Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Illuminated Door Sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Not noticed these before so seems like they're a new addition.

£220 seems a lot to add a bit of light to the door sills but they do look good:

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R
Ooooh. Was not expecting the link to be an official Tesla thing.

If I hadn't already had my sills PPF'd I'd be interested in this.

I can't make sense of the instructions though, can't figure out what (or why) you have to do stuff with the doors. o_O

From the instructions, there doesn't look to be any power connections, so they must have a battery. The attachment to the underside of the door looks to be a magnet, so I assume that switches the led off when the door is closed.

EDIT - I skipped straight to the instructions and didn't read the description :D:
Each sill is activated by a magnetic switch and powered by a long-lasting battery with LEDs for seamless installation.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Ah yeah.. I can see now.. C and D in the instructions are templates for fitting the two B magnetic pad things to the underside of the doors.

I think it's pretty cool, but given how you apparently have to stick these ones down too I would be wary of how long the batteries actually last for. At some point in the future you're going to have to pull it off and do something with it, apply new tape, etc.

Not noticed these before so seems like they're a new addition.

£220 seems a lot to add a bit of light to the door sills but they do look good:

Nifty idea but hang on for a couple of months and good copies will be available for 14.99 ...

Reactions: Jez_GB and s88ats
There is a bloke in the US called Norman Roberts who makes illuminated sills for Teslas which he will ship to UK for $180 all in. I was tempted when I had my MS but never got round to it - I did email him though, and he confirmed shipping to UK was included. His sills are powered by the car and do look pretty good - installation on a MS here. YouTube link also include contact details if you want to check price etc for M3 which I would expect to be the same.

(Picked this up originally from elsewhere on this forum - MS DIY or similar?)

• Informative
Reactions: s88ats
Oh man....I had aftermarket ones like this installed on both my Rav 4's and I agree that I think they look fantastic and add that extra wow factor when you open the doors....

I had kind of promised myself that i'd spent enough on my Tesla and I wouldn't do something like this...

Then ya had to go and post it didn't ya....

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Tesla ought to allow ambient lighting as a paid upgrade for SR+ owners, no idea why they haven't, unless it really is as simple as them wanting to keep the "premium interior" as a purchasing decision up front rather than having everything available to purchase afterwards.

I'm sure there will have been a lot of research that has been done about the financial benefits in both scenarios.

@VanillaAir_UK I see your forum status is now ”Former Moderator”. Is that a mark of respect like Professor Emeritus” ;)

Just a hopefully polite pointer that I am no longer actively moderating so will not get requests to undertake various tasks. Ironically many of which are not moderator tasks but admin tasks.

A couple of new moderators (along with a number of global mods) are now refereeing the sub forum but I'll leave it to them if/when they make themselves known - not always a good thing to stick your head above the parapet. If anyone needs moderation or admin, best thing to do is report the post or contact admin direct - details at bottom of page via contact us. If the issue doesn't relate to a post, it will be an admin thing. Post reports will go to all moderators for action so normally quicker than waiting on specific people but they may not be quite so understanding of any bigger picture.