Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hate?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent a message to a host on Airbnb and asked if their home had an outlet that could be used to charge a Tesla. The Airbnb rental was for a whole house rental in WV, in an area with no superchargers. As soon as I mentioned Tesla, he denied my booking request. I asked about bringing a different car. Nope. This was so bizarre. Have you encountered anything like this? I would pay extra for electricity use, so I wouldn't expect anything extra for no cost. Weird.

I sent a message to a host on Airbnb and asked if their home had an outlet that could be used to charge a Tesla. The Airbnb rental was for a whole house rental in WV, in an area with no superchargers. As soon as I mentioned Tesla, he denied my booking request. I asked about bringing a different car. Nope. This was so bizarre. Have you encountered anything like this? I would pay extra for electricity use, so I wouldn't expect anything extra for no cost. Weird.
Why is it weird? Airbnb hosts cannot charge you separately for utilities. How is the property owner expected to recoup those costs?

Mailing a check later doesn’t really work either if it is a rental property and other guests will be on-site throughout the course of the electric billing cycle, whatever that happens to look like.

And it’s not “Tesla hate” it’s “excessive use of electricity”. I’m sure it also applies to Ford and Porsche EVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: buckets0fun
I visit some other automotive forums and I’ve seen some irrational Tesla hatred (as well as some OTT fanboys too).

As an anti-EV person I can contribute to the above observations.

There is no reason a homeowner will want to pay for someone else's transportation costs, especially if the profit margin is already thin.

They may also be concerned about fire risk and loss of life and property, especially if extension cords are involved.

They may also be concerned about the stigma of an EV in a conservative area, although this is just speculation.

If there are no superchargers, I'd suggest any public charger. I know they are sparse in many areas, and I doubt WV is an EV hotspot, but there may be something.

Or, as has been suggested, bring your sweet C7 and not have to worry about recharging at all :cool:

Last edited:

Now that's really weird, have you tried to contact AIRBNB support to at least file a report about it. The host can at least say that they don't have an outlet for Tesla cars before rejecting your booking request.

Now that's really weird, have you tried to contact AIRBNB support to at least file a report about it. The host can at least say that they don't have an outlet for Tesla cars before rejecting your booking request.
File a report for what? I don’t think vehicle ownership falls into the same category as gender, religion, or sexual orientation.

Though I’m sure many around here wish that it would…

As an anti-EV person I can contribute to the above observations.

There is no reason a homeowner will want to pay for someone else's transportation costs, especially if the profit margin is already thin.

They may also be concerned about fire risk and loss of life and property, especially if extension cords are involved.

They may also be concerned about the stigma of an EV in a conservative area, although this is just speculation.

If there are no superchargers, I'd suggest any public charger. I know they are sparse in many areas, and I doubt WV is an EV hotspot, but there may be something.

Or, as has been suggested, bring your sweet C7 and not have to worry about recharging at all :cool:
I live in a 'mostly conservative' neighborhood and people know that if they give any of us trouble over our EVs and rooftop solar they might just get shot. Plus, they all know we can out run any of their slow assed Mopar POS's so they can't escape the wrath. The whole, 'only liberals own Tesla's' stereotype is naïve and so out of touch.

As I said, just speculation. I've been to WV multiple times and its a beautiful state but historically dedicated to coal mining and traditional conservative values.

I personally like knowing that the stereotype is getting outdated. One of the reasons my instincts are so anti-EV/anti-Tesla is because of the relationship of liberals/progressives to being anti-ICE/pro-EV. It's something that I struggle with personally but thanks partially to interaction on this forum I'm (slowly, partially) overcoming. :)

I understand. I have noticed there are a few on this board that fit that description. I simply ignore them. it's a waste of time trying to discuss issues with their uncompromising 'liberalism'. I can only speak for my own reasons for EV and rooftop solar adoption. I live in a place that has 350 days/yr of sunshine so my solar makes economic sense for me. Almost no dependence on the regulated utilities. My EV gets charged mostly from the solar so that is an added bonus on top of the fact that it's one cool car to drive and faster than anything on the street, and it's Made in America. I believe there's a need for a variety of power sources, but that's my stodgy old capitalist belief that diversification is a good thing.

I see your point exactly, ZilWin. Nice to meet you.

As I mentioned in a thread I started last June I recognize that EV's have some advantages over regular cars and that I will likely wind up in one someday. I hope to keep my S Class Benz about 10 years and make the change at that point. I'm sure some of the disadvantages of EV's will be mitigated at that point and I'll have more options and value.

No quite 'From my cold dead hands' but something like that. One Second Amendment guy to another :cool:

Reactions: ZilWin
My GF had a 07 SL550 and a 73 450sl before that. Got my hands plenty dirty on both of them. Over engineered German POSs I used to call them but both were the epitome of luxury and sport in their time. Loved to drive both of them esp the 550. I had a Kia Stinger with the Lambda V6 twin turbo before the Tesla. That was a fun fast car with more BMW and Benz in it than Kia. Tesla could take a page from Mercedes or BMW and put some luxury engineering into their technology platform. I was just saying that to some people at an EV car show last weekend and almost all of the Tesla owners agreed.

My S Class is also a 550. I wouldn’t call it over engineered but it certainly is thoroughly engineered. You know the Germans….

One of my dream cars is a 1970s 450 SL. If I could find one in a beautiful root beer brown with a tan leather interior. One of my dream cars.

My S Class is also a 550. I wouldn’t call it over engineered but it certainly is thoroughly engineered. You know the Germans….

One of my dream cars is a 1970s 450 SL. If I could find one in a beautiful root beer brown with a tan leather interior. One of my dream cars.
1635431532715.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MaskedRacerX

I was curious so I looked up the average cost for electricity in WV, and rounding up a bit it's ~$0.10/kWh. Now if you were doing a full charge __every__day__, like an actual 0-100% (which nobody does ...), even with only 80% charging efficiency, that's ~$9.84 a day.

And that's a pretty absurd use case, when we stay at ABNB/VRBO houses, we park on day one, and mostly don't get back into the car until the day we leave, but even if we did a small driving chore (like going to the store for supplies), we're talking trivial distances.

So maybe they have no understanding of charging/costs (which wouldn't be surprising, when I talk to people around here, they're stunned at the low operating costs), they might think it would cost them $50+ a day or something.

=or=

It's something else, and given you were willing to drive a different car, that's pretty telling. F*** 'em :)

Reactions: Physicslawyer