Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector issue - won't start charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Gen 3 wall connector for my uncle's place. Installed by an electrician. He recently purchased a Volvo EX30. Charging the car worked fine during the first week after installation of the charger.

However now, when plugging into a car (either Volvo EX30 or my Tesla Model 3), it changes from flashing green to solid blue light and charging does not start. There is no scheduling enabled on either car nor in the Tesla wall connector via app. Also access control is set to all vehicles.
It's like it does not connect / communicate with the car to start charging. Also the flashing green stays flashing green rather than reverting to solid green after 15 minutes as I believe it should.

Firmware was already on newest version (24.12.51-7855f62). Tried resetting the charger a few times. Tried factory reset twice. Tried offline firmware update back to 23.24.4. Also tried changing Tesla account password and different wifi connections despite there being no obvious issues with commissioning or connecting to wifi other than the flashing green light staying flashing.

In between each of these steps, got the same result with attempting to charge either car - idles with flashing green light but then stays on solid blue when plugged into the car and does not charge. No red lights at all to signify what the issue could be.

Any other suggestions on how to remedy this issue or is it a faulty charger that needs replacement?

Actually I tried that too, but no dice. Could test it out again since there many ways to 'make it loose', however wasn't too keen to have an insecurely attached charger on the wall for long.

It may not be the same issue since our one starts off green but only goes blue when plugged into a vehicle.
Also our one worked for a week before failing.

Have contacted Tesla support and awaiting reply to see what they suggest.

The only time my Wall Connector would not charge was because I had it configured to only charge my car, which doesn't seem to work. Once I set it back to charge any car it worked.

The only other thing I can think to check is the torque on the conductors. After several charge cycles the copper expands/contracts and that can loosen the wire. Make sure the connectors are securely torqued. Obviously open the circuit breaker first. The circuit board in the Wall Connector has a circuit interrupt detector in there and if there is a loose conductor that could trip it. You may want to check the torque on the breaker too.

Once I set it back to charge any car it worked.
Assuming you are referring to the Wall Connector lights, it obviously charges when you set to any car but not if you set to a particular car - so at least the Wall Connector is working.
The issue likely is in the way you select vehicle charging access
You can change vehicle access for the Wall Connector in the Tesla App

Swipe right on the app
Settings >> vehicle charging >> access control.
If you have a non tesla car and a tesla car your only option is to set vehicle access to "any electric vehicle" or "compatibility mode"

IMG_3645.jpeg

Last edited:
Assuming you are referring to the Wall Connector lights, it obviously charges when you set to any car but not if you set to a particular car - so at least the Wall Connector is working.
The issue likely is in the way you select vehicle charging access
You can change vehicle access for the Wall Connector in the Tesla App

Swipe right on the app
Settings >> vehicle charging >> access control.
If you have a non tesla car and a tesla car your only option is to set vehicle access to "any electric vehicle" or "compatibility mode"

View attachment 1053341
Thanks! I didn't see that page in my Tesla App then I realized that I had not added my Wall Connector to my App. I just now did that and exploring how this works. When I commissioned the Wall Connector I logged straight into the WC's set up page on my phone which was a PITA. I'm not sure the App had a page for it back then.

Last edited: