Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in car Energy App and V11 software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's actually even worse. I mean, what does it even mean that parking consumed "6 miles" of energy, and climate consumed "4 miles" of energy?

I get it, Tesla wants it to dumb it down so to make it easier for average ppl to understand energy usage (kinda like what Apple did w/ iTunes). But in doing so it makes it even more confusing. What I want is simply what's there before, which is energy consumption rate - kwh/mi. Don't take me as an idiot and let me figure it out from there - it's not that hard.

I mean, why not just keep the old kwh/mi metrics from before AND build new energy screens for newbies? It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. But instead, Tesla decided to kill it altogether.
I get what you are saying. Wh/mi is a consumption rate which you can still find on the Trip screen for current drive, since last charge, etc. It would be nice to have the Wh/mi average on the new Energy app too (seems like they might add that), but this rate doesn't actually tell you how much energy (in %, range or simple capacity) that you've used across all functions, and have remaining. I think there has been strong demand to show what is using how much range in a Tesla (similar to iPhone battery app), so people can opt to drive differently, turn off Sentry, adjust HVAC or cabin overheat, etc. Most people care more about absolute range and capacity than the ongoing, changing usage rate.

The old energy graph did focus more on how the rate of consumption changed over a drive, but that's not incredibly useful unless you put it in context of capacity used / remaining. Hopefully we will get best of both worlds with new app eventually.

I get what you are saying. Wh/mi is a consumption rate which you can still find on the Trip screen for current drive, since last charge, etc. It would be nice to have the Wh/mi average on the new Energy app too (seems like they might add that), but this rate doesn't actually tell you how much energy (in %, range or simple capacity) that you've used across all functions, and have remaining. I think there has been strong demand to show what is using how much range in a Tesla (similar to iPhone battery app), so people can opt to drive differently, turn off Sentry, adjust HVAC or cabin overheat, etc. Most people care more about absolute range and capacity than the ongoing, changing usage rate.

I get what you are saying too. The problem I have with the "dumbed down" display (of miles or %) is that if you dig deeper, it begs the question of what energy consumption assumption is it using? The "rated" estimate? or based on actual usage - and if so, the last trip? the last 10 miles, the last 50 miles, or predicated mileage taken into consideration of where you are going? What if the last 20 miles you drove has been mostly downhill (thereby having a higher than usual efficiency?) It gets muddy.

I have done some analysis in a different thread that shows basically to get rated range on the new S LR, the energy consumption rate need to be around 246 kwh/mi. That's the number I care about. And right now the only place to get near real time consumption is from the Trip app, which I use extensively. I judge my driving efficiency based on comparison to that number.
The old energy graph did focus more on how the rate of consumption changed over a drive, but that's not incredibly useful unless you put it in context of capacity used / remaining. Hopefully we will get best of both worlds with new app eventually.
Yes exactly, we need both. We don't need just one or the other.

Although I haven't used much yet, I would say that the new energy consumption while parking is a nice feature, it shines a light on the stationary electricity consumption, which has mostly been a black box before.

what energy consumption assumption is it using?
This info from the app implies the graph is comparing actual to rated miles (on a real-time basis)? So the rated baseline would use 260 Wh/mi or whatever that EPA standard is for the Tesla calculations.

But then the Trip Planner note indicates the baseline is predicted, not rated, based on driving behavior, elevation changes, etc. I will need to test that to see how rated vs. predicted compare and change during a drive.

23192D77-DA98-428D-98B1-6A5895E39326.jpeg

Last edited: