Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I reading the headline of that prospectus correctly in that they sold all 2.3bn worth of Convertible Notes?

Tesla Motors - Prospectus Filed Pursuant to Rule 424

From page S-8

We estimate that the net proceeds from this offering will be approximately $1,968.9 million (or approximately $2,264.4 million if the underwriters exercise their options to purchase additional notes of both series in full), after deducting underwriters’ discounts and commissions and estimated offering expenses payable by us. [/QUOTE]

Apologies to our Texas brethren on the site but I really hope Tesla does not even consider Texas for the GF. http://www.cnbc.com/id/101456297

MF!!! I really hate this state and it's corruption. Do they not understand we are the second biggest area for Model S sales!?! I work in North Dallas around all the private schools and I'm seeing them pop up everywhere, every day.

Last edited:
MF!!! I really hate this state and it's corruption. Do that not understand we are the second biggest area for Model S sales!?! I work in North Dallas around all the private schools and I'm seeing them pop up everywhere, every day.

There are a lot of emotions in his tone, even though he has a very well practiced poker face. Mostly anger, indicating their previous meeting with Elon was more than frustrating and this is a vendetta.

On second note, I do not think the Texas lawmakers will be too pleased with this. He is speaking as if he owns the lawmakers, which a normal person would usually deviate to the lawmakers and only pretend to "guess" at what the lawmakers might think. He also let slip that the auto dealers are businesses passed down from father to son and they look like the most powerful business in the state. This is completely against the free thinking of the California crowd, which is mostly against generational wealth. This setup will inherently be against merit based competition as generational wealth are usually used to squash smaller rivals. Even Warren Buffett said the same. Leave them each enough to be fed, but not enough to do nothing.

It is very funny that he says Tesla should choose based on merit and that Texas has the most merit. We all know that's bull dung in the world of business and laws. As the numbers of state "unchosen" begin to compete for Tesla's attention with even sweeter deals and the lawmaker's attitude towards the autodealers change, (because customers have more vote than dealers) I expect his tone to change as well. However, this will probably not happen until Tesla has a Truck that blows all the truck away in the hot weather of Texas.

There are a lot of emotions in his tone, even though he has a very well practiced poker face. Mostly anger, indicating their previous meeting with Elon was more than frustrating and this is a vendetta.

On second note, I do not think the Texas lawmakers will be too pleased with this. He is speaking as if he owns the lawmakers, which a normal person would usually deviate to the lawmakers and only pretend to "guess" at what the lawmakers might think. He also let slip that the auto dealers are businesses passed down from father to son and they look like the most powerful business in the state. This is completely against the free thinking of the California crowd, which is mostly against generational wealth. This setup will inherently be against merit based competition as generational wealth are usually used to squash smaller rivals. Even Warren Buffett said the same. Leave them each enough to be fed, but not enough to do nothing.

It is very funny that he says Tesla should choose based on merit and that Texas has the most merit. We all know that's bull dung in the world of business and laws. As the numbers of state "unchosen" begin to compete for Tesla's attention with even sweeter deals and the lawmaker's attitude towards the autodealers change, (because customers have more vote than dealers) I expect his tone to change as well. However, this will probably not happen until Tesla has a Truck that blows all the truck away in the hot weather of Texas.

Ah, good points. :)

Am I reading the headline of that prospectus correctly in that they sold all 2.3bn worth of Convertible Notes?

yes as ducky posted; and from scattered reports, the demand is strong, so expectation is the optional allotment will also be sold yielding Tesla just under $2.3B;

Elon- I recommend buying $2.3B of TSLA, then just spend it as your GF needs it over the next three years (those GFs can really be expensive as you know ;) )

Any word on who the other partners will be? The stock wants to know. Seems the market was waiting for the other foot to fall but with no conference call and no announcement there may be doubt that it is a done deal.

Sorry for the late reply... almost forgot I had to be somewhere tonight :redface:

I'm not sure what makes you say that, though. I just received the prospectus today and we are going to try to put some of our money into this offering. We're probably going to try for the 7 year notes... I don't see any major downside of going for the longer term notes. Will update on Monday.

+1 Causalien

I chuckled (out loud) when he mentioned the dealership laws were there to protect the consumer and then spent the last minutes of the interview talking about the protection of the dealerships themselves, never again mentioning the consumer. I actually think he believes his own do-do.

