Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla hate.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be a contrarian and question whether it is appropriate to conclude this or many of the other keying Tesla videos was driven by Tesla-specific hate. What evidence do we have that Teslas are keyed at a higher rate than any other vehicle? As a recent buyer, these sorts of posts initially made me paranoid but I've yet to experience anything even remotely to what I'd call Tesla hate (in fact I've experienced quite the opposite). Perhaps things are different in other areas of the country but I'd contend that the availability of Sentry Cam footage amplifies these incidents beyond what most of us should be concerned about.

I started a free "Teslas and Coffee" monthly gathering and marketed it on Facebook to get the word out...
you wouldn't believe the volume of hate comments posted on those advertisements spewed towards all things Tesla, including personal attacks on owners. That caught me a little off guard. Haters gonna hate! Obviously pretty small-minded individual if you "hate" a car, and attach that towards their owners.

It's probably TESLAQ.

I have been kicked off forums just for saying I liked my model 3, and correcting false information. Reason, I am lying and misleading people, and just trying to justify my purchase :) I'm lying because there is no way I have 5 other gas vehicles (quads, UTVs truck and SUV) and still think the model 3 is great.

Hate is real for sure.

Last edited:
I think the reasons are simple and not so simple at the same time.
1. Misinformation: a lot of people are told that this company is going to eliminate a lot of car manufacturer jobs, that this is a left wing company trying to push environmental propaganda, blah blah blah.
2. Human nature: people can be reluctant and afraid of change.
3. Human nature a nastier side: people can be jealous and envious, why does that person have something nicer than me? let's break it! I deserve better than them, forget how hard the other person has worked to achieve whatever they have achieved.

I am in no means saying that everyone is like the people I am describing, but I am saying the people being caught on these videos fall into some of these categories.

I have not been targeted by any of these behaviors, just some of my friends asking about range limitations, range anxiety, service availability but not in a hateful way.

Once I was stopped outside of a store by an older gentleman in a huge pickup truck. he asked me if I owned the car since I was standing next to it, I said yes wondering where this was going. We spent about 30 minutes in the parking lot with me answering questions about the car, he was very curious about how it worked, charging, range, etc. It was very a very pleasant encounter.

It's probably TESLAQ.

I have been kicked off forums just for saying I liked my model 3, and correcting false information. Reason, I am lying and misleading people, and just trying to justify my purchase :) I'm lying because there is no way I have 5 other gas vehicles (quads, UTVs truck and SUV) and still think the model 3 is great.

It is quite interesting when you read some of these posts assuming that these people had so many problems with their model 3 (or s/x) that they just gave up and went back to their Honda Accord or BMW etc.

The things we all hear like the paint peeling off, panels are all lopsided, stranded everywhere because there is nowhere to charge -- and then having to sit around for hours waiting for a charge. How the interior is so sparse it's like an econobox car, car spontaneously catching fire, autopilot driving into the sides of trucks, the battery will be no good in a few years etc etc.

But then you find out they have never even been inside one, and only seen one drive past or looked at pictures.

How can you possibly form such an opinionated stance without even sitting in one??

Every person I have ever taken for a ride in my RWD LR have been blown away. If I would let them drive it I am sure they would be in even more shock!

On the contrary, I've experienced no hate personally. The wife and I have both seen a lot of kids on school buses excitedly pointing at the car. We experienced FAR more "random" hate and aggression/coal-rolling/whatever driving our Honda Fit. The signal on these events is just inflated with Tesla IMO because there's a fan following around it. Not so much for a Honda Fit, which is "just a car".

It's probably TESLAQ.

Hate is real for sure.

While I don't really know what TSLAQ is except that I'm accused of being part of it for pointing out the car isn't perfect for everyone, I don't think blaming one group of "activists" is correct. (I especially like those who claim we don't actually own a Tesla because I couldn't possibly dislike any aspect of the car or the company if we owned one...)

People dislike any specific car brand or type (like small hatchbacks), sometimes outwardly and inappropriately. I dislike BMW cars. A neighbour of mine hated Honda (actually any Japanese car) enough to call me some choice names for driving one despite otherwise not talking to me much. That doesn't mean we're part of some group intending for a stock to tank and a company to go bankrupt. It's just not a brand that a particular person happens to like.

