TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla hiring full new shift? 2013 deliveries of 27,000 cars?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by DonPedro, Jun 12, 2013.

1. DonPedro

DonPedro Member

As has been reported on this forum, Tesla are hiring what looks like a full new shift: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17598-2Q-2013-Model-S-Deliveries-Potential-Surprise/page8?p=361317&viewfull=1#post361317

What they have previously guided is that they will keep the current production volume of approx. 400/week while trying to get all the work to fit within one shift (currently there is overtime or double shifts on some of the tasks). Furthermore, they have said that they will exit 2013 with a run rate of maybe 24k cars per year, which would imply adding one shift in December.

Are they going to start up the second shift earlier? Does this mean that production volumes will double starting in July? (Or August). Will they deliver 27k cars this year then? What will this do to 25% GM in Q4?

And what does all of this portend for the share price?

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

The postings I've seen is for a graveyard shift. They've been posted over 30 days ago. It looks more like an end-of-quarter rush.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Tesla+Motors&l=Fremont%2C+CA&rbt=Metal+Body+Finishing+-+Auto+Body&jtid=bb0635dfda535f78&filter=0

3. ShortSlaver

ShortSlaver Member

It seems crazy to think these jobs could contribute this soon. They're looking for experienced workers but to get them hired (not easy if you have standards) and up to speed will take a few months at best.

I believe these jobs are to begin full contribution in September or October.

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

IIRC, Metal Body Finishing is one of the bottlenecks that needs two shifts to complete.

Once you see hiring for all other positions in large quantities, then we can start speculating that a second full time shift will start full-time

5. ShortSlaver

ShortSlaver Member

Careers | Tesla Motors

Among others...

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

Ok, I looked at that one and it says day shift at the top. Then is says swing shift in the body, that is why I got confused.

I have seen ads for night shift over a month ago as well.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Could they be building a team to make the Model X? Timing seems right. Surprise the market

8. toastypasta

toastypasta Member

hmmm i wonder if all this battery swapping is just rumors and that this is going to be the announcement next week.

9. deonb

deonb Active Member

Elon would have some serious explanation to do to Kevin in that case...

Elon, Stockholders meeting 6/4/2013:

kevin99:
    You recently tweeted about that it may take less time charging a Model S would take actually less time than filling a tank of gas. Is the recent announcement that it is 20 minutes. Is that it now?
    Elon: No. That is not it. That is not it. I would say, you should... I mentioned there will be an announcement on June 20th, in fact, not an announcement, but a demonstration. Live demonstration.
    http://www.teslamotors.com/2013shareholdermeeting 40:45

10. toastypasta

toastypasta Member

AHH very valid point indeed. (Though i still think battery swapping is what we'll see)

11. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

12. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

13. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Thanks, I should have said complete listing of Tesla job openings in Palo Alto and Fremont, California. Particularly the latter is significant regarding a ramp-up in production that may be of great interest to investors.
    http://www.indeed.com/q-Tesla-Motors-jobs.html

14. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

Did the careers page accidentally reveal the location of the new stores and service centers? A number of the locations on that page don't currently exist, and have not been announced.