Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow, incredible research by everyone here! That factory is going to be huge, looks like the current building is only like 1/5 of the eventual design.

I always wonder why they have to use solar panel to cover every sq ft of the roof. Why not leave some open spots every 10 feet or something for a sky light. Plenty of sun in Nevada.

wow, incredible research by everyone here! That factory is going to be huge, looks like the current building is only like 1/5 of the eventual design.

I always wonder why they have to use solar panel to cover every sq ft of the roof. Why not leave some open spots every 10 feet or something for a sky light. Plenty of sun in Nevada.
It's a two/three story building so sky lights would only help on the one floor. Better to capture that light to use across all floors.

Probably helps with keeping the building cooler.

If you count the pixels in this model of the Gigafactory (and assume GF dimensions of 1452' x 3956' from my previous post), you can see that there are roughly 6 ft gaps between panel sections (measuring roughly 80' x 160'), and 70 ft gaps around the perimeter and between each of the 5 panel groups. I don't think they will add skylights for the reasons previously mentioned, but they would certainly have the room if they wanted to.

new gigafactory model (top view) rotated.png

Last edited:
I kind of want to work there. The videos I've seen tell me the Fanuc robots I've dedicated myself to aren't disappearing. Brigham City, Utah to Sparks, Nevada is a pretty big distance. Working for a company that knows what to do with me would be a nice change.

Great update! Looks like the building is only two story tall.

not in a traditional sense, there are two main levels and a mezzanine but the levels are very tall so compared to normal office building it is way taller than a 2 story tall building.

Office buildings are about 10 feet per story, Gigafactory 1 is over 70ft tall so that would be about 6 or 7 stories tall vs an office building.

Read around Tesla Gigafactory (page 26) and watch the videos if you want more data. Tesla Gigafactory is my post liking to the 3rd snippit, a couple of posts above has the rest or you can watch it on youtube and find the other two.

If you want to see them in order watch the 30 minute one first, the 5 minute one second, and the 16 minute one third.

He discusses the water / plumbing and floor heights in the 5 minute section.

Last edited: