they gave anything away as that makes no sense. Once you have an order the reservation doesn't mean anything. In fact it wasn't even needed. You could have just ordered when you did without a reservation at all.

My order on 7/31 didn't need a reservation, but I had one.

If I was in your shoes I'd push them to get you a car before the end of the year.

It's absolutely insane that it would take longer than 5 months for that configuration. You definitely want to take delivery before the end of the year to get the $7500 tax credit.

If they don't then I'd just walk away, and get my $3500 back.

Tesla is busy/chaotic/etc that they can't even seem to do simple things right. Like they're being sued by Nevada for failing to pay their taxes. That issue was supposedly due to a clerical error, but how'd it get all the way to a lawsuit?

As I understand it, it's not that they "lost" his order exactly, but that it was modified for someone else in another state by the same last name thinking they were working on his order. Probably someone called in checking on things and someone pulled up the wrong order and changed it, maybe there was a color change or such to the other guys order and someone wasn't paying close attention and grabbed the wrong account. At least that's how I could see this happening. Huge mistake by some DA if that's what happened and sure it also bears looking into who that other person was in Florida and how this could have happened.

My order was end of June and we got our car after the 3rd scheduled attempt on 9/23. Just a few weeks ago. It's possible that Tesla hasn't gotten to orders placed at end of July yet and the delivery would not have necessarily happened yet. But I have no idea how they are doing this so again just a guess. And clearly we've seen exceptions all over the place. I do think the OP should be given his place back in line based on his order date and the car sold to him for what the order confirmation was for.

BTW regarding Tesla being sued by the State of Nevada. That amount was paid, but it was in part as I understand from the press because Tesla acquired Solar City and was questioning how they were calculating what Tesla owed for a worker's comp insurance contribution due to the acquisition. I think that's understandable trying to fight or negotiate something like that. Once you pay it if you are disputing something, much harder trying to get any amount back you might be due. I use to have to prepare and file the unemployment comp forms for a small company and when people are fired or laid off the company gets wacked quite a bit of money as the their contribution rate goes up for quite a number of reporting quarters. I can see why Tesla would not want to be penalized for rates set for Solar City. Sure the lawsuit was Nevada's way of leveraging Tesla with bad publicity, making it seem maybe like Tesla didn't have the money to pay the contribution and playing into short sellers rumors. Sure did get a lot of negative headline press don't you think. Guess it worked.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
As I understand it, it's not that they "lost" his order exactly, but that it was modified for someone else in another state by the same last name thinking they were working on his order. Probably someone called in checking on things and someone pulled up the wrong order and changed it, maybe there was a color change or such to the other guys order and someone wasn't paying close attention and grabbed the wrong account. At least that's how I could see this happening. Huge mistake by some DA if that's what happened and sure it also bears looking into who that other person was in Florida and how this could have happened.

My order was end of June and we got our car after the 3rd scheduled attempt on 9/23. Just a few weeks ago. It's possible that Tesla hasn't gotten to orders placed at end of July yet and the delivery would not have necessarily happened yet. But I have no idea how they are doing this so again just a guess. And clearly we've seen exceptions all over the place. I do think the OP should be given his place back in line based on his order date and the car sold to him for what the order confirmation was for.

BTW regarding Tesla being sued by the State of Nevada. That amount was paid, but it was in part as I understand from the press because Tesla acquired Solar City and was questioning how they were calculating what Tesla owed for a worker's comp insurance contribution due to the acquisition. I think that's understandable trying to fight or negotiate something like that. Once you pay it if you are disputing something, much harder trying to get any amount back you might be due. I use to have to prepare and file the unemployment comp forms for a small company and when people are fired or laid off the company gets wacked quite a bit of money as the their contribution rate goes up for quite a number of reporting quarters. I can see why Tesla would not want to be penalized for rates set for Solar City. Sure the lawsuit was Nevada's way of leveraging Tesla with bad publicity, making it seem maybe like Tesla didn't have the money to pay the contribution and playing into short sellers rumors. Sure did get a lot of negative headline press don't you think. Guess it worked.

The only thing I knew about it was from the Electrek article which quotes a Tesla Spokes person as saying:

“Since Tesla acquired SolarCity and incorporated all of its employees, we’ve been in discussions with states over new unemployment insurance contribution rates, which is typical in acquisitions like this. This judgment is the result of a clerical error, and we have processed this payment today to reflect the latest unemployment insurance contribution rates. Over the past 18 months, Tesla has already paid over $3.3 million in unemployment taxes to Nevada.”

Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but I saw it as Tesla saying "Oops". But, maybe your interpretation is more accurate.

Forehead smack.

You gotta be kiddin' me. So all that other information we all provided--e-mail address, phone number, home address, credit card number--they didn't try to match any of that? Just firstname lastname? Are they using freaking Excel to manage orders? :eek:

Given that a couple hours after I placed my order, the sales guy who have me a test drive texted me (we had texted before to discuss some details) about my order. I didn’t tell him I’d ordered, and I ordered through the mobile website at home. I’m not sure if their system flagged my order due to them having my email or number, but given that a couple weeks later he was able to pull up my order and associate it with a car (without me giving him a reservation number), I’m not at all surprised that something like this could be possible.