Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I choose to invest in the suppliers of TSLA critical components. Since I am now saturated with TSLA stocks in my allocation.

The most critical component are parts in the electrical motors. I remember seeing an article about it a long time ago and thought that Tesla has since brought that process in house. But it is not so.

Hoda 1536.tw supplies some critical parts of the electric motor. I believe this is one of those supply constrain part causing a limit.
I've also found 6282.tw and 3501.tw. They supply parts for the home charger and supercharger I believe.
There's also a company based in Cayman island. 3665.tw that makes car wireconnectors

I personally doubt this. I think we might get a hint in this conference much like we did for TSLA and then have a press conference specifically for the gigafactory later in the week. If it's as important as we all think, we don't want it to get mired in the details of an earnings call.

Yes, I expect Tesla to line up a separate conference with all of their partners. It's would be big for everybody.

I personally doubt this. I think we might get a hint in this conference much like we did for TSLA and then have a press conference specifically for the gigafactory later in the week. If it's as important as we all think, we don't want it to get mired in the details of an earnings call.

Me too. I think Elon has said that the factory would get it's own call.

- - - Updated - - -

I choose to invest in the suppliers of TSLA critical components. Since I am now saturated with TSLA stocks in my allocation.

The most critical component are parts in the electrical motors. I remember seeing an article about it a long time ago and thought that Tesla has since brought that process in house. But it is not so.

Hoda 1536.tw supplies some critical parts of the electric motor. I believe this is one of those supply constrain part causing a limit.
I've also found 6282.tw and 3501.tw. They supply parts for the home charger and supercharger I believe.
There's also a company based in Cayman island. 3665.tw that makes car wireconnectors

Another is 2231 (Cub Elecparts). Interesting that there are so many Taiwanese suppliers. How are you planning to play this? Since there are so many, I thought about the MSCI Taiwan index, but actually none of these suppliers are included in that index... are you just going to buy individual shares?

XsTbkX5.png

Me too. I think Elon has said that the factory would get it's own call.

- - - Updated - - -

Another is 2231 (Cub Elecparts). Interesting that there are so many Taiwanese suppliers. How are you planning to play this? Since there are so many, I thought about the MSCI Taiwan index, but actually none of these suppliers are included in that index... are you just going to buy individual shares?

View attachment 44060

Yeah I went ahead and bought individual shares. The MSCI Taiwan index is way too diversified. With most of the weight in computer electronics. I think 10% of it is because of Asus or some big company that I forgot the name.

So Western Lithium is only currently building a demonstration plant in Germany to gather data on their low cost extraction for Lithium carbonate. I'm not sure that TM would bet on this paying out for the Gigafactory: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/western-lithium-initiates-planned-lithium-133000976.html

Seems like the plant that Canada Lithium built in Quebec is much more viable: http://www.canadalithium.com/s/QuebecLithium.asp

By the way, Canadian Lithium is listed as TSE:RBI. I couldn't find it on the us exchange.

Anyone familiar with Lithium supply chains? I heard half of the world's LIthium is in Chile. Personally I think that it is because nobody bothered to explore for lithium in the rest of the world.

Also, are the price of importing Lithium from other continents going to be the same as locally extracted American LIthium?

Last edited:
By the way, Canadian Lithium is listed as TSE:RBI. I couldn't find it on the us exchange.

Anyone familiar with Lithium supply chains? I heard half of the world's LIthium is in Chile. Personally I think that it is because nobody bothered to explore for lithium in the rest of the world.
According to the U.S. Geologic Service, the world's lithium production and reserves looks like this:
Country2012 ProductionReserves
U.S.(withheld)38,000
Argentina2,700850,000
Australia13,0001,000,000
Brazil49046,000
Chile13,0007,500,000
China6,0003,500,000
Portugal82010,000
Zimbabwe50023,000
World total37,000 (+ US)13,000,000
The report also says about "World Resources":
The identified lithium resources total 5.5 million tons in the United States and approximately 34
million tons in other countries. Among the other countries, identified lithium resources for Bolivia and Chile total 9
million tons and in excess of 7.5 million tons, respectively. Identified lithium resources for Argentina, China, and
Australia are 6.5 million tons, 5.4 million tons, and 1.7 million tons, respectively; while Canada, Congo (Kinshasa),
Russia, and Serbia contain approximately 1 million tons each. Identified lithium resources for Brazil total 180,000
tons.
Causalien said:
Also, are the price of importing Lithium from other continents going to be the same as locally extracted American LIthium?
Almost surely. Lithium is a commodity, which ensures a single price for the same grade of product. Transportation costs allows local producers to get a small premium.

According to the U.S. Geologic Service, the world's lithium production and reserves looks like this:
Country2012 ProductionReserves
U.S.(withheld)38,000
Argentina2,700850,000
Australia13,0001,000,000
Brazil49046,000
Chile13,0007,500,000
China6,0003,500,000
Portugal82010,000
Zimbabwe50023,000
World total37,000 (+ US)13,000,000
The report also says about "World Resources":

Almost surely. Lithium is a commodity, which ensures a single price for the same grade of product. Transportation costs allows local producers to get a small premium.

Numbers are conflicting.

Table says US reserves is 38 000 but the text says US has 5.5 million tons.