Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in deal with Daimler (part zwei)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
As expected, the strategic partner is Daimler. Daimler will make a formal announcement about it tomorrow morning at 7am EDT.

StreetInsider.com - Daimler to Announce Strategic Partnership
Daimler to Announce Strategic Partnership

May 18, 2009 2:18 PM EDT
Daimler AG (NYSE: DAI) will announce a new strategic cooperation to make electro mobility a reality.

Press is invited to join the live webcast of the announcement press conference in Stuttgart, Germany, on Tuesday, May 19 at 7:00 am EDT. Login to live Webcast on May 19 at 7:00 am EDT English: Webcast Press Conference, May 19th, 2009 | Daimler > Technology & Innovation

Dr. Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG responsible for Group Research & Mercedes-Benz Cars Development, will present details of the partnership jointly with a key executive of our strategic partner.

Last edited:
Interested to see what this holds.. will they just buy out tesla and use the tech? Will they invest in them and be able to use the tech by association?

I sincerely hope tesla doesn't roll into their company and we start getting Chrysler crap. I'm a fan of just about all VWs but that Routan is an abomination.

Do we get a world standard for a plug?
1259943148421356x236.jpg
?
j1772plug.jpg

Posted by: JimBullis | 05/18/09 | 8:34 pm

Maybe the people at Daimler that understand physics will not stand by while management gets sucked in to the gold rush for American electric car subsidies. When we figure out that plugging in cars actually makes CO2 worse, and those subsidies dry up, Daimler will have a problem rivaling that problem they had owning Chrysler.

Don't you just love opinionated statements that include no facts or reasoning to back them up?

Interested to see what this holds.. will they just buy out tesla and use the tech? Will they invest in them and be able to use the tech by association?

I sincerely hope tesla doesn't roll into their company and we start getting Chrysler crap. I'm a fan of just about all VWs but that Routan is an abomination.

I'm also hoping it's more of a investment or partnership rather than a full buyout. Like you I recognize the cost cutting crap that they did to Chrysler which is for the most part why they are in their situation today.

watch the announcement live:
Webcast Press Conference, May 19th, 2009 | Daimler > Technology & Innovation

Getting started... dude speaking German... now in English.

Elon is there.
"Investment from Daimler"
attachment.php?attachmentid=250&stc=1&d=1242731474.jpg

attachment.php

future partnership extended to fields like battery tech
including battery management
as well as electric drive support from Tesla
exchange of automotive know how for the benefit for both companies.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Elon-Daimler.JPG
    Elon-Daimler.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Wow, sounds really good for both Tesla and for Daimler. This will speed up the electric mobility.

Thomas Weber talked not only of the production of the E smart, but suggested also an electric sportscar, made by daimler.

With this, on Tesla`s side, the production of the model S should be possible and on track until 2011/2012?

Exciting times!

I took a few notes which I'll try to clean up for another post.
But the bottom line is Daimler gets a seat on Tesla's board. Tesla has cell packaging technology and electric drive experience, Daimler has experience with everything else. So they will help each other out in that respect.

Maybe there was a clue at the end of last year:

Evonik and Daimler Establish Strategic Alliance for the Development and Production of Lithium-Ion Batteries | Daimler > Technology & Innovation > News

Evonik Group subsidiary Li-Tec is set to make a significant contribution to the success of this continued development. On 15 December 2008, Daimler AG takes over 49.9 percent of Li-Tec Vermögensverwaltung GmbH (Li-Tec). Evonik Industries AG already holds 50.1 percent. Both partners are seeking the involvement of a third shareholder in Li-Tec with expertise in electrical and electronic systems integration.