Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in car Energy App and V11 software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to dedicate a thread to Tesla Energy app, which to me is one of the most useful apps ever - yet it's still not available in V11 software... well, sort of. As it turns out you can still invoke it by using the speech command "Open Energy", or "Show Energy", on the refreshed S.

If I recall correctly, in previous versions I can't even close the Energy app once opened - the only way to get around it is to say "Open Navigation". But it does seem in 2022.16.2 they finally added a pull-down tab to the Energy App at the top - yeah!

It's great to see that Tesla hasn't completely forgotten about one of the best apps ever, but there's no timeline as to when it will be officially returned to the app line-up. :(

What I would like to see in the future:

-Return of the Energy app to the app drawer
-Return of the Energy display option to the driver side display (right now the driver display is such a waste/inefficient use of space). I am actually not 100% optimistic about it, as I think there might be different circuitry/app engine behind it. Reason being I've driven the car while it's on software update (just engage the emergency PRND buttons), and while the 17" screen is completely blank, the driver display and all of its functions still work.
-An explanation on the differences b/w how Trips app calculates wh/mi vs. how Energy app calculates wh/mi. Since Energy app shows at 5, 15, and 30mi intervals, I've checked both apps at those intervals and find the Trips app is consistently 2%-10% higher than the Energy app wh/mi #. The differences gets smaller the longer the interval, usually.

Reactions: SDRick
I have V11 and the energy app. I can display it either on the main screen or in the driver's control panel. This must be a limitation of the rewrite for yoke steering wheel which affects only those vehicles. It is like the high-low beam headlight limitation on auto headlights only affect Yoke cars. Those of us with a stalk can keep their auto headlights on low beam. It could also be programmed like this for Yoke cars, but Tesla isn't there yet.

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou
I want to dedicate a thread to Tesla Energy app, which to me is one of the most useful apps ever - yet it's still not available in V11 software... well, sort of. As it turns out you can still invoke it by using the speech command "Open Energy", or "Show Energy", on the refreshed S.

If I recall correctly, in previous versions I can't even close the Energy app once opened - the only way to get around it is to say "Open Navigation". But it does seem in 2022.16.2 they finally added a pull-down tab to the Energy App at the top - yeah!

It's great to see that Tesla hasn't completely forgotten about one of the best apps ever, but there's no timeline as to when it will be officially returned to the app line-up. :(

What I would like to see in the future:

-Return of the Energy app to the app drawer
-Return of the Energy display option to the driver side display (right now the driver display is such a waste/inefficient use of space). I am actually not 100% optimistic about it, as I think there might be different circuitry/app engine behind it. Reason being I've driven the car while it's on software update (just engage the emergency PRND buttons), and while the 17" screen is completely blank, the driver display and all of its functions still work.
-An explanation on the differences b/w how Trips app calculates wh/mi vs. how Energy app calculates wh/mi. Since Energy app shows at 5, 15, and 30mi intervals, I've checked both apps at those intervals and find the Trips app is consistently 2%-10% higher than the Energy app wh/mi #. The differences gets smaller the longer the interval, usually.
Swipe down to close the window

Mine cuts off one of the most useful parts of the app - the "real time" range calculation. The right side of the app is cut off, so while I can see the little arrow on the box that gives predicted range, the range number itself is cut off.

I'm also hoping it will be officially finished soon!

Mine cuts off one of the most useful parts of the app - the "real time" range calculation. The right side of the app is cut off, so while I can see the little arrow on the box that gives predicted range, the range number itself is cut off.

I'm also hoping it will be officially finished soon!
Mine does that from time to time too, especially on start up. I think if you switch to the navigation screen and back, it will fix that display issue.

It seems in the latest update 2022.20.5, the voice command backdoor for Energy app is no longer available. I tried voice commands "open/show energy", now it's "command not understood". :(

While I liked the new green light chime feature, getting rid of Energy app all together is a big step backward for this new update.

For me, anyway, the main thing that the Energy app was useful for was the SOC prediction up arrival at your destination. This is now in the footer of the navigation list, and every bit as accurate as the old Energy app. The other parts of the Energy app were interesting, but not particularly useful to the vast majority of drivers. I can see why Tesla might not put the effort into maintaining it.

Unbelievable… Open Energy doesn’t work anymore on 2022.20 for 2021+ refresh. Not sure why they are going backwards (again), unless it’s going to be properly released soon as app.
I think it’s not finished and Tesla never intended to display it for the new 2022 refresh cars which is why they removed the voice command. Mine has never ever shown predicted range numbers on the right side.

I’ve used it a lot in learning how my car uses energy, so I hope it returns soon fully functional.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Update: Energy App is back in 2022.36.2!

This is the first time in a long time that I've been this excited about an update! Bad news is so far I really don't like the new interface. Everything is % based, which can be confusing - % of what? And there's no kwh/mi info anywhere that I can find. Where's the old 5 mile, 10 mile, 30 mile interval of energy consumption? Thanks Tesla - you took something that was perfectly functional, changed it to something pretty much useless, and called it a new feature.

And don't get me even started on the in-dash energy app display, which the older S has, but is no longer available on any of the refreshed S...

Reactions: ferventcoder
Go to Settings-Display and switch Energy Display to “Distance”. I can switch back and forth on 36.2.
That's actually even worse. I mean, what does it even mean that parking consumed "6 miles" of energy, and climate consumed "4 miles" of energy?

I get it, Tesla wants it to dumb it down so to make it easier for average ppl to understand energy usage (kinda like what Apple did w/ iTunes). But in doing so it makes it even more confusing. What I want is simply what's there before, which is energy consumption rate - kwh/mi. Don't take me as an idiot and let me figure it out from there - it's not that hard.

I mean, why not just keep the old kwh/mi metrics from before AND build new energy screens for newbies? It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. But instead, Tesla decided to kill it altogether.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay