Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has allegedly activated a selfie cam Driver Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Why do you say "allegedly"? We have screenshots of the releases note for 2021.4.15.11 that show the feature is real.

Tesla-DMS-scaled.jpg

Reactions: buckets0fun
I'm still on the old pre-xmas pre-ruined-UI 2020 firmware on my 2019 m3.

the internal camera has had tape over it for the last year, since I didn't know when they'd want to turn on the switch.

I'm now wondering: how long can I continue to use the firmware that I have now (my setting for updates is to NOT have bleeding edge updates and I also have removed all my wifi accounts from the car; it does still have lte and it does still have the $10/mo connectivity plan) ?

I have refused the updates because of the UI changes. the car did download that aweful UI update but since I never installed it, I think after a reboot of the car happened a few weeks ago, I have not had it nag me to install any new versions. it still on the old UI version, today, still.

I like having radar. I like the old UI and I dont want anything to really change. if there was a LOCK DOWN button, I'd press it. but there isn't.

I wonder when a firm statement might come from tesla saying what the fate of people like me will be.

I'm 100% ok with the steering wheel nags. I am! totally fine with that. in fact, since I learned about just kicking the volume control thumbwheel up and down when it nags, its even safer now since there's no need to even tug on the wheel. tell the car you're still there by turning the knob. same as steering wheel tugs, and again, that's the car I bought.

I did not buy a car that would need to have an internal camera pointed at me. and so I'm hoping I can continue to refuse updates, and if there is a forced one, that there would be an option to go with the old wheel tug/nag system.

this could be a dealbreaker for me. I do not want any cameras pointed at me while I drive that I didn't put there, myself. its just how I feel. and the car that I bought did not need them and the tape over the cam didn't change the car's behavior one bit over the last 1.5 years I've had it.

I'm really curious at what point I'm going to be forced to make a decision I dont want to. I dont want to sell the car, but I dont want to be forced to accept this new direction, either. same with losing radar. not acceptable to me. my car came with it and I insist it stays enabled and functional.

the internal camera has had tape over it for the last year, since I didn't know when they'd want to turn on the switch.

I'm now wondering: how long can I continue to use the firmware that I have now (my setting for updates is to NOT have bleeding edge updates and I also have removed all my wifi accounts from the car; it does still have lte and it does still have the $10/mo connectivity plan) ?

I have refused the updates because of the UI changes. the car did download that aweful UI update but since I never installed it, I think after a reboot of the car happened a few weeks ago, I have not had it nag me to install any new versions. it still on the old UI version, today, still.

I like having radar. I like the old UI and I dont want anything to really change. if there was a LOCK DOWN button, I'd press it. but there isn't.

I wonder when a firm statement might come from tesla saying what the fate of people like me will be.

I'm 100% ok with the steering wheel nags. I am! totally fine with that. in fact, since I learned about just kicking the volume control thumbwheel up and down when it nags, its even safer now since there's no need to even tug on the wheel. tell the car you're still there by turning the knob. same as steering wheel tugs, and again, that's the car I bought.

I did not buy a car that would need to have an internal camera pointed at me. and so I'm hoping I can continue to refuse updates, and if there is a forced one, that there would be an option to go with the old wheel tug/nag system.

this could be a dealbreaker for me. I do not want any cameras pointed at me while I drive that I didn't put there, myself. its just how I feel. and the car that I bought did not need them and the tape over the cam didn't change the car's behavior one bit over the last 1.5 years I've had it.

I'm really curious at what point I'm going to be forced to make a decision I dont want to. I dont want to sell the car, but I dont want to be forced to accept this new direction, either. same with losing radar. not acceptable to me. my car came with it and I insist it stays enabled and functional.

Depends on whether you want streaming services in the car to work, I guess. See this post in the software subform where someone who refuses to update got a popup on the screen about streaming services soon requiring the updated firmware.

If you dont care about that, or about FSD, and dont have any issues with your car that require a service center, you could likely continue doing what you are doing. The second you take your car in for service, or have ANY issue with it you feel is a warranty issue, the first thing they will do is update the software, or tell you to do the same.

Thats the downside of having feature updates etc be OTA pushes, and buying a connected car. If you want it to just be a car though, you can simply keep driving it without those features.

