Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave my car away to someone else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered oct 13 a MSM on black long range

I saw a match in stock a few states away, called up my SC, they matched me to the vin. A day or two later, I got the delivery call to set a date. I chose oct 26. All is good. I was hearing horror stories of 6-10 week waits and I thought I just cheated the system.

I notice the Vin I matched is in the source code but not presenting on the site. No worries yet

I rush to get a connector at a premium on amazon because Tesla’s store is unreliable, I rush to get a contractor and permits for the cabling and install (several hours of work) - I changed vacation plans and changed a bunch of registration papers because my wife wouldn’t be available on delivery day. Got all my docs submitted within two days of the delivery date. There was nothing left to do but take delivery.

yesterday I notice a vin has presented on my account, but it’s not the vin I matched to originally. I look it up and it references a 2020 model (my previous vin I asked them to match for me was a 2019). I contact the SC and they say something akin to “don’t do anything because that may go away” —sounds odd they “thought”
something would happen.

today I get a call and they tell me they gave away the first vin to someone else in another state because it was cheaper for Tesla. Then they matched me to a factory vin of a car that isn’t built. Now my wait may be as late as December. They even explained how they used to truck cars but now they apparently rail them because it’s cheaper.

I moved mountains to take this delivery and make myself available to travel, and they just give it away to a random person. Just a heads up for all of you that are taking deliveries of a vehicle you yourself matched at another location. Their algorithm may screw you over

my account still reads the same delivery date oddly - and the rep told me it’s wrong and there is no way we will be getting a car this weekend and to ignore it. Another problem - people can apparently drive hours to a delivery and not even realize there will be no car there if you happen to miss a call or two.

At first they refused to give me anything - I asked if I will lose my trade in value. They said yes if it’s over 30 days from the quote they provided (which it almost certainly will be) I kept at it and they said they MAY give me something and just placated with emotional mirroring which does nothing for me. I lost money and time planning a bunch of variables around a delivery date and your excuse for it not happening is you gave it to someone else. That’s terrible. It’s one thing if “the truck broke down” “the car had damage” — something of a force majeure nature I can comprehend. To just randomly unassign me from a car when I’ve done all this paperwork and hustle to get things ready is really cold.

highly disappointed in this experience

Ordered oct 13 a MSM on black long range

I saw a match in stock a few states away, called up my SC, they matched me to the vin. A day or two later, I got the delivery call to set a date. I chose oct 26. All is good. I was hearing horror stories of 6-10 week waits and I thought I just cheated the system.

I notice the Vin I matched is in the source code but not presenting on the site. No worries yet

I rush to get a connector at a premium on amazon because Tesla’s store is unreliable, I rush to get a contractor and permits for the cabling and install (several hours of work) - I changed vacation plans and changed a bunch of registration papers because my wife wouldn’t be available on delivery day. Got all my docs submitted within two days of the delivery date. There was nothing left to do but take delivery.

yesterday I notice a vin has presented on my account, but it’s not the vin I matched to originally. I look it up and it references a 2020 model (my previous vin I asked them to match for me was a 2019). I contact the SC and they say something akin to “don’t do anything because that may go away” —sounds odd they “thought”
something would happen.

today I get a call and they tell me they gave away the first vin to someone else in another state because it was cheaper for Tesla. Then they matched me to a factory vin of a car that isn’t built. Now my wait may be as late as December. They even explained how they used to truck cars but now they apparently rail them because it’s cheaper.

I moved mountains to take this delivery and make myself available to travel, and they just give it away to a random person. Just a heads up for all of you that are taking deliveries of a vehicle you yourself matched at another location. Their algorithm may screw you over

my account still reads the same delivery date oddly - and the rep told me it’s wrong and there is no way we will be getting a car this weekend and to ignore it. Another problem - people can apparently drive hours to a delivery and not even realize there will be no car there if you happen to miss a call or two.

At first they refused to give me anything - I asked if I will lose my trade in value. They said yes if it’s over 30 days from the quote they provided (which it almost certainly will be) I kept at it and they said they MAY give me something and just placated with emotional mirroring which does nothing for me. I lost money and time planning a bunch of variables around a delivery date and your excuse for it not happening is you gave it to someone else. That’s terrible. It’s one thing if “the truck broke down” “the car had damage” — something of a force majeure nature I can comprehend. To just randomly unassign me from a car when I’ve done all this paperwork and hustle to get things ready is really cold.

highly disappointed in this experience

So they VIN they matched you to originally actually displayed on the site and they confirmed that would be your VIN?

