Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone translate this into layman's terms please? If I'm understanding correctly, Tesla is offering $1.6B ($1.84B max) of new stocks. Half of them are to be paid back by 2019, and the other half by 2021. Interest rates and other details to be provided later... Is that everything? Is this good news?

Well Tesla is actually offering not stock, but convertible notes. How they will be converted in 2019/2021 is up to Tesla (either they give back cash or partially stock or what not) so the actual possible dilution doesn't happen until 2019/21 if at all. Do I understand it right? If so, then this is pretty much a perfect setup, no?

Text of Blog Post:

"As we at Tesla reach for our goal of producing a mass market electric car in approximately three years, we have an opportunity to leverage our projected demand for lithium ion batteries to reduce their cost faster than previously thought possible. In cooperation with strategic battery manufacturing partners, we’re planning to build a large scale factory that will allow us to achieve economies of scale and minimize costs through innovative manufacturing, reduction of logistics waste, optimization of co-located processes and reduced overhead.

The Gigafactory is designed to reduce cell costs much faster than the status quo and, by 2020, produce more lithium ion batteries annually than were produced worldwide in 2013. By the end of the first year of volume production of our mass market vehicle, we expect the Gigafactory will have driven down the per kWh cost of our battery pack by more than 30 percent. Here are some details about what the Gigafactory will look like."

Well Tesla is actually offering not stock, but convertible notes. How they will be converted in 2019/2021 is up to Tesla (either they give back cash or partially stock or what not) so the actual possible dilution doesn't happen until 2019/21 if at all. Do I understand it right? If so, then this is pretty much a perfect setup, no?

My understanding with convertible notes is that the holder (not Tesla) chooses how they want it converted (ie., into stock or cash) at the expiration date.

so the other interesting thing about this announcement is that TSLA has probably locked up something like 30-50% of WW li-ion battery capacity between existing agreements and gigafactory (assuming continued growth of existing players). Which kind of means that the other car markers need to stick to hybrids with smaller batteries or commit to building out their own factories. Over the next year or so it will become really apparent how serious existing manufacturers are about 100% EV just based on their (lack of) investment in battery manufacturing and if they really have the BEV infrastructure to compete.

Official Tesla Gigafactory Discussion Thread

so the other interesting thing about this announcement is that TSLA has probably locked up something like 30-50% of WW li-ion battery capacity between existing agreements and gigafactory (assuming continued growth of existing players). Which kind of means that the other car markers need to stick to hybrids with smaller batteries or commit to building out their own factories. Over the next year or so it will become really apparent how serious existing manufacturers are about 100% EV just based on their (lack of) investment in battery manufacturing and if they really have the BEV infrastructure to compete.

This is so true. They can't all buy from Tesla since there won't be enough cells or packs to go around + Tesla can set the price at will if the decide to LET THEM buy. The would become Tesla's b****hes...

Last edited:
Based on 17% CAGR on current LiOn battery production, Tesla will have 25% of the global battery production in 2020 at 35 GWh/Yr. Of the 75% remaining, how much of that will be allocated to other automakers? Tesla is setting itself up to be the go-to, if not only, mass supplier of batteries for EV utilization.

This is HUGE.

Remember, this 25% production only satisfies 500k car production by Tesla. Let's assume the remaining auto makers utilize 25% of the 75% left. That's 35GWh/Yr divided between any car maker that wants to manufacture EVs. However, I'm willing to bet none of these manufacturers will have the know how, technology, or even resources to come close to what Tesla is doing in the EV business, so their yield of the 35 GWh/Yr that I'm estimating here will be no where close to 500k cars that Tesla will be manufacturing. At best they'll be at 75% of what Tesla can manage based on the head start Tesla has, so call it 375k cars.

How will those 375k EVs stack up vs. Tesla's? Will there even be 375k EVs from other manufacturers by then? Will they be selling them at a gross margin as high as Tesla? Will they be as fast? As good looking? Will they have the same "want" factor as the Tesla does? If other automakers do produce 375k cars, Tesla will have 57% of the EV market.

I don't know about you guys, but this is pretty exciting.

Last edited: