Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Since when? 1980? Almost all actual chip making plants have long, long left California. CA environmental regulations are no joke, and chip making plants use lots of very toxic chemicals that run afoul of the CA EPA.

I was involved with setting up and running a chip plant in San Jose. Yes, it's tough. But the chemicals are toxic no matter where they are, and have to be handled the same everywhere (at least in the US...).

Anyone care to read this (brief) post and comment?
Gigafactories, batteries, and the economies of scale | duncanpredicts

The post raises a good point about the economies of scale in battery production. We're clearly already at massive scale in battery production so can a GigaFactory really make a difference? Yet I also feel this post misses the bigger picture (thinking outside of the box) where Elon and team are planning to bring the entire supply chain under one roof. This minimizes all sorts of transportation costs and you'd think it should improve production efficiency too.

Is there anyone who can make a very strong case for or against the likelihood of a 30% cost reduction on assembled packs?

Quite simply three years of continued progress in the historical 5-8% yearly range could give around 20% or so of cost reduction so GF only needs to get another 10% or so. Contrary to what he suggests I don't consider 20 years of production to be a "mature" technology with all economies of scale already achieved. Putting the equivalent of the current world production in a single factory and dealing directly with material suppliers will certainly increase cost savings and efficiency. Plus his quoted battery expert is quite wrong about the potential for future advances in lithium chemistry, there is more to be had before we get to lithium air.

I am fascinating by the apparent difference between states like Nevada who want to fast track large industrial developments vs. a state like my home state of Massachusetts when it comes to permitting a large plant like the gigafactory. To even contemplate checking on town/city permits submitted by Tesla in Mass without public meetings and local media coverage first is unthinkable here. To image a development the size of the gigafactory breaking ground essentially without everyone knowing about it first doesn't seem remotely possible. Is it really possible that Tesla could break ground in any of the four states without significant advance notice? The thought Tesla could break ground within a month without anyone knowing just doesn't see plausible. What am I missing? And please be kind to Massachusetts:smile:

You're thinking in the world of "zoning" instead of "private property." There are indeed many parts of this country where, if you own land, you can do pretty much anything you want to with it, without asking permission.

In the two rumored sites in Nevada, in particular, they appear to already be located in industrial zones. Even here in New England, if all you're doing is building a conforming structure, you just need to pull permits; no meetings or votes required.

You're thinking in the world of "zoning" instead of "private property." There are indeed many parts of this country where, if you own land, you can do pretty much anything you want to with it, without asking permission.

In the two rumored sites in Nevada, in particular, they appear to already be located in industrial zones. Even here in New England, if all you're doing is building a conforming structure, you just need to pull permits; no meetings or votes required.

Yes, As long as zoning allows certain 'uses', and many local planning boards/land use departments use the 'UDC', you just need building permits. However, different locales have different 'hoops' to jump through
as part of the permitting process. As someone who has fought over development in my county it is amazing how much local citizens can accomplish if they let it be known that even when a project is proposed for a properly zoned site how if you know the right people to call you can have a plan scrutinized in all the land use departments and hold things up for years.

I would think the biggest issue would be dealing with the environmental impact divisions of the land use departments. That is why I suspect California may eventually get the 'third' factory with Nevada and Texas getting number 1 and 2 respectively. I see those states as having the smallest restrictions environmentally and Cali having the most stringent. I suspect we will see lots of court challenges from environmental groups in Cali.

Obviously, this is all opinion/speculation on my part.

My pet peeve is when journalist call it "so called Giga Factory."

As if there is some dispute. That it will not be able to produce more than a gigawatt of batteries?
Indeed. Actually, I'd like to see GWH become the basic unit of production, as opposed to number of cars. I think this year will be about 3 GWH, while nameplate capacity for the gigafactory will be 50 GWH. That would be pretty remarkable growth in 6 or 7 years.