I actually hope the Gigafactory doesn't become a bargaining chip for being allowed to make direct sales... it may have the undesired effect of other states trying similar extortion/quid-pro-quo tactics with their own dealership laws (Ohio being one of the troublesome states). Those laws should be upended on their own "merits" (or lack thereof :rolleyes:)

I actually hope the Gigafactory doesn't become a bargaining chip for being allowed to make direct sales... it may have the undesired effect of other states trying similar extortion/quid-pro-quo tactics with their own dealership laws (Ohio being one of the troublesome states). Those laws should be upended on their own "merits" (or lack thereof :rolleyes:)

In my mind, there is no way that Elon tries to play this as a quid-pro-quo card. I bet that he will go there if it makes the most economic and logistical sense.

If Elon builds a GF here and a SpaceX launch center in Brownsville, TX then he is going to be a hero. The lawmakers will come around quickly and he will get these stupid laws reversed.

Elon is a business person first, and will go to Texas if it makes the most sense. I don't think he is going to be giving ultimatums or using that to negotiate. If Texas doesn't make sense then he will not go there.

But Texas is a very strategic location for Tesla and Elon wants to plant his seeds here ASAP. The politicians will come around in due time, there really is no hurry, other than to get these old laws off our books since they don't belong in this era.

Dave T, I like your business park analogy for the Giga factory. It makes a lot of sense to me that Elon would only want to be in the pack assembly business.

Think about this, what if someone comes up with a better battery than the current lithium ones Tesla is using? If Tesla is only building the packs, they can easily switch partners to take advantage of any future breakthroughs. If Tesla was actually making the lithium batteries themselves, they are wed to that technology for a very long time because of the huge investment.

Panasonic and some of the other potential partners might be realizing this and that's why they are not jumping in with both feet. They may be trying to negotiate guarantees with Tesla on future purchases.

Dave T, I like your business park analogy for the Giga factory. It makes a lot of sense to me that Elon would only want to be in the pack assembly business.

Think about this, what if someone comes up with a better battery than the current lithium ones Tesla is using? If Tesla is only building the packs, they can easily switch partners to take advantage of any future breakthroughs. If Tesla was actually making the lithium batteries themselves, they are wed to that technology for a very long time because of the huge investment.

Panasonic and some of the other potential partners might be realizing this and that's why they are not jumping in with both feet. They may be trying to negotiate guarantees with Tesla on future purchases.

I think he will build the factory to make adjustments as different cell technologies and chemistries form, but my understanding is that GF will build cells from raw materials first, then then also assemble packs. The GF is not just building packs (they do that now at Fremont), it's building cells (customized licensed) fashioning electrode, cathode, and separator. Followed by pack build for Tesla cars (and likely storage for SCTY)

I think he will build the factory to make adjustments as different cell technologies and chemistries form, but my understanding is that GF will build cells from raw materials first, then then also assemble packs. The GF is not just building packs (they do that now at Fremont), it's building cells (customized licensed) fashioning electrode, cathode, and separator. Followed by pack build for Tesla cars (and likely storage for SCTY)

Your understanding is correct, but read Dave T's post about Tesla using a "business park" setup. Panasonic would occupy a section of the factory and convert raw materials into batteries. Tesla would have a different section and take those batteries and make packs out of them. I'm saying that if another company comes along with a better battery, Tesla might buyout Panasonic's investment and move the new company into the factory. Tesla would never touch the raw materials, just focus on creating safe battery packs.

Your understanding is correct, but read Dave T's post about Tesla using a "business park" setup. Panasonic would occupy a section of the factory and convert raw materials into batteries. Tesla would have a different section and take those batteries and make packs out of them. I'm saying that if another company comes along with a better battery, Tesla might buyout Panasonic's investment and move the new company into the factory. Tesla would never touch the raw materials, just focus on creating safe battery packs.

Ahhh Gotcha. Yes I see your point. Thanks for that clarification

If I was Panasonic I'd be bending over backwards to be involved with the GF. Tesla is a big customer and a giant future customer they are going to lose if they don't figure out how to stay involved. If Tesla does this gigafactory without Panasonic, Panasonic is royally screwed.