So they VIN they matched you to originally actually displayed on the site and they confirmed that would be your VIN?

it did not display on the site. It was in the source code. But they called me and set a delivery date and said the car was coming up from the other state. They even said “it’s going to deliver the day before but we need a day to prep it”

they were very detailed and descriptive about what was going on with that original vin. Then a new vin just randomly populated on my account (where I COuLD see it, not through source code) and they informed me they gave away the original vin to another customer because it saved Tesla money to take it away from me. They openly admitted this

by the way, on my original post,‘I meant to say “I had all docs submitted within 2 days of ordering the car” NOT the delivery date

Last edited:
it did not display on the site. It was in the source code. But they called me and set a delivery date and said the car was coming up from the other state. They even said “it’s going to deliver the day before but we need a day to prep it”

they were very detailed and descriptive about what was going on with that original vin. Then a new vin just randomly populated on my account (where I COuLD see it, not through source code) and they informed me they gave away the original vin to another customer because it saved Tesla money to take it away from me. They openly admitted this

by the way, on my original post,‘I meant to say “I had all docs submitted within 2 days of ordering the car” NOT the delivery date

Sorry, that SUX. Tesla is not making many friends lately. Its come to the point that we never know if we have a car until we get one home - all signed, etc.

OP - you're crying because you ordered your 3 less than 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten it? I waited TWO YEARS AND 38 DAYS:eek: for mine, reservation to delivery.

Quit whining.

That's not a fair comparison at all. Come on.

In this case (and many more) Tesla clearly screwed him over just so that some report will show a bit higher numbers. All this will return and bite them hard once other good EVs are available. It's like they want to drive away customers...

OP - you're crying because you ordered your 3 less than 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten it? I waited TWO YEARS AND 38 DAYS:eek: for mine, reservation to delivery.

Quit whining.

context is everything sweetheart.

you ordered before release with a hundred thousand people. The street date got pushed back.

that is totally different than me placing an order, getting called to accept delivery in a short time window of 2 days, rearranging my life to accommodate that, get all docs situated, and pay a premium on install and wall connector so I can get it in in less than a week

If you don’t see the difference, that’s fine. If I preordered the model Y today and cried that I didn’t get it next week, that would indeed be stupid, and a totally different story

I intend to order the
Pickup truck when it’s revealed. And I intend to wait two years before I ever see it

What does it even mean -- in the "source code"??

It means in the HTML or JavaScript code that makes up the website pages. If you're viewing this page in IE11 and have the Menu bar enables (you see File Edit View Favorites Tools Help at the top of the screen), click on View then in its drop down menu, click on Source to see the pages' source code.

Wow, so the viewing the webpage in HTML source actually reveals some hidden secret that Tesla doesn't want to show us?

it shows a soft claim VIN. There is a certain point where it becomes more certain it is yours and they reflect it on your account openly.

I had a source code vin that they took away and gave to someone else

it shows a soft claim VIN. There is a certain point where it becomes more certain it is yours and they reflect it on your account openly.

I had a source code vin that they took away and gave to someone else

this sucks. To be fair did you ever get MVPA paperwork with VIN stating? Now we see the problem is not only with VIN but you got screwed over planning - this is not fair to you. Maybe they can give you wall charger for free or something to do you right.

Forget the VIN; they promised him a car (with a date) and then changed their mind.
If they warned him that the car could get allocated to someone else in the meanwhile then that would be fine. They did not.

They absolutely set a delivery date. I had to go in their system and pick

to me, once you do that, you’re telling me “go spend money getting all the necessary things you need done”

I told them if you’re answer to me after all that is “if you’re not satisfied you can cancel your purchase” that is completely shitty. I’m already almost $2000 in the hole. I had to hire a rush contractor who was willing to come within 7 days- do you know how hard that is ? I had to buy a wall connector off amazon at a premium to the Tesla $500 price because I knew the website was wildly unreliable and many people didn’t get orders delivered for weeks or sometimes months. I had to pull permits. I rearranged my personal life and took myself off a family vacation, rescheduled coworkers who were scheduled to cover for me during that vacation (who I now can’t reschedule back)

the reason I performed all these backflips, is because they themselves told me , almost flippantly, “if you don’t get the car within 7 days, you will lose it to someone else. We can’t hold it”

If you set all those very inflexible parameters and tell me to start jumping through hoops, and then take it all away on a whim because you saved $300 bucks of space on a delivery truck, then you are a trash company.

I know what they will do “we’re so sorry, here’s a $50 wheel aero kit” yeah assholes- thanks, I’m $2000 in the hole. I might have spent closer to $1000 if I wasn’t rushed and not flipped my personal and professional life upside down because of your stupid and arbitrary parameters.

I told them I want a discount or wheel upgrade , a bunch of supercharger miles, something with more value than some stupid $50-$100 accessory. At the very least, install my homelink I bought and refund me the price. But seeing how cold they have been up until now, I know the manager is going to tell me to pound sand. Tesla has so much demand they literally don’t give two shits

If you set all those very inflexible parameters and tell me to start jumping through hoops, and then take it all away on a whim because you saved $300 bucks of space on a delivery truck, then you are a trash company.

