Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has ruined me for life...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about the Volt? It's a serial hybrid when the battery is dead, so it will drive like an EV with the seamless torque. Whenever you can get charging it will be a full EV for the next 50 miles. You'll get something like 40 mpg. And it's inexpensive and reliable.

I can speak to first impressions going from ice to ev... Coming my from a BMW M4, tesla model s felt very much like my current car.. (and the model 3 felt like a bargain) Any normal Toyota or Honda is going to be painful comparison...

Here in florida they passed a new right to charge law, that makes it so condos cant deny charging as long as owner is willing to pay for installation.

I was kind of shocked, as Florida is usually a slow adaption state...

Good luck, let us know what you get...

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
I'm going to sound mean but... what? What the hell are you doing?

First of all you live in SoCal... there is NO WAY that a charging problem is a possibility. I live in the Bay Area in a old rent controlled apartment has very limited electrical infrastructure but I still find a way to make my Model S work for me charging wise. I have Volta, Chargepoint, and two Superchargers close by. You're telling me that SoCal, a part of the state that Tesla was born in, is somehow the opposite?

Sounds like you just can't handle the minor adjustment to your life. Yes you need to find a charging spot. Yes you need to maybe take an hour out of your life per week to find a Supercharger and charge up your car. I refuse to believe that living with your Model S was actually a 'living hell'.

So the deal with my charging situation at my condo is this:

Before I leased the car, my condo property manager said getting power at my spot wouldn't be a problem. After signing the lease, 5 electricians confirmed lack of electrical infrastructure to support an additional circuit. It wasn't my property manager's fault; she just wasn't aware of the requirements. A $100k infrastructure upgrade is needed and the HOA isn't willing to take the hit on the reserves. I've sent out homeowner surveys, looked for grants, called every California EV group possible, and even emailed Tesla, all to no avail.

@OilSucks - I'm tired of getting up at 4am to Supercharge for an hour before work twice a week. I'm tired of making trips to Los Angeles or Palm Springs, planning the entire trip around charging. I'm tired of waiting in lines at Superchargers only to wait another hour to charge. I'm tired of visiting friends out of town and having to ask to plug my car in at their house. If I could charge at home, I would probably feel differently. This has been a major lifestyle change and I'm absolutely sick of it, honestly. I paid my last 2 lease payments ($1600) early JUST to get rid of the damned thing and be done with it. I would rather burn $1600 than keep it another day.

I bought a hybrid Wednesday and cannot WAIT to spend 3 minutes pumping gas to get 600 miles of driving. :) Sure, it's going to be like driving a tampon compared to the Tesla but, I will gladly deal with it versus having to charge.

If Tesla works for you, I truly am happy for you. They are extremely fun to drive and are sexy as hell! My experience just wasn't the best.

So, my 3-year lease on my Model S ends July 7, 2019. In preparation, I've begun looking for a replacement vehicle. Unfortunately, I cannot get another all-electric EV as I don't have a place to charge at my condo (LONG story). So having a Model S the past 3 years have been an absolute living hell; I love the car, hate the "charging" part. Again, this is a long and complicated story but has been a lesson learned.
Yep; I'm in the same situation. Turning in my 2016 Model S 90D next Saturday after a three-year lease. We have a home charger (240v; 50a) powered by a solar PV array, so electric is THE way to go for us. Yet, we can't find an 'optimal' replacement vehicle. A new MX would be nice, but with Tesla's daily-changing offerings and incentives, I'm not even sure they'll be around three years from now. Jaguar's I-Pace is a consideration, but without Tesla's Supercharger infrastructure I'm not informed enough to know where/how/when to charge on the road without a Tesla.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 39
First of all you live in SoCal... there is NO WAY that a charging problem is a possibility.

Have you seen how bad the lines are at superchargers ever since the explosion of Model 3s?

I stopped going to them in general now unless i absolutely need to because the most people in so cal are all RUDE, feel they are ENTITLED to every last thing, and i just dont want to deal with them.

So unless its different in No. Cali, you really need to come down here and check it out.
Also bring a 2x4 or a steel bat, because after all the BS you listen to from people here, you will probably want to swing it at them.

@Heathman
I can totally understand your fustration.
If i had to wait in those super charger lines as my life line i would go mad as well.
I dont ever recommend this car or even a model 3 to any of my friends unless they can get a charger at home.
I even ask them to confirm they can do it, and while they do get a TOU meter as separate.

If i was in your shoes, a hybrid would most definitely be my choice as well.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I might just settle for a fully-loaded Honda Accord Hybrid. The CVT is the closest thing to a smooth transmission, similar (albeit loosely) to the Tesla.

personal opinion, but the CVT of the Accord (actually, almost all CVT's) sounds like an endless monotone drill in my ears.
if you have to go ICE or Hybrid, i' d suggest to look into an automatic transmission (BMW, Benz, Audi...

again, buying a car (after a Tesla), it's kinda discouraging...good luck!

Tesla charging network is just a bonus the way I see it. Tesla, as a company, should not obligated to solely meet the charging facility coverage. They sell cars and to fill the gap in the scarcity of the public/private charging infrastructure they were proactive and have built a charging network to accelerate the EV adoption. The lack of adequate and high quality public/private charging infrastructure is the real issue. I'm sure no one was blaming Ford for the lack of ample gas stations in the early days. Tesla has done its part, and done it amazingly with the superchargers/destination chargers. It's now up to the public/private sectors to step up.

