Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes there is a Chinese Wall.

Investment Bankers cannot communicate with research analysts and vice versa.

Adam Jonas asked the question about capital raising and Elon confirmed they will raise capital this week.

Adam wrote a bullish research note (maybe) in hopes to help his bank get a piece of the underwriting deal. And it worked.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this out, and there is nothing illegal here. It would be very unethical if Adam didn't believe what he wrote. But if he truly believes in what he wrote, then there is nothing wrong with playing the game.

Adam Jonas might get a nice bonus this year.

And lastly the guys at zerohedge are idiots and always looking for conspiracy theories and other imminent market crashes that either aren't there or never materialize.

The days after the 2008 crisis when I read Zerohedge got me depressed and questioning my own sound judgment, and then I realized the truth. Those are some seriously, perpetually unhappy people whose conversations inevitably devolve to "hoard canned goods, guns and gold bricks in your underground shelter, every other investment is futile."

Agree with Sleepy, not worth paying much attention to.

And on Adam Jonas' report -- research and investment divisions are walled off and regulated by SEC accordingly. Insider trading means jail time. This is normal, everyday stuff on Wall Street, and no cause for alarm. The shorts are desperate, and looking for any shred of negativity to come up with.

GigaFactory is nothing less than the dawn of a new era for Tesla Motors, and perhaps even the US economy!

Nothing odd about a research analyst raising a price target after a fantastic quarterly report. Nothing strange about Morgan Stanley underwriting for Tesla. They always do. I'd say it's a coincidence, but it isn't really. The two events are tied to the earnings report, not to one another, hence their proximity.

In the "resources" section the report does acknowledge that Bolivia has the world's largest potential, though certainly well below 80% of world resources.

A recent article indicates that the 45% figures generally acknowledged were based on Li to 30 feet depth. Test cores were drilled in the resouce area and found Li to 600 feet! The problem is the general lack of water to extract the Li from the substrate. There are plans in place to divert water to this area to allow income and mining to this area. Political issues have delayed needed progress.

It will be very interesting to see what state gives the sweetheart deal here. I expect them to be falling over each other to try to get the first gigafactory that brings in 6,500 jobs.

It will be very interesting to see what state gives the sweetheart deal here. I expect them to be falling over each other to try to get the first gigafactory that brings in 6,500 jobs.

I believe Rick Perry will be fighting tooth and nails to get this factory in Texas...will even offer some kind of credits from the Texas Fund they have set up for situations just like this. They may seem like the long shot to most people but that's the horse I'd put all my money on.

I believe Rick Perry will be fighting tooth and nails to get this factory in Texas...will even offer some kind of credits from the Texas Fund they have set up for situations just like this. They may seem like the long shot to most people but that's the horse I'd put all my money on.

Maybe they'll build a very long, very thin factory that's in all 4 candidate states and get money from all of them.

Im very surprised about that high number, I would think that most of the processes are completely automated.
Well, how many folks do you think all of today's existing battery factories employ? There's some economies of scale in colocating it all in one spot, but still, it's a massive factory :)

As someone else noted, other manufacturers are going to have to get serious about building their own factories too, but even if they do, they'll be looking over scarce pickings for the top talent since Tesla will have sucked it all up.

Im very surprised about that high number, I would think that most of the processes are completely automated.

100% automated factories still require people in purchasing, warehousing, process validation, equipment maintenance, facilities, EHS, HR, finance, quality, manufacturing engineering, and on and on and on. A facility that size will maintain their own wastewater treatment plant and lord knows what else.

6500 doesn't seem high at all.

The only 'stick it' I'd like to see them do in Texas is to 1) get them to get rid of their antiquated dealership laws first, and then 2) pick another state.

I'm still not happy with Texas legislators over that.

I guarantee you that if you dangle 6,500 new factory jobs at them, they will bend over backwards to toss the dealership laws out the window. Texas politicians like money and votes, and a little money from dealership PACs is nothing compared to delivering a giant factory to your state.

On location:
I think Texas would be a very amusing choice, given the recent history others have mentioned. Definitely a possibility.
New Mexico's problem (am getting ready to be flamed here...) is that its educational system is so wretched that it might be difficult to find 6,500 willing able-bodied workers who could be properly trained.
Arizona - if Gov. Brewer had not, 90 minutes ago, vetoed a certain bill, it was not only unlikely that Tesla would consider putting a plant here but there was a significant chance of fairly large-scale industrial exodus. In that she did veto it, well, AZ has a lot of the necessary elements.
Nevada - I have enumerated elsewhere the potential extremely serious pitfall for any industrial firm cosidering setting up shop there. Other than those, it has some very interesting possibilities. Can its workforce throw up 6,500 workers????? If not, of course, they could be persuaded to there.

+1. Why the heck would Tesla want to benefit a state that has caused them so many problems?

1) Because cost/benefit ratios in the supply chain and other incentives will be the primary consideration in choosing which state gets the factory
2) Tesla still has massive excess demand
3) For the same reason Elon flew to Germany to personally announce European expansion, and stir the pot in the backyard of the big 3 German luxury brands. He likes showing no fear in the home turf of the competition.