It doesn’t really get better after the sale FYI. The cars are amazing, but customer service is terrible. At this time you have to be willing to roll with the punches Tesla throws at you if you want to own one. Try giving your local service center a call on the phone, see if they are hard to get a hold of. In my neck of the woods, the phones aren’t regularly manned so the most reliable way to talk to someone is to drive there in person. Which sux when I am 1.5 hours away. Don’t know how many times I have made that drive to pick up my car that the app said was “done” only to arrive and the car wasn’t actually done. Since no one answers the phone, I can’t confirm the app status before going down, so we just deal with it and take off work early multiple days in a row. I dread having to take my car in for service now.

Tesla may eventually wise up and fix their customer service (it used to be better) but for now it sux. You might want to take that into consideration before buying the car. Right now you are only out $2k. If this kind of stuff really bothers you, it might be best to back out now before you have invested even more.

Last edited:
It doesn’t really get better after the sale FYI. The cars are amazing, but customer service is terrible. At this time you have to be willing to roll with the punches Tesla throws at you if you want to own one. Try giving your local service center a call on the phone, see if they are hard to get a hold of. In my neck of the woods, the phones aren’t regularly manned so the most reliable way to talk to someone is to drive there in person. Which sux when I am 1.5 hours away. Don’t know how many times I have made that drive to pick up my car that the app said was “done” only to arrive and the car wasn’t actually done. Since no one answers the phone, I can’t confirm the app status before going down, so we just deal with it and take off work early multiple days in a row. I dread having to take my car in for service now.

Tesla may eventually wise up and fix their customer service (it used to be better) but for now it sux. You might want to take that into consideration before buying the car. Right now you are only out $2k. If this kind of stuff really bothers you, it might be best to back out now before you have invested even more.

appreciate the candid advice - and we are seriously considering what you’re saying. If this is what we are in for it is not good. It’s one thing to be very busy. Slow response times. Etc. it’s another to outright lie to
Customer and send them on goose chases just to pull the rug from them

the homelink debacle was another story - employees are downright rude. I’m explaining a story with cururucas points to them that show what my problem is, and they keep ignoring what I’m saying and responding as if the solution is mitigated even though I clearly laid out reasons why their answer is invalid. It’s like a willful ignorance. We should be thankful they are willing to sell us an expensive car and a bunch of
Accessories, eventually, at some indefinite point, and we should shut our mouths and be thankful

appreciate the candid advice - and we are seriously considering what you’re saying. If this is what we are in for it is not good. It’s one thing to be very busy. Slow response times. Etc. it’s another to outright lie to
Customer and send them on goose chases just to pull the rug from them

the homelink debacle was another story - employees are downright rude. I’m explaining a story with cururucas points to them that show what my problem is, and they keep ignoring what I’m saying and responding as if the solution is mitigated even though I clearly laid out reasons why their answer is invalid. It’s like a willful ignorance. We should be thankful they are willing to sell us an expensive car and a bunch of
Accessories, eventually, at some indefinite point, and we should shut our mouths and be thankful

The thing people don't seem to understand is that Tesla is not selling vehicles like a traditional dealership. They don't build additional margin into their vehicles to solve customer service problems. Its not like you're going to be going back to them to pay for all of your maintenance needs. They don't make money on the back end from your patronage as a customer as is standard in the car dealership model.

If you're selling a high demand product with low margins you simply can't afford to financially compensate people for a negative experience, particularly if you did not explicitly cause it.

FYI, I took delivery about a month ago and they rescheduled my delivery appointment 3 times due to delays on the processing side. It definitely said that the delivery date was tentative so while it sucks that you rearranged your life and I empathize with the fact that it cost you $ to do so, I don't think they have a responsibility to compensate you financially. Its not unreasonable for you to ask, or expect or w/e but if I was in their position I would tell you to go pound sand.

Car is awesome though. My last new car was a loaded 2009 audi s5 and I enjoy the m3p- wayyyyy more.

Reactions: Kenz and SMAlset
Tesla is notorious for doing stuff like this. Nobody is really in charge there and nobody takes ownership for the customer service experience. I’ve read many posts where people would say they drove five hours to pick up their car only to find out it wasn’t there.

The only lesson you can learn from this is that you can never really believe anything a Tesla rep tells you. They run their organization like a high school science project. They get away with it because there is little competition.

It will change some day when they have to compete. But for now they apparently don’t have to learn how to grow up just yet.

Quit whining.

Not everyone's situation is the same. Yours was a preorder. Apples and kumquats.

For example, my wife had an unfortunate runin with a deer on the highway this week in her Enclave. We're waiting for the insurance adjuster to do their thing, but I think there's a > 50% chance they'll declare it totaled. If they do - I'm going to be in the market for a vehicle, and fast. A long wait isn't a possibility in our case... so please, be a little more understanding that not everyone will be in the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.