So the deal with my charging situation at my condo is this:

Before I leased the car, my condo property manager said getting power at my spot wouldn't be a problem. After signing the lease, 5 electricians confirmed lack of electrical infrastructure to support an additional circuit. It wasn't my property manager's fault; she just wasn't aware of the requirements. A $100k infrastructure upgrade is needed and the HOA isn't willing to take the hit on the reserves. I've sent out homeowner surveys, looked for grants, called every California EV group possible, and even emailed Tesla, all to no avail.

@OilSucks - I'm tired of getting up at 4am to Supercharge for an hour before work twice a week. I'm tired of making trips to Los Angeles or Palm Springs, planning the entire trip around charging. I'm tired of waiting in lines at Superchargers only to wait another hour to charge. I'm tired of visiting friends out of town and having to ask to plug my car in at their house. If I could charge at home, I would probably feel differently. This has been a major lifestyle change and I'm absolutely sick of it, honestly. I paid my last 2 lease payments ($1600) early JUST to get rid of the damned thing and be done with it. I would rather burn $1600 than keep it another day.

I bought a hybrid Wednesday and cannot WAIT to spend 3 minutes pumping gas to get 600 miles of driving. :) Sure, it's going to be like driving a tampon compared to the Tesla but, I will gladly deal with it versus having to charge.

If Tesla works for you, I truly am happy for you. They are extremely fun to drive and are sexy as hell! My experience just wasn't the best.

Awesome. You’ll definitely find things to like about your new car that you didn’t have in the Tesla. When you’re ready for the next car, it will be a different market and you’ll probably be driving electric again soon.

I just bought an ICE for my 16 year old. I would have loved to get her a Model 3, and almost did - but it dawned on me that having to worry about electric vehicle charging should not be a college kid problem. I’m sure most schools have a fair few chargers - but who knows. Next car, for sure.

So i live in a condo as well that i'm pretty sure that does not have charging available. It's old 1950s build i think.

I visited supercharger that is 5 miles away from my condo and out of 10 spots 2 were used, one model S, one model 3. It's in ABT electronics/appliances store parking lot.

I was under impression 40min at S.C charges up to 90% from lets say 15%. In mean time I would go to abt store or get something to eat near by or order uber to get me to the some chipotle or something like that. In summer maybe putting bicycle in the rear hatch of S and ride it to the chipotle. Is this a stretch @Heathman ?

Is that not feasible solution for charging. Will one get tired of doing this?

So i live in a condo as well that i'm pretty sure that does not have charging available. It's old 1950s build i think.

I visited supercharger that is 5 miles away from my condo and out of 10 spots 2 were used, one model S, one model 3. It's in ABT electronics/appliances store parking lot.

I was under impression 40min at S.C charges up to 90% from lets say 15%. In mean time I would go to abt store or get something to eat near by or order uber to get me to the some chipotle or something like that. In summer maybe putting bicycle in the rear hatch of S and ride it to the chipotle. Is this a stretch @Heathman ?

Is that not feasible solution for charging. Will one get tired of doing this?
If you can get a regular 20 amp 120 volt outlet installed to near where you park, your life will be much easier. Trickle charging works for almost everyone, and it is a very rare panel that does not have room to add a single circuit or extend a rarely used circuit.

Reactions: erik_k
If you can get a regular 20 amp 120 volt outlet installed to near where you park, your life will be much easier. Trickle charging works for almost everyone, and it is a very rare panel that does not have room to add a single circuit or extend a rarely used circuit.
Agree with this. Your condo may not have the infrastructure to support a high-amperage line, but a regular 110-120 volt outlet should be much more doable and if you’re plugged in at all times while at home, it adds up and can make it work, even if it’s not ideal. I have a friend with a MS 75 who does exactly this - with a large gauge 25ft extension cord run out to his parking spot, actually. He’s been charging this way for almost 3 years and it works for him. A super heavy duty 25ft extension cord is only $100 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle
A bit late to the party here, but am considering a CPO Model S as my next car. To the OP, if you could afford to lease your Model S new, I"m not sure why you were shopping $40kish Acuras. Of course they wont feel comparable. Try test driving stuff that's similar in price to a Model S like an S7 (even RS7), BMW M550 or M5, MB E53 or e63, Panamera S, etc.. Sure those cars will cost you more in fuel, but again, if you can afford the $1k+ Model S lease payment I dont think fuel costs are going to be big concern. Personally, if I could afford a new Model S, I'd probaly get a Panamera 4S or e-hybrid instead. Such a sexy looking car with amazing quality, beautiful interior and performance.

However, down in the 35-45k a used Model S with a 4 year warranty from Tesla starts to make more sense and the gas cost savings becomes a bigger consideration. A similarly priced used Panamera would be the last-gen version which is one of the ugliest cars ever made. A 530e is an interesting suggestion- I haven't driven one so can't personally recommend. I tend to dislike 4 cylinder engines, but the electric motor means that the usual slight vibrations at idle wouldnt be a factor.

Tesla no longer has a CPO program. They just sell used cars. (i.e. non-Certified.)
Ha - slip of the tongue. Yes, I knew that. Honestly, it doesn't really matter since "CPO" itself is just a marketing term that's been adopted by many automakers now. Doesnt really mean anything than what a particular company says it means. In some ways, Tesla's "used" program is similar those in that it offers a factory warranty beyond the original one and goes through some inspection (albeit basic). The big difference appears to be that appear to make no efforts at detailing the cars (which even dealers selling non CPO cars from other makes tend to do).