I think it has to do with two things mostly. First one is, even the Model 3 is an expensive car for most people. So I think there is a certain amount of jealousy which turns into hate by assuming you are a rich A-hole. Number two, is the perception that everyone who drives a Tesla thinks they are better than you cause they aren't poisoning the planet while your filthy self does in your gas car.

If you go to Tesla official forums and go into general and read around a little, you will quickly see where someone might get a negative impression of a "holier than though" "entitled" Tesla owner. I am not accusing anyone, just stating you could see how someone might get that perception and turn some hate towards Tesla owners.

it could be, but I have never been "coal rolled" or just "flipped off" for driving down the street in other cars. I have in the Tesla a few times for no reason at all.

Where do you live that people just flip you off because of the car you drive? That sounds terrible. :) Then again, are you sure their drive-by flippings are due to the car you drive? Could just be your driving. :p

You're just insulated in a cocoon of niceness up in Canada though. ;)

Heeeck no. If I go one province over I'll be surrounded by coal-rollers, guaranteed!

I think it has to do with two things mostly. First one is, even the Model 3 is an expensive car for most people. So I think there is a certain amount of jealousy which turns into hate by assuming you are a rich A-hole. Number two, is the perception that everyone who drives a Tesla thinks they are better than you cause they aren't poisoning the planet while your filthy self does in your gas car.

The number of people that think our Model 3 is a $100,000+ car simply because it's a Tesla is crazy. Chevy Bolt and Model 3 SR+ are similar in price, but people will still think the Tesla costs way more. That said, in Canada, their perception isn't far off for a Model 3 LR AWD. We'd never spend this much on a gas car, not even close.

I do however enjoy joking with coworkers about their filthy peasant dinosaur cars (they start it sometimes), so I guess I'm part of the problem :D

I think the reasons are simple and not so simple at the same time.
1. Misinformation: a lot of people are told that this company is going to eliminate a lot of car manufacturer jobs, that this is a left wing company trying to push environmental propaganda, blah blah blah.
2. Human nature: people can be reluctant and afraid of change.
3. Human nature a nastier side: people can be jealous and envious, why does that person have something nicer than me? let's break it! I deserve better than them, forget how hard the other person has worked to achieve whatever they have achieved.

I am in no means saying that everyone is like the people I am describing, but I am saying the people being caught on these videos fall into some of these categories.

I have not been targeted by any of these behaviors, just some of my friends asking about range limitations, range anxiety, service availability but not in a hateful way.

Once I was stopped outside of a store by an older gentleman in a huge pickup truck. he asked me if I owned the car since I was standing next to it, I said yes wondering where this was going. We spent about 30 minutes in the parking lot with me answering questions about the car, he was very curious about how it worked, charging, range, etc. It was very a very pleasant encounter.

Mostly number 3 but also a huge amount of mis-information. I bought mine despite my two best friends telling me I was making a big mistake. The first said "people are dying in Teslas!", the second said "They flat out do not work. They don't actually work it's a fad". Now they both plan to buy the Model S in the near future.

And there are Tesla haters, those who specifically dislike both the cars and the owners. Similar to identity politics...

I get mixed effects wrt our MX and M3. The majority of the time people are indifferent or ask me lots of EV and Tesla questions - charging, range, features, cold weather performance etc. However I have been coal rolled multiple times and my wife had a bunch of teenagers write obscenities in the road muck on her MX in Truckee CA of all places.

I get mixed effects wrt our MX and M3. The majority of the time people are indifferent or ask me lots of EV and Tesla questions - charging, range, features, cold weather performance etc. However I have been coal rolled multiple times and my wife had a bunch of teenagers write obscenities in the road muck on her MX in Truckee CA of all places.
In all fairness most people ARE indifferent and lots are curious and ask lots of polite questions, and they most certainly outweigh the haters.

In the Bay Area there are so many nice cars and Teslas that I think most of the hate directed our way here is “nice car” hate. I’ve gotten some hate a few times in situations where I wondered if it was my car, but honestly think it was more down to my gender.

Type of car also makes a difference. When I drove my partner’s X1, I’d get cut off constantly. In my 335i and Model 3, people generally don’t do that.

Reactions: TesslAshanti