All the angst about the "ruined UI" isnt much different than the people complaining about panel gaps and such. Its a bit overblown, even if some of the points are valid. if you install it, it might annoy you for a week or two tops, then you simply wont notice it, just like every other UI change almost everywhere (websites, etc).

I'm ok with losing streaming movies and music. as long as usb files work for playback, I'm ok with losing even lte audio streaming. I guess at that point, might as well drop the $10/mo lte fee. I never used live maps with traffic; I just want maps of SOME SORT to keep working. wondering if they 'have to' keep giving you that, at least?

I'm serious about all this. I want to know what I'm up for, in the near and not so near future. if I have to sell, I want to sell before the curve gets ruined.

don't think I'm the only one thinking this, either. lots will reject a car that insists on being too different (in a bad way) from how you BOUGHT it.

and yes, that's a key sticking point.

I almost hope this forces them to have a dual software track, like all real software companies do that support both apps and platforms. have a bugfix release that is decoupled from features and ui changes. we all want that. and its long overdue.

I'm happy to take driver and bugfix updates. update my kernel and ip-stack and wifi drivers. sure. update the maps. yup, fine.

but do not change major modes on me or remove stuff that was working when I took delivery of the car. to me, that's a legal line that one should not cross.

give us bugfixes. to me, that's the left side of that software update button. I long switched from the right side to the left side, to tell tesla 'keep your cotton picking hands off my car, dammit'.

Reactions: Redbrick
lets agree to disagree what it means to 'evolve'.

for example, I stopped updating my android phone a long long time ago when all that ended up doing is having features removed, screens moved around and more spam coming in (not less). android is a sh-show, most of us know that, but the point is still that I can refuse updates and if I'm 'happy' with the UI and want to freeze it, its not a vendor's place to undo that.

so again, its not unreasonable to want a dual update strat; one that covers just fixes and security and the other is the features and UI.

at some point, I do expect this to be put down in law. its just not defined now (too new) but the whole idea of being forced to accept changes that put the car backwards in look/feel (according to the only one that matters; the owner) - I don't think that will stand for the long-term. I do expect there to be a user lock button, of some kind, on products that have an OTA channel.

I like the cut of your jib.

What gets under my skin is the aftermath of an accident that creates headlines. Ntsb investigates... And tesla takes their data, and the drivers actions, and puts it out there for all to see. F that. Did you ask the victims family first? Did they sign off on this when they bought the car? Does tesla plan to release video of drivers behaving badly if they are in a deadly crash?
I would be a camera coverup per too if I knew what I do in my car could be released on the internet.

I'm ok with losing streaming movies and music. as long as usb files work for playback, I'm ok with losing even lte audio streaming. I guess at that point, might as well drop the $10/mo lte fee. I never used live maps with traffic; I just want maps of SOME SORT to keep working. wondering if they 'have to' keep giving you that, at least?

I'm serious about all this. I want to know what I'm up for, in the near and not so near future. if I have to sell, I want to sell before the curve gets ruined.

don't think I'm the only one thinking this, either. lots will reject a car that insists on being too different (in a bad way) from how you BOUGHT it.

and yes, that's a key sticking point.

I almost hope this forces them to have a dual software track, like all real software companies do that support both apps and platforms. have a bugfix release that is decoupled from features and ui changes. we all want that. and its long overdue.

I'm happy to take driver and bugfix updates. update my kernel and ip-stack and wifi drivers. sure. update the maps. yup, fine.

but do not change major modes on me or remove stuff that was working when I took delivery of the car. to me, that's a legal line that one should not cross.

give us bugfixes. to me, that's the left side of that software update button. I long switched from the right side to the left side, to tell tesla 'keep your cotton picking hands off my car, dammit'.

/me whispers

hey, hey you, pssst, you bought a tesla. They are known for their ota updates...

selfish?

I dont think you understood what I was trying to say. I dont want to suppress ota updates as a whole and I certainly dont want to suppress them for those that want the new updated features. all I'm asking is a 'do not disturb' button to stop updates other than truly critical ones from happening to MY car.

why would that offend anyone? I'm not asking to take anything away from anyone!

I'm asking for users have have lockdown choice on their car. their $50k car. lets remember that. it matters.